momwith?s

Celiac Disease And Ulcerative Colitis

Rate this topic

My 16 yo daughter was just diagnosed with Celiac disease (endoscopy) and ulcerative colitis (flex sigmoidoscopy). I'm wondering if these are 2 separate diseases or if the Celiac is causing the UC. The GI doctor wrote a prescription for Asacol and told her to take 2 pills, 3 times a day and that she would probably have to do this for 5 years to prevent recurrence. Is it possible that a gluten-free diet could heal the colitis and she could avoid taking all this medicine? I've noticed a lot of people have said they were "misdiagnosed" with IBS for many years before getting a Celiac diagnosis. Thanks for any help.

It's really something to work on with your doctor, but I'd talk to him/her about possibly trying the gluten-free diet first, before trying the medication. I would DEFINITELY consider that approach if I were in your shoes, but the mom in me would want to know if not treating the UC w/ meds while you try the gluten-free diet would have any down-sides.

Ulcerative Colitis is nasty stuff. I'm so sorry to hear your daughter has to go through that. I know that IBD/UC was something the doctor thought my daughter had, but it came back Celiac-only. Honestly, I was relieved because my BFF has IBD/UC and it can be tough to manage. Although, she finds relief on a gluten-free and nightshade-free diet (no gluten in addition to no potatoes, tomatoes, and a lot of raw vegetables).

Best wishes to you and your daughter.

My mother has ulcerative colitis and also is prescribed Asacol daily. She has a very severe case and even treated she had to have major intestinal surgery. She maintains a really strict diet and is very good about taking her pills, yet she has had SO much trouble over the years. I am only saying this to you (I know it sounds disheartening) because I was just diagnosed with Celiac in January -- first in my family. Her GI doc told her she needed to be tested immediately because he thinks that Celiac could be the underlying issue behind her trouble managing the UC. So there is recognition on his behalf that the two diseases at the very least can be related, and the UC may not be managed well without strict adherence to the gluten-free diet if Celiac is present.

Sending well wishes your way. I hope your daughter starts feeling well soon.