David in Seattle

Borderline Vitamin Test Results

Rate this topic

I had a Vitamin blood level test about 10 days ago. This is after about 3 months no-gluten, and taking a multivitamin each day. Note that the carotene is low, the D, lowish, and the B12 "normal". I would be interested in hearing what anyone thinks of these results:

Carotene 84, normal range 90 - 280.

Vitamin D 25 OH total, 23.2, normal range 20.1 - 50.

Vitamin B12 406, normal range 247 - 911.

Thanks

David

I think it can take a while for levels to get back up to optimal levels. I had bloodwork done just two weeks ago, I've been gluten-free for almost 5 years.

Despite taking a multivitamin, calcium w/D, and a vitamin D suppliment (800mg) daily, my vitamin D level was slightly low. My doctor thinks I still may not be absorbing it properly.

I had a Vitamin blood level test about 10 days ago. This is after about 3 months no-gluten, and taking a multivitamin each day. Note that the carotene is low, the D, lowish, and the B12 "normal". I would be interested in hearing what anyone thinks of these results:

Thanks

David

For me, I felt really bad when my B12 was in the 4's. I feeol great with B12 in the 8's. You see, your body will rob B12 from your bones and everything else to keep your blood level up. Supplement with 2000 mcg daily of sublinigual b12 under the tongue at bedtime. I think your D could use some supplementation as well, since you are on the low side and Celiacs are prone to osteoporosis. I take Caltrate +D, plus 2000 iu of Vitamin D daily. I am not familiar with dosage of Carotene, but you obviously need some.

Doctors are typically ok with stuff in the low range, and most feel better in the middle range.

Thanks

David

I've never known anyone tested for Carotene before -- Vitamin A?? If so, very low.

Vitamin D, also very low. My level was higher than yours and I was told by my rheumatologist that the dose my PCP put me on 50,000 IU once a month, was not enough, that it was merely providing me with enough gas to get to the service station to fill up again. She said I had to fill up the tank first, with that dose once a week for six weeks, then retest, and if good revert to once a month, which I did. I still take a daily supplement as well.

B12 --your is higher than mine was. Did they test folate too? Both of mine were low normal, but supplementation has made the world of difference to mood and energy. I had to take B12 shots because I did not tolerate the sublinguals. I took approx. 900 iu folic acid a day.

The ranges that are measured in the blood stream are not necessarily bioavailable to the body (don't ask me why, I don't understand it, but that is the "common wisdom",) and also the "normal" ranges are so wide as to be questionable. Most people seem to feel better when they are mid- to high-range.