This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Reactions To Gluten After Being Gluten Free For 6 Weeks?

Beccels

Beccels Rookie

Hi Everyone,

I just had a quick question.

I have been dairy, wheat and gluten free for 6 weeks now. I have the gene, but unsure if I am sensitive or not as my possible symptoms aren't typical (migraine aura / derealization).

Yesterday was a hard day diet wise as I was at my god daughters birthday party almost all day and I didn't really think ahead with my diet planning. I had a cup of tea with milk, a bread roll with a sausage, and a tiny little cup cake.

By last night I had a really bad pressure headache to the point I took pain killers. And today my bowel movements aren't good.

I have never experienced anything that I would call typical celiac or gluten reactions. So I was wondering if this could possible be a reaction. And could it just be a 'new' reaction as my body is no longer used to eating this or could it just a more pronounced relation as I am no gluten free ? Does that make sense? ha!

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Hi Everyone,

I have never experienced anything that I would call typical celiac or gluten reactions. So I was wondering if this could possible be a reaction. And could it just be a 'new' reaction as my body is no longer used to eating this or could it just a more pronounced relation as I am no gluten free ? Does that make sense? ha!

Thanks!

It is a more pronounced reaction because you have been gluten free. Your body is telling you that being gluten free is the way it wants you to be. It is not uncommon at all for the reactions to be more severe after we go gluten free.

Beccels Rookie

It is a more pronounced reaction because you have been gluten free. Your body is telling you that being gluten free is the way it wants you to be. It is not uncommon at all for the reactions to be more severe after we go gluten free.

Hi! Thanks for your reply!

But would it be that way with anyone who just decided to go off Gluten for any reason? Or might it be a bit more of a hint as to being Celiac or Gluten Sensitive?

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Hi! Thanks for your reply!

But would it be that way with anyone who just decided to go off Gluten for any reason? Or might it be a bit more of a hint as to being Celiac or Gluten Sensitive?

If you don't have a problem with gluten then adding it back in wouldn't cause any reaction. Having a reaction to gluten after being off it is called a challenge. It is quite a valid tool in diagnosis. IMHO the best there is. It is more than just a hint that someone needs to avoid gluten.

Narziss Newbie

Hi Everyone,

I have been dairy, wheat and gluten free for 6 weeks now. I have the gene, but unsure if I am sensitive or not as my possible symptoms aren't typical (migraine aura / derealization).

Yesterday was a hard day diet wise as I was at my god daughters birthday party almost all day and I didn't really think ahead with my diet planning. I had a cup of tea with milk, a bread roll with a sausage, and a tiny little cup cake.

By last night I had a really bad pressure headache to the point I took pain killers. And today my bowel movements aren't good.

Thanks!

My only two symptoms were frequently recurring diarrhea and headaches. Many of these headaches were severe pressure headaches in the front top of my head that would appear 2-4 hours after eating a lot of gluten containing products.

I'm not a confirmed celiac yet, but after four weeks of having gone gluten-free, these pressure headaches decreased in frequency and severity after just a few days and most significantly after two weeks.

Beccels Rookie

Hi!

The headaches are only new to me. Even though my main possible symptom is technically 'migraine', I never get a headache with it at all. Its just neurological symptoms.

The headache I get now, which I think it a result of gluten feels like my head is in a vice. And I get pain behind my eyes. And then I will get mini thunder clap pains on either side.

Narziss, congrats on your diet. Feels strange saying congrats, but its such a triumph to persevere and reach such a wonderful result!

Archived