Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BethM55

Gluten In Prescription Medication?

I take several prescription medications. How do I go about learning if any of them contain gluten? Most are generics. Would the pharmacist know? Thanks! :blink:

Self diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten free since 12/09.

Diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 15 years ago. Fibro symptoms have improved but not gone away with gluten free living.

Osteoarthritis, mostly in hands and neck and lumbar spine. Not sure if going gluten-free has helped that problem, but it certainly can't hurt. (Am very grateful that so far no sign of the RA that is devastating my mother lately.)

Considering a dairy free trial. Considering.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The best way is to contact the manufacturer and ask if they are gluten free and I call the pharmacy every time before I refill my prescription to make sure they have not changed brands (generic) on me. What meds do you take? Maybesomenone here has experience with it.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

Like Roda, I always contact the manufacturer directly. If the phone number is not on the bottle, the pharmacist can get it for you.

Definitely let us know what it is and who makes it--someone on here may know. :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

thank you for your replies. I checked one medication online, have sent an email query about another, but cannot figure out how to contact Novartis about the diovan that I take. I'm not sure why medications would need gluten anyway! So, any ideas if diovan has gluten or not, or how to find out?

Thanks!

Self diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten free since 12/09.

Diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 15 years ago. Fibro symptoms have improved but not gone away with gluten free living.

Osteoarthritis, mostly in hands and neck and lumbar spine. Not sure if going gluten-free has helped that problem, but it certainly can't hurt. (Am very grateful that so far no sign of the RA that is devastating my mother lately.)

Considering a dairy free trial. Considering.

thank you for your replies. I checked one medication online, have sent an email query about another, but cannot figure out how to contact Novartis about the diovan that I take. I'm not sure why medications would need gluten anyway! So, any ideas if diovan has gluten or not, or how to find out?

Thanks!

Call your pharmacist and have them check for you. They will likely need to call you back. Doctors really don't know whether a med is gluten free or not but the pharm should. I do often call the maker if I can to double check but making sure a med is safe for you is part of a pharmacists job.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)