BethM55

Gluten In Prescription Medication?

Rate this topic

I take several prescription medications. How do I go about learning if any of them contain gluten? Most are generics. Would the pharmacist know? Thanks! :blink:

The best way is to contact the manufacturer and ask if they are gluten free and I call the pharmacy every time before I refill my prescription to make sure they have not changed brands (generic) on me. What meds do you take? Maybesomenone here has experience with it.

Like Roda, I always contact the manufacturer directly. If the phone number is not on the bottle, the pharmacist can get it for you.

Definitely let us know what it is and who makes it--someone on here may know. :)

thank you for your replies. I checked one medication online, have sent an email query about another, but cannot figure out how to contact Novartis about the diovan that I take. I'm not sure why medications would need gluten anyway! So, any ideas if diovan has gluten or not, or how to find out?

Thanks!

thank you for your replies. I checked one medication online, have sent an email query about another, but cannot figure out how to contact Novartis about the diovan that I take. I'm not sure why medications would need gluten anyway! So, any ideas if diovan has gluten or not, or how to find out?

Thanks!

Call your pharmacist and have them check for you. They will likely need to call you back. Doctors really don't know whether a med is gluten free or not but the pharm should. I do often call the maker if I can to double check but making sure a med is safe for you is part of a pharmacists job.