Winny

How Long Until Gluten-Free Diet Makes A Difference?

Rate this topic

Newbie question...

I was recently (one month ago) diagnosed with Coeliac, based on positive biopsy / negative blood work.

I have not had any improvement in my symptoms (diarrhoea 4 months) and I am wondering if there is some other cause and the celiac disease is incorrect.

Two years ago I had a similar episode of 'symptoms' which lasted for about nine weeks then spontaneously stopped! I was biopsied at the time and (I think) I remember Coeliac being queried. I didn't follow it up because I was no longer symptomatic and I thought it was just a "lupus" thing. (I have SLE.)

Is it possible that celiac disease would behave like this? ie - with NO change in diet? I am quite happy with the gluten-free diet - lost 10kg :) - but could really do without the close association with the toilet.

Is there any 'normal' time for recovery?

Thanks for any comments

Winny

The celiac diagnosis would be correct--make sure your diet is actually gluten free. If you're not querying every single thing you eat and drink for hidden sources of gluten, then you'll still get it in your diet. Anything listed with 'natural and artificial flavors' is suspect, anything under gluten's various other names, etc. It can take months to figure out what actually has gluten and what doesn't--spices, instant coffee, these can all have gluten in them. In addition, a lot of foods that don't have any gluten ingredients on them are contaminated in the factory--things like chips come to mind.

You may be getting cross contaminated--throw out all your old condiments like peanut butter, butter, jelly, etc.--anything you would have redipped a knife into. You shouldn't reuse an old toaster, colander, scratched pans, or wooden utensils--or share these with a gluten eater.

Check your beauty and pet products too. Lotion is big one.

Keep in mind it can take up to 2 years for your intestines to heal. You should, however, being feeling better by now. I have been up and down these four months of gluten free--but I've been steadily progressing for better.

My two thoughts are as follows: secondary lactose intolerence, very common with Celiac Disease or guar gum (or any gum) allergy. I have personally noticed that since switching to gluten-free foods I still had some negative results with the new diet. Cottage cheese nearly killed me!!! I started looking at the gluten-free products very carefully and alot of them contain a gum additive for thickening. The suspect cottage cheese contained 4 different gums. Just a thought at any rate.