dube

Cant Believe How Many Products Are Gluten Free!

Rate this topic

Went threw all my cabinets and figured out what has gluten and what doesn't. I couldn't believe how many things are gluten free!! Called alot of company's today and got info on all the things I wasn't sure of. This is'nt going to be so bad. Most of my canned stuff is gluten free, all my spices, dairy, meat.....only my bread crumbs isn't and my bread...not bad. Now I just have to find a darn store that sells non gluten bread..checked three so far and havent found one.

Had a terrific taco salad tonight with salsa and sour cream...yum...and of course a big glass of coke!

Went threw all my cabinets and figured out what has gluten and what doesn't. I couldn't believe how many things are gluten free!! Called alot of company's today and got info on all the things I wasn't sure of. This is'nt going to be so bad. Most of my canned stuff is gluten free, all my spices, dairy, meat.....only my bread crumbs isn't and my bread...not bad. Now I just have to find a darn store that sells non gluten bread..checked three so far and havent found one.

Had a terrific taco salad tonight with salsa and sour cream...yum...and of course a big glass of coke!

Yea... a lot of food is naturally gluten free! Your comments are great for those just starting and feel so overwhelmed and scared! There's tons of food we can eat!! We just have to learn to cook a little differently, that's all.

btw... be sure to check your sour cream. I was happily eating it and never THOUGHT to look at the label. Since then, I'm eating more foods w/ less ingredients... i.e... more natural diary things.

That's great! You can pat yourself on the back for all that detective work. That's quite an accomplishment. We feel so limited sometimes but really there is a world of options out there that we CAN have.

Be aware that things like jars of mayo may be cross-contaminated if you used them for things like sandwiches before and stuck then knife in after spreading the bread, margarine etc. You may need new tubs and/or switch to squeeze bottles. I was an avid baker and dipped my measuring spoons into more than one ingredient and used them to stir things with flour so my baking spices(nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger etc.) and baking powder and other baking ingredients were potentially cross-contaminated so I replaced them with new stock.

Picked up some rice flour and threw out the wheat flour. Bread, like I said is a pain, but I'm sure I will find it local eventually. I guess pasta will be my downfall, since the gluten-free is so expensive, I'll just treat myself every once in a while.

As for the sour cream...I purchased daisy, and called the company. I also know breakstone is okay. I have some more questionable things in my cabinet, so I'll continue to call until I have everything marked. I'm using a big marker and identifying everything. Eventually, I'll get it from memory!

Now I have to start investigation placed to go out and eat!!!

Picked up some rice flour and threw out the wheat flour. Bread, like I said is a pain, but I'm sure I will find it local eventually. I guess pasta will be my downfall, since the gluten-free is so expensive, I'll just treat myself every once in a while.

As for the sour cream...I purchased daisy, and called the company. I also know breakstone is okay. I have some more questionable things in my cabinet, so I'll continue to call until I have everything marked. I'm using a big marker and identifying everything. Eventually, I'll get it from memory!

Now I have to start investigation placed to go out and eat!!!

Sounds like you're very organized. I print out gluten-free menus from the websites and slip the pages into folios with clear pocket pages. That way the pages are protected and my menu book is ready to grab and take. If you can find a Trader Joes near you, they sell brown rice pasta that is a good buy. Lasagne can be made with slices of zucchini or eggplant in place of the noodles-better if the slices are seasoned, oiled and grilled or broiled or raosted beforehand.