Shannonlass

Knorr Liquid Seasoning

Rate this topic

Still coming to grips with the label reading. Trying to find a substitute for soy sauce. Found this product in my local shop and these are the ingredients. Can anyone shed any light on them?

Ingredients: Water, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Glucose Iodized Salt, Monosodium Glutamate, Sugar, Natural Color, Iron EDTA Citric Acid, Disodium Inosinate and Disodium Guanylate (Flavor Enhancer), Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Potassium Iodide.

Looks ok to me.....

Still coming to grips with the label reading. Trying to find a substitute for soy sauce. Found this product in my local shop and these are the ingredients. Can anyone shed any light on them?

Ingredients: Water, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Glucose Iodized Salt, Monosodium Glutamate, Sugar, Natural Color, Iron EDTA Citric Acid, Disodium Inosinate and Disodium Guanylate (Flavor Enhancer), Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Potassium Iodide.

Looks ok to me.....

It lists no gluten. But, you might want to try San J Wheat Free Tamari, or La Choy Soy Sauce and Teriaki which are both gluten free.

Looks like it's gluten free.

Looks like it's food free, just chemicals, too. :P

I've read that many celiacs have trouble with MSG (monosodium glutimate) also.

I agree with Tarnalberry ... no real food there!

Are you trying to find something that's soy free or just gluten free?

Tamari is a great substitute if you're looking to avoid gluten only. If you're trying to avoid soy too you can make your own soy sauce alternative using beef broth, molasses and seasonings. I call it Noy sauce and it's quite good. Ping me if you'd like the recipe.

Another fan of San-J wheat-free tamari here. We love it.

San-J is good and has gluten free kinds. Check, not all of their product is gluten free. Bragg Liquid Aminos is excellent.

Another vote for the Bragg's liquid aminos here. We use it often and you can also get it in a spray bottle that adds a nice zing to steamed veggies or rice.

Would love to try any of these but where I live gluten-free products are thin on the ground. There were a couple of other soy sauces in the shop that didn't look like they contained wheat so might try one of those next.

Returning to the original question, then.

Knorr is a Unilever brand. Unilever's policy is to clearly disclose any gluten source by naming the grain in the ingredients list. Other companies whose labels can be trusted include Kraft, Con Agra and General Mills.

The product for which you listed the ingredients is gluten-free.

Knorr is a Unilever brand. Unilever's policy is to clearly disclose any gluten source by naming the grain in the ingredients list. Other companies whose labels can be trusted include Kraft, Con Agra and General Mills.

Thanks very much Psawyer. These things are good to know.

Would love to try any of these but where I live gluten-free products are thin on the ground. There were a couple of other soy sauces in the shop that didn't look like they contained wheat so might try one of those next.

I just use LaChoy........easy to find and no gluten!

Peter, I can't call ConAgra right now but this item from their FAQ has me questioning whether they now list all gluten.

"Which of your products contain gluten?

We are sorry to inform you that we do not have a source that lists the gluten content of our products. However, our product labels list common allergens, such as wheat, for those allergic to wheat gluten."

Has anybody asked them about this recently?

richard

This post from another thread reconfirms ConAgra's policy as of three days ago.

Below is a current statement regarding ConAgra Foods labeling policy, as discussed on a recent thread. Please note the bolded (by me).

March 19, 2010

Dear Mrs.___________,

Thank you for your questions. I would like to share some information that will be helpful for you in determining whether any of our ConAgra Foods products contains gluten.

Since Wheat is one of our top allergens, if it is used in the product, it would be listed in the Contains statement following the ingredients list. The flour used in many of our products is wheat flour and you should avoid these products if you have gluten sensitivities.

If any ingredient in the product includes rye, barley or oats, it will be listed in parentheses immediately following the ingredient. This also holds true for Natural Flavors, Artificial Flavors or Spices - wheat, oat, barley or rye would be called out following these items in the ingredient list.

Some fermented or distilled products such as vinegar may be derived from wheat. We suggest that you speak to your physician to determine if you need to avoid distilled products derived from wheat, rye, barley, or oats, as there are differing opinions between experts. You should avoid malted vinegar if you have gluten sensitivities.

We always advise consumers who may have sensitivities to recheck the ingredient list on the package each time you purchase it. Products are often reformulated and the ingredients may change.

ConAgra Foods currently does not make "gluten-free" claims on any of our products, because federal regulations defining "gluten-free" have not been established. We believe that clearly labeling the presence of allergens in the Contains statement and the ingredient list provides you with the most accurate information on whether a product contains gluten.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Sincerely,

Jacquelyn

Consumer Affairs

Ref: 052828584A

GREAT!!! I love it. Thanks, Peter.

But Conagra needs to change it's FAQ to make that more clear. What I posted would seem to say they just list wheat.

richard