This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Can I Use In Place Of Beano?

tabdegner

tabdegner Apprentice

I am trying to eat more whole, unprocessed foods and am having a horrible time with raw veggies -- very very painful trapped gas that lasts for hours or days. I'm aware that Beano has gluten, Gas-X does absolutely nothing for me and I'm running out of ideas for how to relieve the discomfort. Anyone here have any tips? I have an appointment for a checkup on Monday and am going to ask the dr. for a prescription. Any help?

I should add that I have no problem with beans, lentils, lettuce, or other foods -- just raw veggies.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LoraW76 Rookie

I am trying to eat more whole, unprocessed foods and am having a horrible time with raw veggies -- very very painful trapped gas that lasts for hours or days. I'm aware that Beano has gluten, Gas-X does absolutely nothing for me and I'm running out of ideas for how to relieve the discomfort. Anyone here have any tips? I have an appointment for a checkup on Monday and am going to ask the dr. for a prescription. Any help?

I should add that I have no problem with beans, lentils, lettuce, or other foods -- just raw veggies.

Charcoal Caps are sold OTC at Walgreens and they help eliminate gas.

tarnalberry Community Regular

You could just cook your veggies. Some people find it helpful to avoid raw and just cook.

You could try a general digestive enzyme (look in a health food store). You can get papain (papaya enzyme) or a product with a mix of digestive enzymes. (No particular brand name - many companies make this sort of thing.)

Erica1451 Newbie

Try Open Original Shared Link. It has the same active ingredient as Beano (alpha-galactosidase), but it's gluten free.

jackay Enthusiast

Try Open Original Shared Link. It has the same active ingredient as Beano (alpha-galactosidase), but it's gluten free.

Bean Zyme does contain cornstarch so if you react to corn, this could be a problem.

lovegrov Collaborator

I would consider Beano gluten-free. From their FAQ page.

"The smallest amount of gluten that can be chemically detected in a product is 0.00016 percent. Results of our testing have shown that Beano contains less than 0.00016 percent gluten."

IOW, their testing could not detect gluten in Beano.

tabdegner Apprentice

I would consider Beano gluten-free. From their FAQ page.

"The smallest amount of gluten that can be chemically detected in a product is 0.00016 percent. Results of our testing have shown that Beano contains less than 0.00016 percent gluten."

IOW, their testing could not detect gluten in Beano.

Wow, I didn't know that. I have looked at the label that says contains wheat, but could not find any questionable ingredients on the label. I really appreciate the replies. Gives me some options I haven't thought of!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 year later...
unsinkable777 Newbie

I have been using Beano for about a week, unaware of the gluten-free/or-not controversy. It has been helping me with veggies. Now I read that Bean-zyme is gluten free, and would be better to use. However, since I also suffer from IBS, the sorbitol and mannitol in Bean-zyme would cause IBS symptoms (they are triggers). Sometimes I feel like I can't win for trying!! LOL!!

Why on earth would Bean-zyme need sweeteners in it?? I mean....What???

Does anyone know of a Gluten-free/IBS friendly type of digestive enzyme?

I wasn't diagnosed with Celiac until my late 50's, which is apparantly a sure fire recipe for IBS. I also have hypoglycemia (diagnosed 30 yrs ago through a 5 hour glucose tolerance test), and I can't help but wonder if they are all interconnected. I also have very bad acid reflux. Anyone else have the same cluster of digestive problems??

kareng Grand Master

I have been using Beano for about a week, unaware of the gluten-free/or-not controversy. It has been helping me with veggies. Now I read that Bean-zyme is gluten free, and would be better to use. However, since I also suffer from IBS, the sorbitol and mannitol in Bean-zyme would cause IBS symptoms (they are triggers). Sometimes I feel like I can't win for trying!! LOL!!

Why on earth would Bean-zyme need sweeteners in it?? I mean....What???

Does anyone know of a Gluten-free/IBS friendly type of digestive enzyme?

I wasn't diagnosed with Celiac until my late 50's, which is apparantly a sure fire recipe for IBS. I also have hypoglycemia (diagnosed 30 yrs ago through a 5 hour glucose tolerance test), and I can't help but wonder if they are all interconnected. I also have very bad acid reflux. Anyone else have the same cluster of digestive problems??

Sounds like its gluten-free. They can't test any lower than that. Many tested & labelled gluten-free things are tested but they can't test for none. You could do this same test on a green bean from your garden & it would test as less than .00016

milkmommy Apprentice

Hi, I have no advice but want to let you know I'm in a similar situation..... I'm 32 and just diagnosed with celiac. I also have ibs, hypoglycemia.....along with other things. I really wonder if they are all related too!! They must be. I also really question the ibs diagnoses. The drs are missing something.

unsinkable777 Newbie

Hi Milkmommy,

Interesting to hear that you share this same cluster of problems. I was skeptical of the IBS diagnosis many years ago, but now I have pretty much a text book case of it. There is a great website for IBS:

www.helpforibs.com

I can't handle dairy products either, which is pretty common for Celiac/IBS. All my fruits and veggies (the easily digested ones ONLY) have to be cooked and pureed, so my diet gets more and more boring! I have totally given up red wine, coffee and pop, decaf tea and water are pretty much all I can drink. I only eat skinless white chicken and fish, so.........................it's getting pretty dull! LOL!!

Chack out that website. It is very helpful. I order the Tummy Fibre from them, and it is good stuff.

All the best!

karen

unsinkable777 Newbie

To Lovegrov and Kareng,

Thanks for the info on Beano. Sounds like it SHOULD be okay. I hope it is, and will try it again.

All the best,

karen

kareng Grand Master

To Lovegrov and Kareng,

Thanks for the info on Beano. Sounds like it SHOULD be okay. I hope it is, and will try it again.

All the best,

karen

That post was over a year ago, so it's good to check for current info as products change. I just looked at the Beano site & it still had the same statement.

I looked at the post wrong & thought it was March of 2011.

sa1937 Community Regular

And to further confuse the issue, I remember this recent thread on Beano

unsinkable777 Newbie

And to further confuse the issue, I remember this recent thread on Beano

Oh boy, confusion is right! I will write to the Beano company and get a direct answer from their customer relations people. Sorry to have started such a fiasco

LOL!!!

kareng Grand Master

Oh boy, confusion is right! I will write to the Beano company and get a direct answer from their customer relations people. Sorry to have started such a fiasco

LOL!!!

Copy & paste it here so we can all see, you Trouble Maker! :D

domesticactivist Collaborator

Don't eat the things that give you the gas :P The diet that our family is doing (GAPS) does not start off with raw veggies. Instead it has you cook all your veggies in stock at first, then introduce fresh pressed vegetable juices, and then eventually eat raw veggies. Maybe you should try cooking them.

Oh, and we've always used charcoal. (Used to use burnt toast, but gave that up with the gluten!)

unsinkable777 Newbie

Copy & paste it here so we can all see, you Trouble Maker! :D

Okay, here is the answer, direct from their website. It sounds safe to me. Think I will continue to use it occasionally :)

Does Beano contain gluten?

The smallest amount of gluten that can be chemically detected in a product is 0.00016 percent. Results of our testing have shown that Beano contains less than 0.00016 percent gluten. Although the amount of gluten in Beano is less than the limit of detection, we would recommend that individuals who have concerns about the use of Beano speak with their physician.

Archived