mygfworld

Taxes

Rate this topic

Does anyone have the link to how i take the cost of the gluten free foods off my taxes. I know it's the difference in the cost of gluten-free food vs the cost of regular food. But I'd like to see the actual info on how to claim it on my taxes.

Thanks!

It's a medical expense. It has to be something like more than 7.5% of your salary before you can start to deduct it.

http://aglutenfreeguide.com/the-gluten-free-diet-and-tax-deductions.html

A few things you need first:

* This will be part of your medical expenses deduction so you must have sufficient medical expenses (as a % of your earnings) to itemize your deductions.

* A doctor’s letter to substantiate your condition as DIAGNOSED Celiac Disease.

* Receipts.

What you can deduct:

* You can claim mileage expenses, and postage/shipping fees for special needs shopping.

* The price difference between regular and gluten-free products. If you were buying wheat pasta for .99 and now buy gluten free pasta for $5.00, you have to deduct the difference and that amount is used for the deduction. If you eat cereal, for example & regular corn flakes are $3.50 but gluten-free corn flakes are $5.49 for a box half the size, you have to figure the cost per ounce then calculate the difference.

* The full cost of some replacement items such as gluten-free flour and xanthan gum. Some items are not interchangeable i.e. rice flour is not a one-to-one replacement for wheat flour the way pasta or cereal is so the entire cost is deductible.

* Restaurant surcharges – any extra fees that restaurants charge for gluten-free bread or pasta can be completely deducted.

According to Celiac.com:

“After you file, your IRS office may refer you to Publication 17 and tell you these deductions are not permissible. IRS representatives have ruled otherwise and this is applicable throughout the US Refer them to the following Citations:

Revenue Ruling 55-261

Cohen 38 TC 387

Revenue Ruling 76-80, 67 TC 481

Flemming TC MEMO 1980 583

Van Kalb TC MEMO 1978 366″

I'm deducting mine from my empmloyer's flexible spending medical account. The same one I deduct my prescription and office visit expenses from. That way, it does not have to be above the 7.5% mark. I just need to set aside the right amount of money at the beginning of the year and check with my HR department to make sure they consider gluten-free food expenses allowable.

I'm deducting mine from my empmloyer's flexible spending medical account. The same one I deduct my prescription and office visit expenses from. That way, it does not have to be above the 7.5% mark. I just need to set aside the right amount of money at the beginning of the year and check with my HR department to make sure they consider gluten-free food expenses allowable.

From all the research I've done, you can't use your HSA credit card to buy your gluten-free foods. So if you could pass along the links that state you can use your HSA account, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks for the info about the tax codes everyone.