kareng

Anyone Take D3 In Large Doses?

Rate this topic

Hope this is the right place to put this. My vitamin D is really low. What a surprise :) Has anyone taking the D3 50,000 units once a week? It didn't come with any info on side effects or proper way to take. Did find out its gluten-free. thanks.

I take one Rx vitamin D2 50,0000 iu capsule weekly and have for a little over a year. My endocrinologist prescribed it after my labs showed I was deficient. My gyn doctor is very gung ho on everyone taking vitamin D and suggested I stay on it year round. My last vitamin D test showed it was 54. He wants it no lower than 50 but 70 would be ideal for him. Most literature suggests that D3 is better absorbed and has been an interest of heated debate since some evidence suggested that D2 was equivilant to D3. I'm not here to debate this at all. I am doing well on my Rx and it is more cost effective for me. On the other hand my husband is taking Nature Made vitamin D3 4,000 iu/day. He has not had his level checked, but I suggested it to him since he seems to get moody and depressed in the winter. I think it has had a very positive effect for him.

Edited by Roda

I take rx D2 50,0000 iu's weekly and have for a little over a year. My endocrinologist prescribed it after my labs showed I was deficient. My gyn doctor is very gung ho on everyone taking vitamin D and suggested I stay on it year round. My last vitamin D test showed it was 54. He wants it no lower than 50 but 70 would be ideal for him. Most literature suggests that D3 is better absorbed and has been an interest of heated debate since some evidence suggested that D2 was equivilant to D3. I'm not here to debate this at all. I am doing well on my rx and it is more cost effective for me. On the other hand my husband is taking Nature Made vitamin D3 4,000 iu/day. He has not had his level checked, but I suggested it to him since he seems to get moody and depressed in the winter. I think it has had a very positive effect for him.

Do you need to take with food? Without food? I got no instructions. Am currently taking big doses of iron 2 times a day that have lots of instructions & restrictions. Take 6 hours of my day - can't eat or drink other than water 1 hour before & 2 after.

Any side effects? Thanks

Do you need to take with food? Without food? I got no instructions. Am currently taking big doses of iron 2 times a day that have lots of instructions & restrictions. Take 6 hours of my day - can't eat or drink other than water 1 hour before & 2 after.

Any side effects? Thanks

I take it usually anytime between morning and early afternoon. Tuesday is my day I take it. I have not noticed any adverse effects from it at all. About 6 weeks after starting it I noticed a great deal more energy and better moods including pms. I'm suposed to be taking two slowFe iron pills a day, but have not in several months. I have to really make sure I don't take it within a certain time frame from my thyroid meds and I take one of them twice a day. I work 3rd so I would need to take it when I am sleeping, and I'm not waking up for that. I am going to start taking it again on my days off since I alternate working 4 on/3 off one week and 3 on/4 off the next. At least it will be better than nothing.

I initially took it once a month (the 50,000) until my rheumatologist said I needed to take it once a week to fill the tank and another doc said the same. I took it for about three months once a week, and retest showed my tank was overflowing, so cut back to once a month with daily 2,000 IU. No side effects, no particular time I take it, but oh, what a ddfference!!

Thanks everyone. I guess Tuesdays will be my day too.

I took 50,000IU three times a week for 4 months. My levels are normal now, and my secondary hyperparathyroidism is gone too :D Now I take 4000 IU daily.

My doctor suggested taking Vitamin D with Vitamin C for better absorption.

My doctor suggested taking Vitamin D with Vitamin C for better absorption.

Good thought as I need to make sure I get some for my iron, too. Do you think a margarita has enough vitamin C? ;)

I take 100,000IU once a month. On the full moon so I remember :lol: It brought my levels up nicely and they are about 80 now.

my mom took d3 at 50,000 3x week and now once a week. she felt better and noticed a major difference as time went on! she was very nervous about taking such a large step out dose but didn't have any problems at all.

I am currently taking 5000IU as my levels were at 6 about 3 months ago, I take one a day per docs orders. I was afraid to take it at first because I was on Warfarin too...my doc didn't think it should interact. So my D levels are now at 52... he wants me between 25-70 according to what they told me on the phone.

I am also taking 1 to 2 irons(Solgars brand) a day and need to take probably 3 because my last tests last week said my iron didn't go up any (at 19). My absortion rate went from 5 to 4 and my hemoglobin went up from 9 to 11.6...so my doc was happy about my vitamin D level and hemoglobin and told me to take a vitamin C with the iron...or try a different one with vitamin C in it...try anything to make it go up. So I bought C crystals to add to my water(neat thing I found). You could also eat high vitamin C foods with it, just no milk type product.

What I have found because of my frustration with the iron levels not going up after reading quite a few sites is that iron binds with milk products, fiber, coffee has tannins that block it, colas also block it and teas have something in them too...oh and chocolate. I am wondering too if sugary products inhibit the absorption too. :( So I am trying to be free of all those blockers until my iron comes up. Hopefully this helps someone. :)

my endo wants me to take 1000iu per day, but it hurt my insides. I wish I could take sups without any problems, but they always mess with me. My daughter and fiance can take anything without problems, they are so lucky!

my endo wants me to take 1000iu per day, but it hurt my insides. I wish I could take sups without any problems, but they always mess with me. My daughter and fiance can take anything without problems, they are so lucky!

My internist also told me to take 1000iu / day. I have terrible problems with most suppliments, but have had no issues with Kirkman Labs Hypoallergenic Vitamin D. I also take their Hypoallergenic Everyday Multi.

http://www.kirkmanlabs.com/Hypoallergic_Product.aspx

I forgot that I came across an article about vitamin D3 and that it is fat soluble so I drank a little bit of milk with it or take it with my cereal in the mornings. So you need to take it with something that has fat in it.(As far as my understanding). I forgot to post this on my earlier post.

I am also taking 1 to 2 irons(Solgars brand) a day and need to take probably 3 because my last tests last week said my iron didn't go up any (at 19). My absortion rate went from 5 to 4 and my hemoglobin went up from 9 to 11.6...so my doc was happy about my vitamin D level and hemoglobin and told me to take a vitamin C with the iron...or try a different one with vitamin C in it...try anything to make it go up. So I bought C crystals to add to my water(neat thing I found). You could also eat high vitamin C foods with it, just no milk type product.

What I have found because of my frustration with the iron levels not going up after reading quite a few sites is that iron binds with milk products, fiber, coffee has tannins that block it, colas also block it and teas have something in them too...oh and chocolate. I am wondering too if sugary products inhibit the absorption too. :( So I am trying to be free of all those blockers until my iron comes up. Hopefully this helps someone. :)

My iron comes with very specific instructions & my levels went up quickly. No food, drink, vitamin or medication except water 1 hour before you take it & 2 hours after you take it. It will bind with other things & not be absorbed & can mess up the other things. If it bothers your stomach, a small piece of banana or fruit seems to be OK.

My internist also told me to take 1000iu / day. I have terrible problems with most suppliments, but have had no issues with Kirkman Labs Hypoallergenic Vitamin D. I also take their Hypoallergenic Everyday Multi.

http://www.kirkmanlabs.com/Hypoallergic_Product.aspx

Thanks Patti! I'm checking it out right now.