BethM55

New Worst gluten-free Food Ever

Rate this topic

With great anticipation tonight, we cooked a bag of Conte's gluten free, Spinach and Cheese Ravioli. All Natural, Wheat Free, Gluten Free. They should've added Taste Free, Made with Paste. GACK. Gluey, tasteless, sticky, thick, stick-to-your-teeth texture. I even tried sauteeing them in olive oil, but it just made them taste like crispy glue. 'Nuff said? In all fairness, the filling was pretty good. Strangely enough, the dogs liked the pasta part of it, but I didn't give them more than a taste, as I feared it would stop up their intestines. Put these on your 'do not buy' list. :(

I actually love these and haven't had any of the complaints that you have here. I think Conte's products are definitely worth trying. To each his own I reckon!

I actually love these and haven't had any of the complaints that you have here. I think Conte's products are definitely worth trying. To each his own I reckon!

How do you cook them? Any differently than the package directions? We didn't put the whole tablespoon and a half of salt into the cooking water, as that seems excessive. Perhaps that was a factor. Maybe East coast water vs West coast water. Anyway, thanks for your reply, and I'm glad the product works for you!

How do you cook them? Any differently than the package directions? We didn't put the whole tablespoon and a half of salt into the cooking water, as that seems excessive. Perhaps that was a factor. Maybe East coast water vs West coast water. Anyway, thanks for your reply, and I'm glad the product works for you!

Yea I just cook them per the package with some salt, not the amount on the package though, just enough to get it to boil like you would anytime you're cooking!

wow, that is a first about Conte's ! Most people love Conte's....... sorry about your experience. were they maybe old????

mamaw

wow, that is a first about Conte's ! Most people love Conte's....... sorry about your experience. were they maybe old????

mamaw

No, they weren't old. Maybe it's because I don't like rice pasta in general? The memory of the paste-like taste and texture is still vivid... Wonder if they'd be better if simmered in chicken stock.

I really like these and I don't like rice pasta. Hmm, I do think they are tricker to cook. They can't boil too hard and there is a narrow window of deliciousness.

Did you cook them all or do you have some more to experiment with?

I really like these and I don't like rice pasta. Hmm, I do think they are tricker to cook. They can't boil too hard and there is a narrow window of deliciousness.

Did you cook them all or do you have some more to experiment with?

They all got cooked. Others in the household cooked that night, so they may have been boiled too hard, and gotten tough. How long do you cook yours?

For us I cook as the directions state but not a hard boil. The reason I asked if they were old is I found a bag buried deep in my freezer for over a year.. When I cooked them the edges were hard but the rest was fine.

We are having ravioli from Conte's tonight for supper....maybe try them one more time.....

I will tell you there is a better ravioli out there! But for the price Conte's is it. But DePumas has excellent ravioli & several others. They are what one would find in an up scale restaurant.. He is a chef & has competed in I think the iron chef competiton a year or two ago...they are the very best but the price is also higher...We do enjoy those for special occassions.Shipping is horrible.....

blessings

mamaw

For us I cook as the directions state but not a hard boil. The reason I asked if they were old is I found a bag buried deep in my freezer for over a year.. When I cooked them the edges were hard but the rest was fine.

We are having ravioli from Conte's tonight for supper....maybe try them one more time.....

I will tell you there is a better ravioli out there! But for the price Conte's is it. But DePumas has excellent ravioli & several others. They are what one would find in an up scale restaurant.. He is a chef & has competed in I think the iron chef competiton a year or two ago...they are the very best but the price is also higher...We do enjoy those for special occassions.Shipping is horrible.....

blessings

mamaw

Thanks, I might give it another try. The DePumas sounds interesting. If I were ambitious enough, I'd try making it myself. But that's another day and another story and another lifetime, perhaps.

I was just googling to see where I could find more Conte's Spinach and Cheese Gluten Free Ravioli and ended up at this website and saw this post and thought I should write about my experience.  We just had these ravioli's last night for the first time and they were wonderful!  When it came to cooking them, the directions said bring them back to simmer, cook for 6-8 minutes. I was not sure what this meant.  So I put them in full boiling water, I stirred very gently until you could see that they were just going to start to boil again. This had take some time which I was not sure if it should be counted in the 6-8 minutes or not so after 3 more minutes, I tried them and they were perfect.  I took them off and ladled them out of the hot water so they would not cook any more.  They did not come apart at all and tasted wonderful with a tomato basil sauce with parmesan cheese and fresh basil on top...mmmm!

I know this is an old post but.... I toast mine it makes them crispy instead of pastey

I know this is an old post but.... I toast mine it makes them crispy instead of pastey

do you toast them in a pan, like pierogies?  or coat them in bread crumbs or do them in the oven - very interesting!  (i have a bag of them in the freezer.  i like to play with my food :)