• Join our community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   04/07/2018

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease?  Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
kellyisfresh

Any Celiac Teens Out There?

Rate this topic

I'm 19, been diagnosed for a year now :) Anybody in BC, Canada? I'd really like to meet some Celiacs, I feel so alone..

Hi i'm shelby. I'm 17 and was diagnosed two weeks ago. It's been a hard adjustment and I'm still not feeling that well. Was it like this for you?

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

I'm 19 and I live in the Seattle, WA area.. I've been very strict on my gluten free and dairy free diet since I was 14 when I was diagnosed celiac, but I was diagnosed with a wheat allergy when I was 8... I always want to go to the Seattle Meet up for celiacs but I'm kinda afraid it's gonna be all "adults" lol

anybody have problems with boyfriends/girlfriends that don't understand, or think celiac is funny..?

talk to meee (:

Emma

Hey, I'm 19 and from MA

Oh and RideAllWays, BC, Canada is where it's at...best city in Canada

BC is a province with lots of cities.. :D But yes, it's lovely!

Names Brandon, im 18 from New Jersey. I was diagnosed 17 years ago. been on Celiac diet my whole life. Its not bad at all to be honest. im actually the healthiest person in my family lol

so you've had it since you were 1?

i love new jerseyy, do you go to bamboozle?

Hi!

I'm 20, female, live in Kansas.....

I was diagnosed September of last year, there is only one other person in my family with celiac disease, and we aren't close. (2nd cousin...)

I guess that's about it....

Names Brandon, im 18 from New Jersey. I was diagnosed 17 years ago. been on Celiac diet my whole life. Its not bad at all to be honest. im actually the healthiest person in my family lol

Thats what I tell everyone. I known for 7 years, and since then a ton of my family has found out they have to eat gluten free. My mom now has THE best gluten-free baking business in BC, Canada, so I have it pretty good. But it is getting easier, people are really starting to understand...at least the people that I have met.

Hi

I am the mom of a 17 year old who diagnosed herself about a month ago after talking to a teacher at her school who had the same problems. My daughter is a competive irish dancer (about 8- 10 hrs practice a week) and has had exercise induced asthma about 10 years and stomach problems all her life. She was told two years ago she definitely had irritable bowel syndrome and to change her diet. Add more fibre they said. She felt somewhat better but couldn't get her exercise induced asthma under control changing from one puffer to another. A top child respirologist had no solution. She would dance in a competition coming off stage doubled over, gasping for air and wanting to throw up. FIVE DAYS without gluten she went in a competition came off stage short of breath because she had worked hard but besides that she was fine. Unbelievable!! She has increased her stamina and doesn't require her puffer nearly as much!

hi iam a dad with a 15 yr old daughter she was diagnosed this past july.what a life changing experiance.she was good for awhile and now is having issues again i think she just got cross contaminated.it took 3 yrs and alot of er visits.we were both at our wits ends.no help from anyone u feel so alone very depressing docs were cluless.there r no support groups for teens in our area so its hard on my baby.support group here is old peeps.she also has asthema, weight gain,stomach pain eye sight lose it goes on and on so i will tell her i found this to see if she can find teens to chat with hope to hear from any and all that can help a dad and his daughter ty

hi iam a dad with a 15 yr old daughter she was diagnosed this past july.what a life changing experiance.she was good for awhile and now is having issues again i think she just got cross contaminated.it took 3 yrs and alot of er visits.we were both at our wits ends.no help from anyone u feel so alone very depressing docs were cluless.there r no support groups for teens in our area so its hard on my baby.support group here is old peeps.she also has asthema, weight gain,stomach pain eye sight lose it goes on and on so i will tell her i found this to see if she can find teens to chat with hope to hear from any and all that can help a dad and his daughter ty

Hi, I am 17 yrs. old and live in B.C., Canada. If your daughter wants to email me, I would love to talk to her.

I know how it feels, like most of the teens on this site, to be a young Celiac. It really sucks at first, but for me, it got easier. I have been on the diet for 7 years and I still get cross-contamination, I have also found out about a lot more foods that I am sensitive to. Celiac disease is and auto-immune disease, so your body attacks itself, and the first place to get hit, for most people, is the gut. When you eat gluten-free, your gut gets the chance to heal, and sometimes, people like me, discover other foods that they cannot eat. So, the fact that your daughter is still getting sick could be that she is getting some gluten in her diet somewhere, or her gut is in the healing process and is reacting to more foods that her body doesn't like. One way to find out, is to keep a food diary. It is annoying and hard, but it really does help. Get her to write down everything she eats during the day, and how she feels after.

Let her know that she is not alone, and that there are hundreds and hundreds of other teens dealing with the exact same situation as she is.

Good Luck

hey my name is mikaela and i am almost sixteen too!! i started getting sick when i was eight then after three years of tests i found out i have celiac. i never really liked baked goods so it wasen't very hard to go off gluten. i am getting fed up with having to read all the lables on the packages though. but my friends have been really good and always have something gluten free in the cupboard for me. do you know of a good bread company cuz i am having a hard time finding good gluten-free bread??

when did you find out you had celiac??

Hey, I'm 18 and have been diagnosed with gluten intolerance for about 3 years. Once I was diagnosed I tried my best to avoid it but I started eating wheat again 2 summers ago because I was getting sick of my family not making gluten-free meals since i'm the only one in the family intolerant. When I started to eat wheat again i thought things were going well..just kept getting dizzy because my hypoglycemia. Until I noticed I was getting horrible acne in my facial cheek area only. I thought it was just because I was stressed out from college. Then I noticed it started getting really worse when I ate certain foods. I didn't really notice the correlation between my allergies and my body until recently. For the past few months, I have been to the ER numerous times because feelings of lightheadness/passing out, abdominal pain, and other reasons. Finally, I took the initiative to go on a strict diet (avoiding wheat, dairy, eggs, sugar) for about 2 1/2 weeks now and i feel SO MUCH BETTER and my skin is gradually clearing up. It's amazing what food can do to your body. I feel much more energetic, focused, and happier. I think avoiding wheat/gluten is the best thing to do for anyone in my opinion because of all the additives they put in foods these days such as gliadin.

I'm 19 and I live in the Seattle, WA area.. I've been very strict on my gluten free and dairy free diet since I was 14 when I was diagnosed celiac, but I was diagnosed with a wheat allergy when I was 8... I always want to go to the Seattle Meet up for celiacs but I'm kinda afraid it's gonna be all "adults" lol

anybody have problems with boyfriends/girlfriends that don't understand, or think celiac is funny..?

talk to meee (:

Emma

Hey, my name is Jessica, I'm 18. I also live in the Seattle area. I was diagnosed with 25 food allergies in middle school (wheat, dairy, cheese, eggs, sugar cane...). In middle school, I felt lightheaded on a daily basis. I also was diagnosed with hypoglyceamia. In middle school I avoided all the food allergies. Though, almost 2 years ago(junior year highschool) I had a hard time avoiding it. I thought it was fine eating wheat again but i noticed It has gradually built up to acne/rash residing only in my facial cheek areas, passing out, and severe abdominal pain. I went to the ER numerous times these past three months because of severe reactions of passing out, and abdominal pain. Recently, I have been on a strict gluten free/dairy free diet for the past 2 1/2 weeks and I definately feel better so far. My boyfriend is somewhat understanding of what i'm going through. He said that he honestly hates how i have all these food allergies because it makes it hard for us to go out to eat somewhere.

I'm 14 -I was diagnosed almost 2 years ago...

I am 15 and was diagnosed just a few months ago...you say you are a Jesus freak! Well, let me tell you, I love Jesus too and I don't think I'd be able to get through this without Him!!!!

• Upvote 1

Hey my names kimberlie . I've been a celiac for almost a year now . I live in cali . Contact me :) I need some celiac friends. I know of only one other celiac Wich is my best friends Grammy .

Hey!! I have Celiac n ive had it 4. . .6 years now i think. . .i was little when i got it so i dont remember so much about it, but lately it's been challenging and i kept being like "SERIOUSLY?!" when my bros got a cookie or treat and i couldnt hav it, but lately its been a lot better. :) i realize that ive had it to long now to hav a reason to be whine. . . ;P

hey my name is mikaela and i am almost sixteen too!! i started getting sick when i was eight then after three years of tests i found out i have celiac. i never really liked baked goods so it wasen't very hard to go off gluten. i am getting fed up with having to read all the lables on the packages though. but my friends have been really good and always have something gluten free in the cupboard for me. do you know of a good bread company cuz i am having a hard time finding good gluten-free bread??

hey i am the oppistie-i LOVE baked goods!! i have found a lot of good types of muffins, bagels, and bread from a brand named Udi's. I really like it and reccomend u try it!! Hope that helped :D

Hi, my name is Danielle and I live in Brazil. I was officially diagnosed last week but have been gluten free for about 3 months now. I'm kind of new to all of this and would really appreciate some help. I have accidentally screwed up and eaten gluten a couple of times already and just feel very discouraged at times. Feel free to contact me! I could really use someone to talk to.

Hi, my name's Julia and I'm almost 15. I was diagnosed right after I turned 3, so I've been on the gluten free diet pretty much all my life. Before diagnosis, I weighed 19 pounds. I was skin and bone with a distended stomach. I was diagnosed at children's hospital in Boston, MA. My mom had to order everything online and even there wasn't much. She made my bread, which everyone here knows doesn't last very long unless frozen and then toasted. As I grew up things got slightly easier. My aunt was diagnosed at age 43 and that was when we knew it was my moms side with the gene. I didn't know anyone my age with celiac. I met one girl at a camp for two weeks but never saw her again. By middle school celiac was much more common. And now, as a freshman in a private high school, I have two friends with gluten intolerance (one has the parents who created and own 'cherrybrook farms' mixes and some cookies), another friend who has celiac and even a teacher with celiac. And this is all at the same school!!!

Now everyone makes mistakes, especially a celiac. My reaction to gluten is much more violent than it used to be as a child. I've taken a bite of a cookie, realized it was wheat, spit it all out, and I've still gotten sick. My most recent slip-up was my mom's mistake. She made french toast and instead of using the canyon cinnamon raisin bread in a clear and purple package, she used the Vermont company bread in a clear and purple package. I had 5 slices, my biggest amount of exposure to gluten since my age three diagnosis. It takes my body about two hours to realize the wheat needs to get out and then throwing up for 2-4 hours. I could never purposely cheat on the diet because of my reaction

Hi, I'm Kelly. I've been a celiac for about eight years now. I've never had a friend with it, so I was hoping to meet some teens on here that also have Celiac's. (:

My name is Kelly also. Kelly Nolan. I'm from Down Under! I've been coeliac for 13 years and have yet to meet anyone else my age who is 'truly' gluten free. What I mean is: not just a 'fad' dieter (I've met some of these from time to time) but never anyone else on a "TRUE" gluten free diet! :(

I feel so alone, too!

Hey I'm alex, and I'm from ontario, canada. I'm 20 years old and was diagnosed a few months ago just before my 20th birthday. Its been so hard and I keep accidently eating gluten! Its even more difficult in university when everyone eats out all the time. I too don't know anyone with celiac so nobody I know really understands it. If anyone else is in college too or has any advice that'd be awesome!

Hey, I'm Sarah. I'm 17 and I'm from Seattle, WA.

I was diagnosed 3 times. Once in 8th grade, once in 10th grade, and about a month ago. When I was younger, a lot of stuff happened and doctors went on and off if I was really allergic or not. One doctor had a heart attack because the test results were so high, a different doctor read the same report and told me I was fine. To say it's been confusing is an understatement....but anyway, now I have been off of gluten for a month and I feel a lot better. I get REALLY bad shoulder pain, my stomach becomes upset, my asthma gets worse, my skin breaks out in rashes.

Anyway, it's nice to know I"m not alone. :)

i have been recently diagnosed with celiac disease about two weeks ago. its kinda hard to switch at first, but i guess ill get use to it. ive also noticed that im a lot more sensitive when i accidently eat gluten, even though its only been two weeks.

Hi, I'm 12 almost 13 and I started having problems when I was 5 and like you went to ER, Even the famous Cook Children

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Who's Online   4 Members, 0 Anonymous, 949 Guests (See full list)

• Top Posters +

• Recent Articles

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 04/18/2018 - To the relief of many bewildered passengers and crew, no more comfort turkeys, geese, possums or other questionable pets will be flying on Delta or United without meeting the airlines' strict new requirements for service animals.
    If you’ve flown anywhere lately, you may have seen them. People flying with their designated “emotional support” animals. We’re not talking genuine service animals, like seeing eye dogs, or hearing ear dogs, or even the Belgian Malinois that alerts its owner when there is gluten in food that may trigger her celiac disease.
    Now, to be honest, some of those animals in question do perform a genuine service for those who need emotional support dogs, like veterans with PTSD.
    However, many of these animals are not service animals at all. Many of these animals perform no actual service to their owners, and are nothing more than thinly disguised pets. Many lack proper training, and some have caused serious problems for the airlines and for other passengers.
    Now the major airlines are taking note and introducing stringent requirements for service animals.
    Delta was the first to strike. As reported by the New York Times on January 19: “Effective March 1, Delta, the second largest US airline by passenger traffic, said it will require passengers seeking to fly with pets to present additional documents outlining the passenger’s need for the animal and proof of its training and vaccinations, 48 hours prior to the flight.… This comes in response to what the carrier said was a 150 percent increase in service and support animals — pets, often dogs, that accompany people with disabilities — carried onboard since 2015.… Delta said that it flies some 700 service animals a day. Among them, customers have attempted to fly with comfort turkeys, gliding possums, snakes, spiders, and other unusual pets.”
    Fresh from an unsavory incident with an “emotional support” peacock incident, United Airlines has followed Delta’s lead and set stricter rules for emotional support animals. United’s rules also took effect March 1, 2018.
    So, to the relief of many bewildered passengers and crew, no more comfort turkeys, geese, possums or other questionable pets will be flying on Delta or United without meeting the airlines' strict new requirements for service and emotional support animals.
    Source:
    cnbc.com

admin
    WHAT IS CELIAC DISEASE?
    Celiac disease is an autoimmune condition that affects around 1% of the population. People with celiac disease suffer an autoimmune reaction when they consume wheat, rye or barley. The immune reaction is triggered by certain proteins in the wheat, rye, or barley, and, left untreated, causes damage to the small, finger-like structures, called villi, that line the gut. The damage occurs as shortening and villous flattening in the lamina propria and crypt regions of the intestines. The damage to these villi then leads to numerous other issues that commonly plague people with untreated celiac disease, including poor nutritional uptake, fatigue, and myriad other problems.
    Celiac disease mostly affects people of Northern European descent, but recent studies show that it also affects large numbers of people in Italy, China, Iran, India, and numerous other places thought to have few or no cases.
    Celiac disease is most often uncovered because people experience symptoms that lead them to get tests for antibodies to gluten. If these tests are positive, then the people usually get biopsy confirmation of their celiac disease. Once they adopt a gluten-free diet, they usually see gut healing, and major improvements in their symptoms. 
    CLASSIC CELIAC DISEASE SYMPTOMS
    Symptoms of celiac disease can range from the classic features, such as diarrhea, upset stomach, bloating, gas, weight loss, and malnutrition, among others.
    LESS OBVIOUS SYMPTOMS
    Celiac disease can often less obvious symptoms, such fatigue, vitamin and nutrient deficiencies, anemia, to name a few. Often, these symptoms are regarded as less obvious because they are not gastrointestinal in nature. You got that right, it is not uncommon for people with celiac disease to have few or no gastrointestinal symptoms. That makes spotting and connecting these seemingly unrelated and unclear celiac symptoms so important.
    NO SYMPTOMS
    Currently, most people diagnosed with celiac disease do not show symptoms, but are diagnosed on the basis of referral for elevated risk factors. 

CELIAC DISEASE VS. GLUTEN INTOLERANCE
    Gluten intolerance is a generic term for people who have some sort of sensitivity to gluten. These people may or may not have celiac disease. Researchers generally agree that there is a condition called non-celiac gluten sensitivity. That term has largely replaced the term gluten-intolerance. What’s the difference between celiac disease and non-celiac gluten-sensitivity? 
    CELIAC DISEASE VS. NON-CELIAC GLUTEN SENSITIVITY (NCGS)
    Gluten triggers symptoms and immune reactions in people with celiac disease. Gluten can also trigger symptoms in some people with NCGS, but the similarities largely end there.

There are four main differences between celiac disease and non-celiac gluten sensitivity:
    No Hereditary Link in NCGS
    Researchers know for certain that genetic heredity plays a major role in celiac disease. If a first-degree relative has celiac disease, then you have a statistically higher risk of carrying genetic markers DQ2 and/or DQ8, and of developing celiac disease yourself. NCGS is not known to be hereditary. Some research has shown certain genetic associations, such as some NCGS patients, but there is no proof that NCGS is hereditary. No Connection with Celiac-related Disorders
    Unlike celiac disease, NCGS is so far not associated with malabsorption, nutritional deficiencies, or a higher risk of autoimmune disorders or intestinal malignancies. No Immunological or Serological Markers
    People with celiac disease nearly always test positive for antibodies to gluten proteins. Researchers have, as yet, identified no such antobodies or serologic markers for NCGS. That means that, unlike with celiac disease, there are no telltale screening tests that can point to NCGS. Absence of Celiac Disease or Wheat Allergy
    Doctors diagnose NCGS only by excluding both celiac disease, an IgE-mediated allergy to wheat, and by the noting ongoing adverse symptoms associated with gluten consumption. WHAT ABOUT IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME (IBS) AND IRRITABLE BOWEL DISEASE (IBD)?
    IBS and IBD are usually diagnosed in part by ruling out celiac disease. Many patients with irritable bowel syndrome are sensitive to gluten. Many experience celiac disease-like symptoms in reaction to wheat. However, patients with IBS generally show no gut damage, and do not test positive for antibodies to gliadin and other proteins as do people with celiac disease. Some IBS patients also suffer from NCGS.

To add more confusion, many cases of IBS are, in fact, celiac disease in disguise.

That said, people with IBS generally react to more than just wheat. People with NCGS generally react to wheat and not to other things, but that’s not always the case. Doctors generally try to rule out celiac disease before making a diagnosis of IBS or NCGS. 
    Crohn’s Disease and celiac disease share many common symptoms, though causes are different.  In Crohn’s disease, the immune system can cause disruption anywhere along the gastrointestinal tract, and a diagnosis of Crohn’s disease typically requires more diagnostic testing than does a celiac diagnosis.  
    Crohn’s treatment consists of changes to diet and possible surgery.  Up to 10% of Crohn's patients can have both of conditions, which suggests a genetic connection, and researchers continue to examine that connection.
    Is There a Connection Between Celiac Disease, Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity and Irritable Bowel Syndrome? Large Number of Irritable Bowel Syndrome Patients Sensitive To Gluten Some IBD Patients also Suffer from Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity Many Cases of IBS and Fibromyalgia Actually Celiac Disease in Disguise CELIAC DISEASE DIAGNOSIS
    Diagnosis of celiac disease can be difficult. 

Perhaps because celiac disease presents clinically in such a variety of ways, proper diagnosis often takes years. A positive serological test for antibodies against tissue transglutaminase is considered a very strong diagnostic indicator, and a duodenal biopsy revealing villous atrophy is still considered by many to be the diagnostic gold standard. 
    But this idea is being questioned; some think the biopsy is unnecessary in the face of clear serological tests and obvious symptoms. Also, researchers are developing accurate and reliable ways to test for celiac disease even when patients are already avoiding wheat. In the past, patients needed to be consuming wheat to get an accurate test result. 
    Celiac disease can have numerous vague, or confusing symptoms that can make diagnosis difficult.  Celiac disease is commonly misdiagnosed by doctors. Read a Personal Story About Celiac Disease Diagnosis from the Founder of Celiac.com Currently, testing and biopsy still form the cornerstone of celiac diagnosis.
    TESTING
    There are several serologic (blood) tests available that screen for celiac disease antibodies, but the most commonly used is called a tTG-IgA test. If blood test results suggest celiac disease, your physician will recommend a biopsy of your small intestine to confirm the diagnosis.
    Testing is fairly simple and involves screening the patients blood for antigliadin (AGA) and endomysium antibodies (EmA), and/or doing a biopsy on the areas of the intestines mentioned above, which is still the standard for a formal diagnosis. Also, it is now possible to test people for celiac disease without making them concume wheat products.

BIOPSY
    Until recently, biopsy confirmation of a positive gluten antibody test was the gold standard for celiac diagnosis. It still is, but things are changing fairly quickly. Children can now be accurately diagnosed for celiac disease without biopsy. Diagnosis based on level of TGA-IgA 10-fold or more the ULN, a positive result from the EMA tests in a second blood sample, and the presence of at least 1 symptom could avoid risks and costs of endoscopy for more than half the children with celiac disease worldwide.

WHY A GLUTEN-FREE DIET?
    Currently the only effective, medically approved treatment for celiac disease is a strict gluten-free diet. Following a gluten-free diet relieves symptoms, promotes gut healing, and prevents nearly all celiac-related complications. 
    A gluten-free diet means avoiding all products that contain wheat, rye and barley, or any of their derivatives. This is a difficult task as there are many hidden sources of gluten found in the ingredients of many processed foods. Still, with effort, most people with celiac disease manage to make the transition. The vast majority of celiac disease patients who follow a gluten-free diet see symptom relief and experience gut healing within two years.
    For these reasons, a gluten-free diet remains the only effective, medically proven treatment for celiac disease.
    WHAT ABOUT ENZYMES, VACCINES, ETC.?
    There is currently no enzyme or vaccine that can replace a gluten-free diet for people with celiac disease.
    There are enzyme supplements currently available, such as AN-PEP, Latiglutetenase, GluteGuard, and KumaMax, which may help to mitigate accidental gluten ingestion by celiacs. KumaMax, has been shown to survive the stomach, and to break down gluten in the small intestine. Latiglutenase, formerly known as ALV003, is an enzyme therapy designed to be taken with meals. GluteGuard has been shown to significantly protect celiac patients from the serious symptoms they would normally experience after gluten ingestion. There are other enzymes, including those based on papaya enzymes.

Additionally, there are many celiac disease drugs, enzymes, and therapies in various stages of development by pharmaceutical companies, including at least one vaccine that has received financial backing. At some point in the not too distant future there will likely be new treatments available for those who seek an alternative to a lifelong gluten-free diet. 

For now though, there are no products on the market that can take the place of a gluten-free diet. Any enzyme or other treatment for celiac disease is intended to be used in conjunction with a gluten-free diet, not as a replacement.

ASSOCIATED DISEASES
    The most common disorders associated with celiac disease are thyroid disease and Type 1 Diabetes, however, celiac disease is associated with many other conditions, including but not limited to the following autoimmune conditions:
    Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: 2.4-16.4% Multiple Sclerosis (MS): 11% Hashimoto’s thyroiditis: 4-6% Autoimmune hepatitis: 6-15% Addison disease: 6% Arthritis: 1.5-7.5% Sjögren’s syndrome: 2-15% Idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy: 5.7% IgA Nephropathy (Berger’s Disease): 3.6% Other celiac co-morditities include:
    Crohn’s Disease; Inflammatory Bowel Disease Chronic Pancreatitis Down Syndrome Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Lupus Multiple Sclerosis Primary Biliary Cirrhosis Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis Psoriasis Rheumatoid Arthritis Scleroderma Turner Syndrome Ulcerative Colitis; Inflammatory Bowel Disease Williams Syndrome Cancers:
    Non-Hodgkin lymphoma (intestinal and extra-intestinal, T- and B-cell types) Small intestinal adenocarcinoma Esophageal carcinoma Papillary thyroid cancer Melanoma CELIAC DISEASE REFERENCES:
    Celiac Disease Center, Columbia University
    Gluten Intolerance Group
    National Institutes of Health
    U.S. National Library of Medicine
    Mayo Clinic
    University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 04/17/2018 - Could the holy grail of gluten-free food lie in special strains of wheat that lack “bad glutens” that trigger the celiac disease, but include the “good glutens” that make bread and other products chewy, spongey and delicious? Such products would include all of the good things about wheat, but none of the bad things that might trigger celiac disease.
    A team of researchers in Spain is creating strains of wheat that lack the “bad glutens” that trigger the autoimmune disorder celiac disease. The team, based at the Institute for Sustainable Agriculture in Cordoba, Spain, is making use of the new and highly effective CRISPR gene editing to eliminate the majority of the gliadins in wheat.
    Gliadins are the gluten proteins that trigger the majority of symptoms for people with celiac disease.
    As part of their efforts, the team has conducted a small study on 20 people with “gluten sensitivity.” That study showed that test subjects can tolerate bread made with this special wheat, says team member Francisco Barro. However, the team has yet to publish the results.
    Clearly, more comprehensive testing would be needed to determine if such a product is safely tolerated by people with celiac disease. Still, with these efforts, along with efforts to develop vaccines, enzymes, and other treatments making steady progress, we are living in exciting times for people with celiac disease.
    It is entirely conceivable that in the not-so-distant future we will see safe, viable treatments for celiac disease that do not require a strict gluten-free diet.
    Read more at Digitaltrends.com , and at Newscientist.com

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 04/16/2018 - A team of researchers recently set out to investigate whether alterations in the developing intestinal microbiota and immune markers precede celiac disease onset in infants with family risk for the disease.
    The research team included Marta Olivares, Alan W. Walker, Amalia Capilla, Alfonso Benítez-Páez, Francesc Palau, Julian Parkhill, Gemma Castillejo, and Yolanda Sanz. They are variously affiliated with the Microbial Ecology, Nutrition and Health Research Unit, Institute of Agrochemistry and Food Technology, National Research Council (IATA-CSIC), C/Catedrático Agustín Escardin, Paterna, Valencia, Spain; the Gut Health Group, The Rowett Institute, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, UK; the Genetics and Molecular Medicine Unit, Institute of Biomedicine of Valencia, National Research Council (IBV-CSIC), Valencia, Spain; the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Hinxton, Cambridgeshire UK; the Hospital Universitari de Sant Joan de Reus, IISPV, URV, Tarragona, Spain; the Center for regenerative medicine, Boston university school of medicine, Boston, USA; and the Institut de Recerca Sant Joan de Déu and CIBERER, Hospital Sant Joan de Déu, Barcelona, Spain
    The team conducted a nested case-control study out as part of a larger prospective cohort study, which included healthy full-term newborns (> 200) with at least one first relative with biopsy-verified celiac disease. The present study includes 10 cases of celiac disease, along with 10 best-matched controls who did not develop the disease after 5-year follow-up.
    The team profiled fecal microbiota, as assessed by high-throughput 16S rRNA gene amplicon sequencing, along with immune parameters, at 4 and 6 months of age and related to celiac disease onset. The microbiota of infants who remained healthy showed an increase in bacterial diversity over time, especially by increases in microbiota from the Firmicutes families, those who with no increase in bacterial diversity developed celiac disease.
    Infants who subsequently developed celiac disease showed a significant reduction in sIgA levels over time, while those who remained healthy showed increases in TNF-α correlated to Bifidobacterium spp.
    Healthy children in the control group showed a greater relative abundance of Bifidobacterium longum, while children who developed celiac disease showed increased levels of Bifidobacterium breve and Enterococcus spp.
    The data from this study suggest that early changes in gut microbiota in infants with celiac disease risk could influence immune development, and thus increase risk levels for celiac disease. The team is calling for larger studies to confirm their hypothesis.
    Source:
    Microbiome. 2018; 6: 36. Published online 2018 Feb 20. doi: 10.1186/s40168-018-0415-6

Dr. Ron Hoggan, Ed.D.
    Celiac.com 04/14/2018 - There is a revolutionary new book about gluten sensitivity and celiac disease, written by Dr. Gordon Heinrichs, D.C. (whose article appears in this issue). His careers as a medical laboratory technologist, then a chiropractor, have uniquely located him to see gluten's impact on health in an entirely new way. His book critiques relevant scientific explorations and discoveries and the ensuing clinical practices. Titled "Celiac Disease & Gluten Sensitivity: A troubled past, but a promising future", this exciting book is a breath of fresh air in the field of gluten sensitivity and celiac disease. Dr. Heinrichs' thoughtful analysis of relevant data combined with the application of practical common sense explodes some of the common medical myths that claim to distinguish gluten sensitivity from celiac disease. He also explores conventional wisdom around dietary experimentation, and offers a rational approach to diagnosing gluten sensitivity. 
    The evidence Heinrichs provides raises questions about the view that we should continue to eat gluten until we can visit a gastroenterologist and get a biopsy taken. He also challenges the belief that HLA analysis is beneficial for those who are aware that gluten causes some or all of their health problems. 
    After a preview of the final draft, I can confidently predict that anyone who is interested in thoughtful, objective, and health promoting insights into gluten's impact on human health will be intrigued and motivated by the offerings of this inexpensive, powerful new ebook. I recommend it without reservation. It is very well researched and written and is now available on Amazon. I hope it will become the new best seller among books that explore the gluten syndrome.