This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

6 Year Old Complaining That There Is A Bubble In Her Throat?

angie315

angie315 Apprentice

My daughter has been diagnosed with Celiac disease since she turned 4 (she is no 6). She has had yearly blood tests which have all been in the normal range after we went gluten free. She has recently been complaining that she feels like there is a bubble in her throat. I keep thinking that it may be an allergy or acid reflux? Has anyone else had similar complaints?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

It could be a thyroid nodule or cyst, or Hashimoto's thyroiditis developing. Or hayfever allergies? Can you feel a bump where she says the bubble is? What the hey, probably wouldn't hurt to to get an ultrasound of her neck if it doesn't clear up by itself after while. I have a couple nodules and a cyst, and have had them for a few years. They usually aren't any big problem actually.

mommida Enthusiast

It could be dysphagia. Food could really be stuck in her throat.

Are you noticing any other symptoms?

Mango04 Enthusiast

I have a soy allergy that causes weird sensations in my throat....

angie315 Apprentice

She started complaining about it again last night after we had spaghetti pie (mozz cheese, parm., sauce, rice noodles). She was also clearing her throat a lot afterwards. I am wondering if it could be a dairy thing? She has never had problems with dairy before....could it start at 6? I am going to make a doctors appointment on Monday but I wanted to have more substance to go on that just "a bubble"!! I should also mention that she has a decreased appetite. She is still so skinny from having Celiac and now she is eating even less. I was thinking she was being dramatic (she typically is) but she actually agreed that she should go to the doctor last night. Now I am nervous but have to wait till Monday!

Mango04 Enthusiast

You could completely take her off dairy for several weeks and then reintroduce it slowly. And yeah, allergies can start/ become triggered at any age.

mommida Enthusiast

Dairy is known to cause more phelgm without an allergy diagnoses for humans.

When was the last time she had an endoscopy with biopsy? She may have to have one to determine if there is anything else going on and to check on the gluten free diet healing process.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Midwest Newbie

I'm new to this forum and so I can't say yet if it is gluten-related yet (I am two weeks gluten-free but got "glutened" yesterday from something I didn't catch).

As to what she is reporting, I've had the same sensation for the past few years. It usually comes on whenever I've had a tomato-based items like spaghetti sauce or something acidic. It also brings on a lot of throat-clearing. My doctor seemed to think it was regular acid reflux irritating the throat but the medicines he gave me never resolved it.

I've already noticed a reduction of a lot of symptoms I've had over the years - I am beginning to get a sense of smell back, I don't feel as lethargic (except today), the throat irritation hasn't appeared, I don't feel the nausea that always seemed to be around. Anyhow... I am very curious to see if the throat issues stay away too as a result of the gluten-free diet. So far it seems to be the case but then it has only been two weeks.

The throat issue has been terrible for me and I can't imagine what a young child must go through with it. It would drive my wife nuts that I was always clearing my throat to try to make the "bubble" feeling go away.

srsssss Newbie

I used to get that too! Actually I get it somewhat if I get glutened or eat soy, lactose, peanuts and almonds, some fruits and vegetables.

A lot of people do have lactose intolerace from the beginning is what my Dr. told me. He also said is common to notice some that become more prevalent since going gluten-free frees up so much of your body's resources. I have been lactose free pretty much just after going gluten-free.

For the person with the tomatoes...I know some people are also allergic to "nightshades" (tomatoes, potatoes etc) and perhaps it is just showing up now.

I can't eat any acidic fruits at ALL! give me that feeling too. For me blander is better LOL.

My dr said remove the offending food and try it again in a month to see if your reaction changes.

• 8 years later...
Rachelle12 Newbie

What did you find out about your daughter ? My son is 6 and has used the exact same sentence!! He feels like there is a bubble in his throat. He has been complaining on and off for the last year and recently it seems he complains more Ans Wants me to make a doctor appt. he had reflux bad as a baby until about 2.5 and allergies to fomula Ans my milk but since then I thought that all went away. 

Rachelle12 Newbie

I wrote you in thread asking what you found out ? My little guy is saying the same thing. 

cyclinglady Grand Master

Rachelle,

this is a pretty old thread, so this member may not respond.  Your child should see a doctor.  You could ask for celiac disease testing or have him elvaluted for something like EoE.  

https://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/related-conditions/eosinophilic-esophagitis

https://www.beyondceliac.org/celiac-disease/symptoms/children/

Archived