This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eggs

Guest talsop

Guest talsop

Hi all,

I am working on being gluten-free for a year and I have noticed that I can not eat fried eggs or scrambled eggs without getting deathly sick. Has anyone else had a problem since going gluten free with eggs or is it just my imagination?

Terri

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Leidenschaft

Terri, what are your deathly sick symptoms? :blink:

I've not had anything that extreme and I can tolerate eggs a lot better since being gluten-free for over 1 year. Before going gluten-free I used to have occasional episodes where I would start to eat an egg, either fried or scrambled, and I would feel really nauseous and also felt like my throat would close up. I would have to stop eating and throw the rest away. The frustrating thing was I wouldn't know until after the first bite if I was going to be able to eat an egg that day or not! :unsure:

Weird! <_<

Anyone else with egg issues??

plantime Contributor

My egg issue is migraines! Hmmhmmhmm! Just a teeny-tiny bit that is in a tsp of Miracle Whip is all it takes to set me off. No eggs for me, I do not like being sick! I also can't have poultry meat, for the same reason.

Guest gfinnebraska

Could it be your pan and not the eggs?? Or the butter/oil you are using?? I would HATE to think you have an egg sensitivity... that would be horrible!! IF you are using a pan that was used with gluten containing foods, there could be residue left in it.

Hope you figure it out and it isn't the eggs!!! :(

skbird Contributor

I have times where I crave eggs and others when I can't stand the thought of them. Boiled eggs are usually ok for me, mayonaise has never been a problem. But scrambled or omlettes sometimes are really off-putting, also coddled (in a porcelain coddler, cooked in boiling water) will turn me off as well. Sometimes it's the combo of mushrooms and eggs - just the smell of that will make me nauseated, but others it will be a delicious breakfast. Like Leidenschaft - I won't know sometimes until I put the egg in my mouth.

I would suspect the frying pans for me but I have new ones. Also, this has plagued me for several years now, long before I went gluten free.

I have another friend who has similar reactions - sometimes eggs are great (esp. deviled eggs) but others they will make her gag.

It's an odd phenomenon.

Stephanie

psawyer Proficient

Before I went gluten-free I used to have problems with eggs, or at least that's what it seemed. If I ate more than about one every three days, I had intestinal distress. Since going gluten-free, I no longer have trouble. But knowing what I do now, I'm not sure it was really the eggs that were the problem--maybe it was just all the gluten I was eating with them ;)

Guest talsop
Terri, what are your deathly sick symptoms?  :blink:

About 1/2 hr. after eating them I get a constant pain in my stomach right below your breast bone in the middle.

My stomach feels like it could exploded any minute. I get real bloated and very nauseated to where I feel like I could throw up. It usually last the whole day and all I can do is lay flat on my back. This sounds crazy but I have to where very low cut underwear (not my usual granny panies LOL) when that happens because anything that touches my stomach makes it worse. It feels like someone has blown my stomach up 10 inches.

Could it be colon problems and not gluten-free? I recently had a colonospy and it came back fine.

If so, why does it only bother me now after being gluten-free. I know its not cross contanimation because there is NOTHING in my house with gluten in it. I use Mazola pan spray not oil. Also I can eat bolied eggs or deviled eggs with no problems. Wierd.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

funny you mention this... I ate a scrambled egg this morning and was nauseas all day long. I'm just now feeling like maybe I can eat something.

Emme999 Enthusiast

Eggs showed up on my allergy test - but I can't tell if anything is happening when I eat them. I'm seriously wondering if I have any feeling in my stomach... supposedly I'm allergic to lots of things but I can never tell! If it weren't for the ELISA allergy testing, I would have no clue!

Guest Leidenschaft

Wow, so I'm not WEIRD afterall! :blink::lol:

I had the skin scratch allergy testing last month (waste of money!!! :angry: ) but eggs did not show up as a problem. I also do not suspect gluten contamination since I get quite a different reaction from being "glutinated".

Eggs and cheese are GROSS, and I love mushrooms fried with my potatoes, but NOT my eggs! :blink:

They are a curious invention these eggies... my personal favourite are the Cadbury Mini Eggs! :wub::lol:

skbird Contributor

Ha ha! I love Cadbury regular cream eggs....

There must be something about boiled/deviled versus fried/scrambled. That is the defining line for me. If the egg is cooked within its own shell, it is fine with me. It's just when it's cooked outside its shell that I may not tolerate it...

Stephanie

huskers Newbie

Tammy,

I have the same reaction. The constant pain right below the breast bone and the bloating. I would also like to know why they affect me this way and it seems like I have had this for about five years with it getting progressively worse. I avoid them as much as possible. I have found that if I take Aciphex it will relieve the symptoms to a bearable pain.

Marla

skbird Contributor

So over the weekend my husband gets up and makes breakfast - bacon and eggs. He asked if I wanted a scrambled egg and I couldn't decide - remembering this thread, but finally said sure. Then I got all excited about eating the eggs and bacon so I go in the kitchen, get one whif of the egg and feel like throwing up.

Believe it or not I ate the egg and was fine.

I don't understand eggs at all...

Stephanie

Emme999 Enthusiast

Maybe the good eggs come from chickens who eat quinoa and the bad ones come from chickens who eat wheat ..? :blink:

Anythings possible!! ;)

- Michelle :wub:

• 3 years later...
gluteybooty Newbie

Talsop, I have exactly the same symptoms. Even down to the underwear problem. Also, I have been gluten free for about 15 months. Never had an egg problem before. Have not tried eating eggs boiled or deviled. Very strange. This is such a problem, though; I had to ask my doctor for pain meds in case it happens again. Pain so bad I wanted to die. Have you learned anything new about it?? Noticed any other patterns? What did your doctor say about it? Thank goodness I found this thread. Thought I was crazy.

• 1 year later...
Nitatension Newbie

Thanks for these feeds. I was trying to connect my reaction to eggs with my gluten isues - unsuccessfully. I have been gluten free for only 4 months and still learning what I can and cannot eat, but now I've learned that fried eggs give me the same symptoms as when glutened - not a prety picture. On the other hand, I can eat organic egg white omlets with no problem. I have not tried boiled or develed eggs, and because my reaction to fried eggs is so bad, I do not want to risk it. Also, I'm wondering if I might have an allergy to the casien or to the lactose in Milk. I tried Lactaid as a substitute, and I had a really bad reaction to that as well. I've got the gluten free diet down and am experiencing relief from that, but these unexpected reactions to other food products is very discouraging. Anyone out there got any advice for me?

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Thanks for these feeds. I was trying to connect my reaction to eggs with my gluten isues - unsuccessfully. I have been gluten free for only 4 months and still learning what I can and cannot eat, but now I've learned that fried eggs give me the same symptoms as when glutened - not a prety picture. On the other hand, I can eat organic egg white omlets with no problem. I have not tried boiled or develed eggs, and because my reaction to fried eggs is so bad, I do not want to risk it. Also, I'm wondering if I might have an allergy to the casien or to the lactose in Milk. I tried Lactaid as a substitute, and I had a really bad reaction to that as well. I've got the gluten free diet down and am experiencing relief from that, but these unexpected reactions to other food products is very discouraging. Anyone out there got any advice for me?

This thread is really old, but I was wondering if you have gotten new pans since going gluten free? If you pans are non-stick or cast iron, especially there is a huge risk of glutening your gluten free food with them. Fried eggs are really likely to pick up gluten from any scratches in the pan. I'm not saying you don't have a problem with eggs, you might since many of us have other food intolerances. But if you can eat foods that have eggs in them (like mayo or a gluten free cookie or something) and have no problems I would suspect the pans first. As far as the milk goes that is one of the most common food intolerance to go along with gluten--either casein or lactose. Try avoiding dairy for at least six months to a year and then maybe you can try it again if your body heals enough. When you do try milk again try something like yogurt or a low-lactose cheese rather than milk. In the mean time there are many substitutes for cow's milk: Almond Milk, Rice Milk, Hemp Milk, Coconut milk, Soy milk (although many also have problems with soy, so watch out) and some people even find they can tolerate goat's milk instead of cow's milk. There's a company that make coconut milk ice cream and it is really yummy. :)

chasbari Apprentice

About 1/2 hr. after eating them I get a constant pain in my stomach right below your breast bone in the middle.

My stomach feels like it could exploded any minute. I get real bloated and very nauseated to where I feel like I could throw up. It usually last the whole day and all I can do is lay flat on my back. This sounds crazy but I have to where very low cut underwear (not my usual granny panies LOL) when that happens because anything that touches my stomach makes it worse. It feels like someone has blown my stomach up 10 inches.

Could it be colon problems and not gluten-free? I recently had a colonospy and it came back fine.

If so, why does it only bother me now after being gluten-free. I know its not cross contanimation because there is NOTHING in my house with gluten in it. I use Mazola pan spray not oil. Also I can eat bolied eggs or deviled eggs with no problems. Wierd.

Does Mazola contain soy? I know that when I first went gluten-free I had as bad if not a worse reaction to soy. More painful than glutening once the diet got cleaned up. Turns out it is hidden in many things as well. Tuna, Mayo, margarine, cooking oils. I eat a dozen eggs a day most times and only use EVOO or pop one in the micro for 42 seconds using nothing at all. The pan I use to make my morning omelet is a dedicated pan bought only for my use when we started all this. Seems that you can tolerate eggs prepared without any suspect oils that might contain soy. Yet another label item to be vigilant about if you find you have issues with it. If you use corn oil margarine that might also be suspect as some here experience intolerance to corn and corn by-products. I cannot tolerate any corn products but, whereas the soy is a pretty instant reaction, corn will usually take several days before I realize I have that dull ache in the gut feeling that tells me something isn't right.

Tina B Apprentice

Hi all,

I am working on being gluten-free for a year and I have noticed that I can not eat fried eggs or scrambled eggs without getting deathly sick. Has anyone else had a problem since going gluten free with eggs or is it just my imagination?

Terri

There is no gluten in eggs. Perhaps you've developed an allergy to eggs.

• 7 months later...
thegreatkatsby Newbie

I know this is an old thread--but I've been noticing a horrible reaction every time I eat breakfast at a restaurant that is very gluten-conscious, so I'd like to share my thoughts and compare notes.

I was allergy tested for just about everything a few years ago without any results (i.e. no allergies), so I doubt I am allergic to eggs. A neurologist caught the celiac in January of this year and was blown away by my blood results. It's nice to have something to tie a lot of my symptoms back to!

Here's my speculation concerning eggs: from what I can tell by googling, eggs are one of the top foods (if not THE top food) for irritating gallbladders and instigating gallbladder attacks. Gallbladder problems are very common in celiac patients. Pain in the area described by many of the users in this forum seems to match the pain felt during a gallbladder attack. I'm assuming the eggs are causing gallbladder attacks in those who are noticing a reaction. This would make the pain a secondary result of the celiac--the celiac leads to gallbladder malfunction, and the gallbladder malfunction results in a reaction to eggs.

The problem I'm having is that I seem to have emotional symptoms as well as gastro/abdominal problems after I eat eggs. Within an hour or so of eating the eggs, I feel really angry, antisocial, and depressed all at the same time--in a completely irrational way. In the past, I lashed out at people as a result of these feelings... now that I know I'm dealing with at least celiac, it's easier to blame the symptoms on the disease, be upfront with people about it, and then try to work around the symptoms. I don't know if a gallbladder attack could cause emotional/neurological symptoms in the same way that I believe gluten can, but perhaps it might?

cap6 Enthusiast

If you are ordering scrambled eggs then they could be adding a filler that has gluten to make the eggs fluffier.

thegreatkatsby Newbie

If you are ordering scrambled eggs then they could be adding a filler that has gluten to make the eggs fluffier.

In my case, I'm eating an omelet ordered off a gluten-free menu in a restaurant that is conscious about food allergies.

Nor-TX Enthusiast

Yikes, I thought I was the only one who had this reaction to eggs. If they are mixed into something I am usually ok. If my DH cooks some eggs I almost die. I start on my Zofran and the nausea lasts for hours. He usually cooks himself an egg when I am out or on his day off. Every few months I might try an egg and then hours later, after being so ill I remember why I don't eat them.

• 4 months later...
mish-mosh Newbie

I have to tell you this is interesting. I am 26 and found out two years ago that I had celiac disease. Shortly after my father found out as well. Now he has recently started having trouble with eggs too. He never had any problems before eating gluten free. When he eats eggs, he gets the same pain and discomfort several of you have described for the whole day. Has anyone figured out anything new as of late.

bartfull Rising Star

I am so, SO glad I don't have this problem! I LOVE eggs. When I was born, I was sick, and for the first three years of my life it was touch and go. Pneumonia, over and over again, croup, jaundice, all kinds of things. Eggs were the ONLY thing they could get me to eat. It was like my body, even at age two, knew it needed the nutrients in eggs and craved them.

Fast forward to now, and eggs are still one of my favorite foods. Especially now that I am having all of these problems with other foods. I like them cooked any way, but since starting the gluten free diet I have gone back to the eggs of my childhood - soft boiled. Quick, easy, and oh so tasty. Today I had a green egg (no ham though :lol: ). The people I buy eggs from have chickens that lay dark brown, light brown, white, and green. They are all good, and SO much better than the ones from the grocery store.

Archived