3 3
Jeffiner

Did Anyone Lose Weight After Going Gluten Free?

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, C. Capone said:

Hi all, I have been diagnosed with celiac for about five months now. My wife and I have both gone gluten free, thank goodness for her, she is a nurse. I an 54 years old and have been moderately overweight for the last twenty years or so, finding out I was celiac was a surprise because I had no symptoms, a routine endoscopy made my doctor suspicious, after ordering a blood test it was confirmed. I noticed almost immediately after going gluten free I started losing inches, my clothes became looser....then I started losing weight. Since being diagnosed I lost around thirty pounds and have dropped about four inches in my waistline, I really did not expect this to happen. My wife is not celiac but very health conscious, she lost a little weight but did lose inches as well. Apparently gluten does not agree with me at all and was stuffing me, frankly I am surprised at the overall loss. I am very pleased at the large selections offered at restaurants of foods that are gluten free. I still miss my breads and pastas ( I am Italian ) but the substitutes are not too bad, there is still work to be done on the breads, they are not the best. My wife bakes breads when she can with different flours, etc. Sorry for rattling on, great forum. I just joined! 

Glad you are doing well!  Welcome to the forum.  

I was diagnosed 2 years ago with Celiac disease. Before I was diagnosed I was 305 lbs I ate so much. Then I got sick I knew something was wrong. Then I did and was diagnosed with Celiac. I have lost so much weight I'm at 100 lbs now. I'm so scared to eat I look at everything but I still break out in hives and get stomach issues. I'm getting concerned about my body and weight..

1 hour ago, Bella44 said:

I was diagnosed 2 years ago with Celiac disease. Before I was diagnosed I was 305 lbs I ate so much. Then I got sick I knew something was wrong. Then I did and was diagnosed with Celiac. I have lost so much weight I'm at 100 lbs now. I'm so scared to eat I look at everything but I still break out in hives and get stomach issues. I'm getting concerned about my body and weight..

What does your doctor say?  When did you last get follow-up celiac disease testing?  Maybe your celiac disease is still active.  If you have not been retested, ask your doctor.  

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/how-often-should-follow-up-testing-occur/

Got checked 6 months ago again. I do have Celiac just losing to much weight.

Scared to eat anything

12 hours ago, Bella44 said:

Got checked 6 months ago again. I do have Celiac just losing to much weight.

Scared to eat anything

Please get to your doctor for help.  A referral to a dietitian may be very helpful to you.  

Thank you. I work so much if I have time to go. I'm so sick all the time and shaky. Getting up to go to work my body hurts and trying to work is so hard.