This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Alright Then Who Eats Them?

sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

So the website states that they have wheat but others are saying it's processed out. I'm wondering how many people on here eat McDonald's fries and do not react to them?

One more thing to make things complicated I guess.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

flagbabyds Collaborator

never ever will I eat them again, i've gotten sick from them one too many times...

kareng Grand Master

Thank you Sandsurf. I was going to start this thread. I know I'm not the most popular person right now because I posted the info from McDonalds on another thread. I suppose it is possible that in other countries (not US) they are OK. A little history on McD's fries. Many years ago it was common to fry in lard. When they wanted to switch to whatever oil they switched to , they did a taste test that my mom & some of her friends participated in (blind tests but was very clear it was McDs). They tried different fries made with & without the beefy flavorings. Everyone liked the beefy ones. I know they have changed oils & probably flavorings over the years, but the web-site says they have wheat in or on them.

I loved McD's fries so I would love them to be gluten-free. :(

luvs2eat Collaborator

After reading on here many times that they are OKAY for us... I've had a small order several times w/ no problems at all. I don't eat them cause I don't NEED them... or rather my butt doesn't.

Darissa Contributor

We don't eat the fries at McDonalds, but we do love the frys at ChickFilA and also In and Out. Both are in dedicated fryers. Neither one has gluten in the actual fries. They are both Very good! Both places we visit are always willing to cook us new fries so there is no CC from handeling the fires.

ciavyn Contributor

I've had them several times with no issue. BUT I'm just as happy with Ore Ida's (sp?) fast food french fries.

Juliebove Rising Star

Won't touch them because... They also contain milk. I am no longer allergic to dairy but was told not to have it because the allergy could come back. And it seems each time I have eaten cheese since then, I have thrown up. So no go for me. Daughter is also allergic to wheat. So for her it's not just the gluten.

They have lied too many times for me to be comfortable with their food. If I had to eat there for some reason, I would get a drink, apples, maybe a side salad if they had it (not all do) and perhaps a burger patty or three. If I recall, they are very small.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

After reading on here many times that they are OKAY for us... I've had a small order several times w/ no problems at all. I don't eat them cause I don't NEED them... or rather my butt doesn't.

:lol::lol: Mine doesn't either but a treat never hurts once in awhile.

Some people are getting sick from them and some aren't. Hmmmmmm.

Lisa Mentor

I have had no issue with McD's Fries, but I accept the risk of possible cross contamination from any fast food restaurant.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Some people are getting sick from them and some aren't. Hmmmmmm.

We do often have different levels of sensitivity here. Since you are newly diagnosed I would wait a bit and then perhaps think of giving them a try... if you turn out to be someone who is less rather than more sensitive.

I am very sensitive and avoid them.

jerseyangel Proficient

Like most things Celiac, the fry issue is so individual. I'm pretty sensitive so there are many, many things that are deemed "safe for Celiacs" that others can eat that I can't. The official word on McD's is that the final product is gluten-free. That does not mean that no Celiacs will react to them. No one can give a guarantee like that. We all have our own level of sensitivity and the longer you are at this, the more familiar you will get with what agrees with you and what doesn't.

txplowgirl Enthusiast

I get d EVERY single time i've ate them, that was 3 times. I won't touch them again. But then again maybe it's because I have a problem with the nightshades. But so far with nightshades I usually have pain and swelling. So, in my opinion I have been glutened by MCD fries.

Wolicki Enthusiast

I would never eat McD's fries, first because they're not that great and second, and this is a big second: They contain gluten!

French Fries

French Fries:

Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*, citric acid [preservative]), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain color), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness). Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent.

CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK *(Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients).

psawyer Proficient

I have been following the McDonalds question closely since the day it first came up here, just over four years ago.

A wheat-derived ingredient is used in a flavor added to the oil in which the fries are partially fried before freezing. This is true in the United States, but not in Canada. I believe the US is the only country where it is an issue.

The US fries have been independently tested and found to be free of detectable gluten. Open Original Shared Link

Find out *all* the facts, and then make your own personal decision. I consider McDonalds fries to be gluten-free and when I am in the US I eat them.

From another discussion about the McD fries. This has got to be the most debated question ever on this board.

Archived