This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Newly Diagnosed

missy234

missy234 Newbie

I just tested positive for celiacs disease and I am lost! I am really uncertain as to what to look for when reading ingredients. So far I have been eating vegetables, plain meat and fruit!!!!!! When I was grocery shopping and reading ingredient labels I didnt know what ingredients contain some gluten in it. What are the hidden ingredients that contain gluten that I should watch out for?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

michelley65 Rookie

I just tested positive for celiacs disease and I am lost! I am really uncertain as to what to look for when reading ingredients. So far I have been eating vegetables, plain meat and fruit!!!!!! When I was grocery shopping and reading ingredient labels I didnt know what ingredients contain some gluten in it. What are the hidden ingredients that contain gluten that I should watch out for?

I also have started this diet..its definately a learning process!A good book to get is "The gluten-free diet"by Elizabeth Hasselback..its helping me alot.She gives you alot of information.A good rule to go by..the closest a food is to its purest form,the more likely it is to be gluten-free.

mamaw Community Regular

Hello & welcome

You are on the right path----- plain naked foods , plain meats no sauces, coatings ,marinades-- add your own McCormick spices! They clearly label. fresh fruits & veggies.

Stay away from wheat ,rye, barley & oats ....anything that contains malt .Soy sauce is another to watch out for. Lachoy is gluten-free .....

products like cereal, pasta,bread snacks , desserts , snacks, beer need to be checked. Truly everything needs to be checked.

general mills has a few gluten-free cereals .. nature path,ewehron are a couple of ones who do gluten-free......

many companies clearly label so become a label reader. And never take for granted a product will stay gluten-free forever. Companies change their ingredient list often esp. when they can get an ingredient cheaper.

Look for products that state gluten-free not wheat free. Just because its states wheat free does not make it gluten-free.

It will take time to adjust but the end result will be a happy, healthy lifestyle.

If you can find a support group , they will help you . Plus this site alone has a wealth of info so spend some time reading the posts.

Feel free to ask questions .

Here's a very very short list to get you started ; gluten-free Foods:

Progresso clearly labels

Kraft clearly labels

dinty moore beef stew-- no chicken stew

hormel clearly lables

Swanson chicken broth

Rachel Ray broth

Delimex taquitos

Farm Fresh Meatballs (check Label)

Boar's Head deli meats

Dietz & Watson deli meats

heinz vinegar except malt vinegar

French's mustard

Miracle whip

Hellman's

Breyer's ice cream (No cookies or crunchie kinds)

Hersey kisses

reese's peanut butter cups

contadina tomato products

ore ida products( read label)

McCain fries( read label)

Alexia fries( read lable)

Bell & Evans black label chicken nuggets,patties, strips.

Starfish - yummy

Philly cream cheese

philly swirls

popscicles

Klondikes ( No cookie or crunchies)

Lays' clearly lables

doritos clearly lables

yoplait

dannon is not gluten-free only the plain is gluten-free.

oretega taco shells( Hard)

There is a ton more but this should get you started.

Look for a natural health food store near you....

Wonderful gluten-free products:

joans gluten-free great bakes: bagels, english muffins', pizza & more

conte's: pierogi, gnocchi, ravioli & more

Pamela's baking mix

udi's bread

celiac specialites: the best donuts ever

kinnickinnick K-Toos are yummy.

Trader Joe's has very good waffles, scottie licorce dogs, Veggie flax chips , & more

Whole foods has their own gluten-free bakery items. Their bread makes good grilled cheese, & stuffing .

Glutino -- pretzels -- the best-- much more

many of us order online because we have no local shopping...

any questions just ask.

blessings

mamaw

missy'smom Collaborator

Good for you for sticking with fresh ingredients that you know are gluten-free and not taking chances with things you are not sure of. Keep up the good work. There are many products that we can enjoy though. By law, wheat is required to be listed on the label. Barley is not so we have to learn what ingredients can be made from it. Here is a list of safe/unsafe ingredients. https://www.celiac.com/celiac-disease/safe-gluten-free-food-list-safe-ingredients-r181/

Also, some companies voluntarily list all gluten on the label. Kraft is one of them so if you pick up a Kraft product and nowhere on the label do you see the words "barley" or "wheat" then you know it is safe. Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

All mainstream oats have been well proven to be cross-contaminated so we must buy certified gluten-free oats-specially grown and processed. Any oats on the label of a product are mainstream and considered to be CC'd and not safe-the certified gluten-free ones are too expensive to be used in most products except a few specialty gluten-free ones. Some natural supplements contain oats(clearly listed on the label) and are falsely labled gluten-free.

Don't hesitate to call the 800 numbers on the packages or check company websites. Not all, but many companies these days are prepared to answer the question, "Does this product contain gluten?" On the websites, look under "Nutritional Information" "Contact Us" or "FAQ's".

missy234 Newbie

Thank you everyone for all your help!

When I am looking at food labels and something contains artificial color or flavor, should I be avoiding it? I was reading on a website that these MAY contain gluten.

Archived