txplowgirl

Literature, Where Would I Find It?

Rate this topic

Ok, I have a friend who owns a restaurant. I have been keeping him up to date on my gluten status and he is very receptive about it to the point that he is wondering about having a little seminar like thing at his restaurant about gluten and he was asking me if I would be willing to be the one who does the presentation. AARRHHH, the thought of getting in front of a group of people scares the hell out of me but yet at the same time I feel kind of excited.

So my question would be is where would I find some pamphlets and or simple literature that would explain this simply.

My friend has said that if this goes over fairly well, he will sponsor these meetings at least once a month and he will also start cooking some dishes that are gluten free. Yes, i've explained about the cross contamination issues and such. He is starting to read up on this.

Any ideas?

Ok, I have a friend who owns a restaurant. I have been keeping him up to date on my gluten status and he is very receptive about it to the point that he is wondering about having a little seminar like thing at his restaurant about gluten and he was asking me if I would be willing to be the one who does the presentation. AARRHHH, the thought of getting in front of a group of people scares the hell out of me but yet at the same time I feel kind of excited.

So my question would be is where would I find some pamphlets and or simple literature that would explain this simply.

My friend has said that if this goes over fairly well, he will sponsor these meetings at least once a month and he will also start cooking some dishes that are gluten free. Yes, i've explained about the cross contamination issues and such. He is starting to read up on this.

Any ideas?

the best place to find all this is at healthfood stores, and right here on the internet. I have found the best info on line. Check out local area celiac association website too.

TPG - As a start, here's a short slide show on WebMD that anyone with some moderate computer skills could convert into a Powerpoint presentation by capturing the images. If you have access to a laptop & multimedia projector you could put on a slide show in the restaurant, starting with the text which accompanies each slide on the site & perhaps expanding it a bit: SLIDE SHOW

On this page, you can download a 12 page pamphlet on Celiac in PDF form which you could print & hand out: PAMPHLET

I'm sure a bit more Googling would produce some other materials as well :)

On the "performance anxiety", I can tell you I used to do a lot of presentations in my last job. At the time, I was also suffering from migraine headaches, for which I would occasionally take the beta blocker propranolol. It's a very safe drug mostly used for high blood pressure. Although I didn't really find doing the presentations all that stressful, anytime you get up in front of a large group of people (sometimes a few hundred in my case) there will be at least a little anxiety. Quite by accident, I found out on the days I took the propranolol, I had ZERO anxiety. This makes sense, since the drug basically blocks the effects of adrenaline, but when I did a little research, I found that it is frequently used by classical musicians and similar performers to eliminate stage fright. It's not sedating in any way, it just eliminates the anxiousness. If you have access to the drug, 40mg or so should do the trick :)

WOW! Thanks for the help!

I find this really exciting! The first presentation might be hard but you'll get more comfortable if you keep doing them.

Good luck!!

Was that directed to me?

My father always said "Never assume"... :rolleyes:

If it was, you're welcome & let us know how it goes.

David