detritus

Is It Weird That I Think I Only Want To Date Gluten-Free Men?

Rate this topic

Hi, I'm about two weeks into being gluten free. I've tossed everything around me that contains gluten, including my favorite lipstick. Now I feel somewhat safe, and I think I'm reluctant to risk exposure to gluten by dating someone who eats it. Is that terrible of me? I also don't know if it would be hard for someone who isn't celiac to understand what I go through. How do all you celiac singletons out there navigate the gluten-ated dating world?

By any chance do you reside in the NY-NJ-CT Tristate area??

Hi, I'm about two weeks into being gluten free. I've tossed everything around me that contains gluten, including my favorite lipstick. Now I feel somewhat safe, and I think I'm reluctant to risk exposure to gluten by dating someone who eats it. Is that terrible of me? I also don't know if it would be hard for someone who isn't celiac to understand what I go through. How do all you celiac singletons out there navigate the gluten-ated dating world?

There are many of us here who are in relationships with people who do not share our condition. If you had a peanut allergy, would you only date people who were also allergic to peanuts? Obviously, if both parties in the relationship have the same intolerances, it makes things easier, but it is not a requirement. Too much of our social life revolves around food, but it can be worked around. Focus first on the person, have something else in the date (show, movie, whatever), and push dinner to the bottom of the list.

Disclaimer: I have been married to the same wonderful woman, who saw me through my years of undiagnosed celiac disease, for 28 years. I am not really current on the dating scene. <_<

You may spend a lot of time alone if you only will date gluten free. My sweetie is a gluten eater, but he is careful, and it works out just fine.

Considering that only 1 in 5000 people are diagnosed with celiac, I've only met one other celiac in my life living in metropolitan So Cal so no small towns here, most doctors have never had a celiac patient or maybe one in 30 years of practice (according to my own doc, friends and relatives who are docs) ummmm... good luck finding one first of all, and then you have to like each other.

It's not weird, just pretty much impossible.

By any chance do you reside in the NY-NJ-CT Tristate area??

Ha ha, unfortunately I just moved to LA after 20 years of living in NY:)

Ha ha, unfortunately I just moved to LA after 20 years of living in NY:)

And here we almost had a wedding! :lol::lol::lol::P

And here we almost had a wedding! :lol: :lol: :lol::P

I know! AndrewNYC could be my 1 in 5000 !:D

How many profile views have you had since you posted this topic. LOL.

Ha ha, okay, so maybe I WAS a little provocative :) But it IS honestly how I feel. Although I'm starting to think that maybe there aren't a lot of single celiacs out there.....huh.gif

There are a lot more gluten free guys out they, they just don't know it yet.

I have been married for 36 years to a gluten junky. I do think it would be easier if he knew before he married me that I had to be so careful about what I ate, washing hands and dishes, etc.

My advise is find a very understanding guy who is able to support your gluten free lifestyle.

There are a lot more gluten free guys out they, they just don't know it yet.

I have been married for 36 years to a gluten junky. I do think it would be easier if he knew before he married me that I had to be so careful about what I ate, washing hands and dishes, etc.

My advise is find a very understanding guy who is able to support your gluten free lifestyle.

Exactly. They're all being misdiagnosed. Maybe you need to start looking for guys with IBS because eventually they'll end up being diagnosed as celiac most likely. :lol::lol:

Given the short amount of time you've been gluten-free, I'm guessing there's a good chance you'll change your view on this.

richard

Given the short amount of time you've been gluten-free, I'm guessing there's a good chance you'll change your view on this.

richard

It's true. Maybe I can start off with only gluten-free men, and then kind of add back in the gluten-eaters as I try adding back other things I've cut out like cheese and nightshades.........

Exactly. They're all being misdiagnosed. Maybe you need to start looking for guys with IBS because eventually they'll end up being diagnosed as celiac most likely. :lol::lol:

Good idea! Widen the playing field!wink.gif

richard

Respectfully, I disagree. Birds of a feather flock together.

Glad to see you have a sense of humor about it. :D

The last thing I care about is dating, hell its hard enough to be around friends. I am tired of explaining, and right now only enjoy folks that get it, so that it is not the topic of conversation.

It does get easier, bringing your own food, researching restaurants before hand, etc. Now when I tell the story, I laugh and say listen up, I am going to tell you about this one time...and don't ask me if I can have JUST A LITTLE wheat, cake, gluten.

I would like to quit itching long enough to watch a movie or go to a party or shopping for an afternoon.

It's true. Maybe I can start off with only gluten-free men, and then kind of add back in the gluten-eaters as I try adding back other things I've cut out like cheese and nightshades.........

Okay that's hilarious!!! ROFL!

This is officially my favorite thread right now.

Hee hee, I'm glad we share the same sense of humour:D

You'd want to rotate them in. And be sure to keep a careful journal of your reactions.

• Upvote 2

Maybe a job in a GI office? Would meet lots of guys with gut issues. Maybe Celiac.com could start a dating/matchmaking forum. :P

You'd want to rotate them in. And be sure to keep a careful journal of your reactions.

Ah ha ha ha ha ha!

Maybe a job in a GI office? Would meet lots of guys with gut issues. Maybe Celiac.com could start a dating/matchmaking forum. :P

oops! I thought that was what this is:blink: