This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Are The Sticky Labels On Fruit Gluten-Free?

Lynayah

Lynayah Enthusiast

Something just hit me . . . are the sticky labels on fresh fruit gluten free? I always wash my fruit, but perhaps I should be cutting off the area that has the sticker?

Anyone know?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lynayah Enthusiast

Something that happened today: As I was opening a package of gluten-free Canadian bacon, I had to peel off tons of sticky tape, not to mention the glue that held the top of the package together -- is it gluten-free? Had I not been careful, I could have easily cc'd the meat if it is not.

And what about the sticky peel-off-thingy that's on the aseptic container that holds my gluten-free broth?

Or the glue that holds the foil to the back of my sinus pills?

Or the glue that holds the foil to the top of the Smucker's honey, in the little single-serving packets? (My husband had called the company to ask about this once, and they said "Oh, it should be fine." But they weren't sure.

Or the sticky part of a Sticky Note? Is it full of gluten, the same as a stamp or an envelope (I imagine this one is a resounding yes -- I'm really more concerned about the food stuff).

Okay, so please tell me . . . am I just being paranoid here, or do I have to worry about these gummy-gluey-sticky things that are on food/drugs EVERYWHERE?

VioletBlue Contributor

Very few if any glues contain gluten. The whole glutened by an envelope thing is a myth.

Something that happened today: As I was opening a package of gluten-free Canadian bacon, I had to peel off tons of sticky tape, not to mention the glue that held the top of the package together -- is it gluten-free? Had I not been careful, I could have easily cc'd the meat if it is not.

And what about the sticky peel-off-thingy that's on the aseptic container that holds my gluten-free broth?

Or the glue that holds the foil to the back of my sinus pills?

Or the glue that holds the foil to the top of the Smucker's honey, in the little single-serving packets? (My husband had called the company to ask about this once, and they said "Oh, it should be fine." But they weren't sure.

Or the sticky part of a Sticky Note? Is it full of gluten, the same as a stamp or an envelope (I imagine this one is a resounding yes -- I'm really more concerned about the food stuff).

Okay, so please tell me . . . am I just being paranoid here, or do I have to worry about these gummy-gluey-sticky things that are on food/drugs EVERYWHERE?

VioletBlue Contributor
Open Original Shared Link
Lynayah Enthusiast

Wow -- I've read everywhere that envelopes are problematic. That's news to me. Thank you for posting your reply!

I am now about 6 months into being diagnosed. There is so much to learn!

jackay Enthusiast

Good to learn that cornstarch is in envelope glue. I need to avoid that, too.

Lynayah Enthusiast

Of course, the anal side of me wonders if the corn starch used is absolutely gluten-free.

Does anyone know?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lynayah Enthusiast

Wow -- I've read everywhere that envelopes are problematic. That's news to me. Thank you for posting your reply!

I am now about 6 months into being diagnosed. There is so much to learn!

As for pressure-adhesive USPC stamps -- they are wonderful, but if my fingers touch the sticky side, is there a risk of cc if I touch something else and then put it in my mouth? In other words, is there a chance of ANY gluten in there -- envelopes with corn starch, adhesive stamps, Scotch Tape (or any brand) . . . whatever.

And what about the stickies on fruit, honey, broth, etc?

Lynayah Enthusiast

Good to learn that cornstarch is in envelope glue. I need to avoid that, too.

Yes, so many of us ere are also sensitive to corn. Good point.

Lgood22573 Rookie

I JSUT read in Elizabeth Hasselbeck's book that envelope glue had gluten in it. Her book is cowritten with a gastro doctor. It's hard to determine who to believe, so I just don't like them!

Lisa Mentor

I JSUT read in Elizabeth Hasselbeck's book that envelope glue had gluten in it. Her book is cowritten with a gastro doctor. It's hard to determine who to believe, so I just don't like them!

psawyer Proficient

Sadly, there is A LOT of misinformation in her book.

lovegrov Collaborator

Hasselbeck's book is not a good source for gluten-free information.

Believe me, we all have a lot more to worry about than stick labels. They are gluten-free.

richard

Lynayah Enthusiast

Sadly, there is A LOT of misinformation in her book.

Good to know -- thank you.

Lynayah Enthusiast

Very few if any glues contain gluten. The whole glutened by an envelope thing is a myth.

I am SO grateful to learn that envelopes are not made with glue from wheat. Still though, I am not convinced that envelopes are safe for those who are especially sensitive to small traces of gluten.

I for one cannot use corn starch unless it is labeled gluten free, and even then I have problems with some brands. Unless the envelope company is using gluten-free corn starch, there might be problems.

I should add that at work, I was licking multitudes of envelopes a day -- not just one or two. I was sick, but I am not sure if they made me sick since I was still eating gluten then, too. I haven't tried licking an envelope since.

Are there any super-sensitive folks out there who can lick a lot of envelopes without a problem? Or does it make you sick? Please post here! I'd love to know. Thank you so much.

Lynayah Enthusiast

Hasselbeck's book is not a good source for gluten-free information.

Believe me, we all have a lot more to worry about than stick labels. They are gluten-free.

richard

Thank you, Richard! Might you help: I am working on a project: What is your source for the labels being gluten free? MUCH appreciated.

lovegrov Collaborator

Thank you, Richard! Might you help: I am working on a project: What is your source for the labels being gluten free? MUCH appreciated.

I apologize, but I've read this in so many places that I no longer have a link to where it came from. You might find something through a google search. I've been gluten-free for more than 8 years and really haven't worried at all about sticky labels.

richard

Texasnative Newbie

I am SO grateful to learn that envelopes are not made with glue from wheat. Still though, I am not convinced that envelopes are safe for those who are especially sensitive to small traces of gluten.

I for one cannot use corn starch unless it is labeled gluten free, and even then I have problems with some brands. Unless the envelope company is using gluten-free corn starch, there might be problems.

I should add that at work, I was licking multitudes of envelopes a day -- not just one or two. I was sick, but I am not sure if they made me sick since I was still eating gluten then, too. I haven't tried licking an envelope since.

Are there any super-sensitive folks out there who can lick a lot of envelopes without a problem? Or does it make you sick? Please post here! I'd love to know. Thank you so much.

I have a sponge device that has a water reservoir attached that is just for such things as sealing envelopes, and back in the day, applying stamps. If you are losing sleep over this issue, go to an office supply store and look for one. I think they are widely available.

Lynayah Enthusiast

I apologize, but I've read this in so many places that I no longer have a link to where it came from. You might find something through a google search. I've been gluten-free for more than 8 years and really haven't worried at all about sticky labels.

richard

Thanks; I understand.

Does anyone else out there have a reference to validate this?

Lisa Mentor

Lynayah, it would be easy to wash your fruit well and, if you felt it necessary, cut out the area where the label was stuck to.

There are so many areas of concern on the gluten free diet, this one appears to be an easy fix. :)

kenlove Rising Star

As part of my job in hawaii I sometimes design and and have commercially printed stickers for growers to test market different varieties of avocados, bananas or citrus. Granted these are not on fruit where you would just eat the peel but in my 5 years of being gluten-free and testing fruits from all over the world, I've never had a problem. BUT i do cut off the stickers and most of the skin -- I know how they pick, pack and artificially ripen most fruit. Honestly I would be more worried about what the things are sprayed with than possible glue contamination. I dont mean wheat sprays or things with gluten, just pesticide and herbicide residue. If I shop for my family for something to eat, if I dont grow it, it comes from my neighbors or farmers market.

Lynayah Enthusiast

Lynayah, it would be easy to wash your fruit well and, if you felt it necessary, cut out the area where the label was stuck to.

There are so many areas of concern on the gluten free diet, this one appears to be an easy fix. :)

Thank you for your excellent post.

I agree.

Still, I want to know more.

With my journalism background, I just can't help it. I'm really interested in exploring this sticker thing -- everything from Post-It Notes to fruit stickers.

In addition to exploring at celiac.com, I am in the processes of contacting FDA, etc. But, as many of us here have come to realize . . . "experts" are not always the experts. :)

Many times, WE are the experts, which is why I am counting on everyone here to let me know what they know -- again, thank you for your post!

<laughing> All of this must seem a bit anal (because, let's face it, it IS), but my gut tells me this is something I need to pursue, so I'm going with it.

Lynayah Enthusiast

As part of my job in hawaii I sometimes design and and have commercially printed stickers for growers to test market different varieties of avocados, bananas or citrus. Granted these are not on fruit where you would just eat the peel but in my 5 years of being gluten-free and testing fruits from all over the world, I've never had a problem. BUT i do cut off the stickers and most of the skin -- I know how they pick, pack and artificially ripen most fruit. Honestly I would be more worried about what the things are sprayed with than possible glue contamination. I dont mean wheat sprays or things with gluten, just pesticide and herbicide residue. If I shop for my family for something to eat, if I dont grow it, it comes from my neighbors or farmers market.

GREAT comment.

I agree that what goes on (or around) the fruit is a definite issue. I've started buying organic whenever possible, and I feel so much better doing so.

So, I guess you might say I am equally worried about both issues . . . with organic being No. 1.

I do not know if it is my imagination, but I really do believe that I do MUCH better on organic fruit and vegetables . . . AND I also seem to do better on non-genetically modified produce.

For example, I seem to react to corn, BUT if I eat non-GMO corn, I'm okay. I also do better with heirloom variety legumes as opposed to basic store bought varieties.

I am still experimenting with all this and time will tell, but bottom line: we probably need to eat food the way nature intended us to eat food.

Thank you again for posting your insightful reply.

Lisa Mentor

kenlove Rising Star

Open Original Shared Link is a list I just received today.

I think we will see more and more of this as time marches on. I also think we will see links between celiac and other dietary issues and the altered food sources that cause them. I dont see how it can all be blamed on genetics.

My background is wire service journalism and while in Asia trained as a chef and in horticulture.

take care

GREAT comment.

I agree that what goes on (or around) the fruit is a definite issue. I've started buying organic whenever possible, and I feel so much better doing so.

So, I guess you might say I am equally worried about both issues . . . with organic being No. 1.

I do not know if it is my imagination, but I really do believe that I do MUCH better on organic fruit and vegetables . . . AND I also seem to do better on non-genetically modified produce.

For example, I seem to react to corn, BUT if I eat non-GMO corn, I'm okay. I also do better with heirloom variety legumes as opposed to basic store bought varieties.

I am still experimenting with all this and time will tell, but bottom line: we probably need to eat food the way nature intended us to eat food.

Thank you again for posting your insightful reply.

Archived