This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ttga Blood Test Result

stmichael

stmichael Newbie

Hi Everyone - I hope that someone could offer some advice on my tTGA blood test result.

I've just returned from seeing my consultant (in the UK) and have been advised that he suspects that I may have Celiac Disease which has come of something of a shock!

To give some brief background info I am a 41 year old male and have lived with Crohns disease now for the past 17 years and have had problems with it on and off over that period - including two small bowel resection operations and I have had issues with anaemia - once my haemoglobin level dropped to around 5.5 and resulted in me needing to have an emergency blood transfusion. The anaemia has been up and down over the last few years and my latest test has it at 11.2 so it's better but there's still some way to go! I was also diagnosed as being lactose intolerant 3 years ago. Symptoms wise my Crohns has not been too bad over recent years however I'm having the ongoing battle with anaemia and I have terrible problems with excess gas and flatulence which can sometimes be really hard to manage.

Anyway as mentioned above my consultant today advised me that he suspected that I may have Celiac disease (primarily because of the anaemia) so during my last blood test (2 weeks ago) he asked for the level of tissue transglutaminase antibody (tTGA) to be tested. Unfortunately he did not go into a great deal of detail - something Doctors in the UK do not always do I guess! - but he told me that my tTGA level was 103 against the 'normal' level of 15 or under. He has also referred me to have a endoscopy to have a duodenal biopsy sample taken which I guess will prove if I have Celiac disease or not?

I can't help but thinking however that a tTGA level of 103 seems pretty high? Is this the case and does this point to having Celiac disease or am I worrying unduly and need to wait for the biopsy result to know for certain?

Anyway sorry for asking so many questions!! Any help or advice that anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

Welcome to the board.

The magnitude of your result is such that some doctors would diagnose celiac disease based on it alone. Others want to do the biopsy to confirm damage to the intestines before making a diagnosis. As I see it, you have celiac disease.

If you are going ahead with the biopsy, you need to continue eating gluten until after the biopsy.

Whether this is something to worry about is up to you. My own diagnosis was, for me, a relief. After years of being very sick, I finally had the answer and could be well again.

buffettbride Enthusiast

Welcome to the board.

The magnitude of your result is such that some doctors would diagnose celiac disease based on it alone. Others want to do the biopsy to confirm damage to the intestines before making a diagnosis. As I see it, you have celiac disease.

If you are going ahead with the biopsy, you need to continue eating gluten until after the biopsy.

Whether this is something to worry about is up to you. My own diagnosis was, for me, a relief. After years of being very sick, I finally had the answer and could be well again.

I second that response..my daughters ttg was at 98 just prior to diagnosis. They actually did the blood test after biopsy to confirm, but said had they done the blood test first, it was an almost certain diagnosis even without the endoscopy.

nutralady2001 Newbie

I also had antibodies tested after the biopsy. All the antibodies were positive and my tTG was 300 (0-35)

Archived