This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Other Strange Symptoms

flowerpower12

flowerpower12 Rookie

I've been reading about symptoms from various places online and have also found I have even MORE symptoms than I thought before..just wondering if anyone else has had these maybe?

1. Dry skin

2. Mouth sores(I have only had one,it lasted about two days and my tongue swelled up)

3.Padding on feet?(I have noticed on the heel of my right foot when I press on it it's very tingly, is this a symptom?)

4. Although I do not really want to eat, I've noticed that I get random cravings for no reason..

5. My stomach also makes very strange noises anytime I eat or drink.

These are just some symptoms I'm not sure about, I've had many others that are much more common than these but I'm wondering if these may also add to that list?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

I had 2 and 4. Both are definitely symptoms. My mouth sores ended as soon as I went gluten-free. The random cravings are because your body is not getting the nutrients it needs. In fact, some malnourished people, including those with celiac, eat dirt or soft rocks because of those cravings for certain minerals. I did when I was a kid but I had no idea why.

richard

flowerpower12 Rookie

Also is left side pain a symptom?

or even kidney/liver area soreness?

newgfcali Rookie

...and I had 1, 3 and 5. There. That's the whole list.

Number 3 sounds like peripheral neuropathy, which is nerve damage. It can manifest as a numbness, tingling or even electric shock-like shooting pains. It typically attacks feet and hands, thus the "peripheral" name.

I think we probably all had number 5. The "grumblies" I call them. I used to dread being in a meeting after lunch (a whole wheat bread sandwich, of course) and my tummy would be playing a very loud tune for all to hear. Now after being gluten free for months, it's as quiet as a mouse. Quite a relief.

flowerpower12 Rookie

Yes it's quite embarrassing when your stomach decides to have its "grumblies"...

Number 3 isn't so much a numbness or pain, it just feels strange to me..

David in Seattle Explorer

Yes it's quite embarrassing when your stomach decides to have its "grumblies"...

I'm in a similar situation, recent onset (little over a year) trying to figure out if it's celiac, IBD, etc. I have #3 to an extent. The bottom of my right big toe feels as if there's a layer of padding permanently attached to it when I walk, compared to the sensations of the other digits. Just slightly numb. Oddly, it's only like this in response to pressure, if you touch it in other ways, it feels normal/like the other toes.

flowerpower12 Rookie

This sounds gross but are bloody noses a symptom?

I read that earlier..

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

newgfcali Rookie

Some people experience PN differently and describe it as feeling like you have a sock on your foot when you don't. You can feel your foot, but it's kinda "removed", not a direct sensation. Hard to describe -- does that make sense?

flowerpower12 Rookie

Some people experience PN differently and describe it as feeling like you have a sock on your foot when you don't. You can feel your foot, but it's kinda "removed", not a direct sensation. Hard to describe -- does that make sense?

Yes. Thank you that sort of helps me.

:)

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Hi Moemoe,

I had the belly rumbles also and bloody noses when I was a kid. I could be sound asleep and wake up with my nose bleeding, reading a book, watching tv. Didn't matter what I was doing my nose would bleed. Sometimes upwards of 3 to 4 times a day, then it might skip a few days. Always was anemic, no matter how much iron they would give me. It made me sick, no matter how much iron or in what form. After 6 months of being gluten free I am no longer anemic after 38 years.

Also had the mouth sores as well as open sores on the top of my head for about 22 years, that would not go away no matter what kind of meds or medical shampoos the dr's gave me. 6 weeks after going gluten free they were gone and they stay gone unless I seriously gluten myself.

Do what testing you need to do, but if they come back negative, which they do about half the time, go gluten free anyway and I bet you will see a world of differnce.

Good luck to you.

Vicky

Archived