asd1234

Need Help With Convenience Stores Products In Japan

Rate this topic

well, since im not diagnosed yet and i dont know what to eat because almost everything i eat gives me some stomach pains, i live in japan and i just have a convenience store nearby and we dont go shopping to the supermarket very often so i wanna now if Lawson's convenience stores products that may contain any kind of gluten or gluten ingredients.

if someone who lives in japan please send me a pm with your email so we can exchange ideas about my situation

well, since im not diagnosed yet and i dont know what to eat because almost everything i eat gives me some stomach pains, i live in japan and i just have a convenience store nearby and we dont go shopping to the supermarket very often so i wanna now if Lawson's convenience stores products that may contain any kind of gluten or gluten ingredients.

if someone who lives in japan please send me a pm with your email so we can exchange ideas about my situation

If you do a search on this board for Japan you may find some posts with information about foods. Not specific products as much as ingredients to watch out for or composition of dishes, safer choices etc. I and some others have posted info. in the past. Generally specaking, the rules are the same there that they are here or anywhere. The basics of the gluten-free diet are fresh fruits and vegetables, some whole grains that are pure, fresh meats etc. whole foods. Anything that is processed or comes in a package or prepared by someone else can be suspect. Soy sauce is one of the main seasoning ingredients and is used in so many things that you would not imagine. It contains wheat. It is used in the rolled omlettes for example. You will find in the past posts names in Japanese of ingedients to avoid. Glucose syrup can be made from barley. However, I think it would be easier to focus on what you can have and then find some gluten-free substitute/supplementary products, which are available and some examples and sources have been cited and linked to in past posts. If you are going to be there a while, things can be ordered online or purchased certain plces in Japan. There are several resources available. A gluten-free diet means making lifestyle adjustments for all of us but our health is worth it. You may have to buy a reusable bento box and tote your meals with you like the Japanese do.

At the convenience store at least you could get pure milk, pure one-fruit juice(apple, orange), hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit, and plain rice, maybe cheese, maybe plain ham. You could live on these things and make simple meals from them for a while until you figure out more options. Do you have access to cooking facilities? Even with just a rice cooker, you can add chopped meat and veg. to the pot to have a complete meal. A Japanese wife taught this once young, single girl to make nabe(hot-pot) by just simmering a piece of konbu in water, adding a few pieces of fish(sold in individual servings and already cut to size)and a few veggies. Serve with rice. That's it. Simple, healthy meal.

There are a lot of old discussions on the forum that you can search for and find.

I live in Hawaii but have had a place in Tokyo for 30 years and celiac for 5.

Do not eat Lawsons onigiri! Or family mart or 7-11

99% of those fast food onigiri have ko-mugi1 starch and/or other wheat by product.

IN some cases at family mart the nori is from Korea and processed with shoyu -- also wheat.

Soy sauce, in case you dint know is most wheat and not soy. In health food stores you can get wheat free soy made from soy, or sorghum or amaranth. If you live hear the 24 hour bento places with the pink signs, they sometimes have some good safe salads, especially the gobo salad. family mart gobo salad is good too.

I never did find much at lawsons compared to family mart though

good luck

There are a lot of old discussions on the forum that you can search for and find.

I live in Hawaii but have had a place in Tokyo for 30 years and celiac for 5.

Do not eat Lawsons onigiri! Or family mart or 7-11

99% of those fast food onigiri have ko-mugi1 starch and/or other wheat by product.

IN some cases at family mart the nori is from Korea and processed with shoyu -- also wheat.

Soy sauce, in case you dint know is most wheat and not soy. In health food stores you can get wheat free soy made from soy, or sorghum or amaranth. If you live hear the 24 hour bento places with the pink signs, they sometimes have some good safe salads, especially the gobo salad. family mart gobo salad is good too.

I never did find much at lawsons compared to family mart though

good luck

thanks for the advices, i really appreciate it

Let us know where you are in Japan. Maybe I can come up with some other places.

good luck!

thanks for the advices, i really appreciate it