This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sick While Still Healing

DonaldandAlanda Evans

DonaldandAlanda Evans Apprentice

Right when I'm starting to feel better gluten free; I caught a bad cold......Has this happened to anyone else? I feel like I've lost ground and I'm starting all over again!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

If your still having issues you really should consider something you posted in another thread.

"McDonald's french fries have no more gluten than distilled vinegar or distilled spirits.....all of witch are in question.....all of witch I consume with no issues whatsoever. I've only been on this site a couple of months and have already seen these questions asked more times than I can count. "

Perhaps you are having more issues with stuff like McD's frys than you think you are. Do keep in mind that reactions to gluten can be delayed. If you consume a questionable food item and get sick two days later it can be a gluten reaction. The reason why the reaction can be delayed is because it can take a couple days for the antibodies to build back up. That is why when we challenge something we need to consume it for a week daily before we decide we are fine with it.

newgfcali Rookie

Right when I'm starting to feel better gluten free; I caught a bad cold......Has this happened to anyone else? I feel like I've lost ground and I'm starting all over again!

Yup. About month 2 of being gluten free I caught a cold. Bummer. Knocked me down for a few days. I think our immune systems are working overtime trying to get "normal" again, so they're just not interested in battling some puny little cold bug.

Hang in there. It'll get better. Drink lots of fluids, plenty of rest, and have a little chicken soup. :)

bristol Newbie

Yes, the immune system seems extremely delicate which makes sense since it is based in your digestive track. I find that after 2 years of gluten free the only way I can stay relatively not super sick is to be very very careful and eat totally safe, very small easily digestible small meals. This may sound like a real drag, but you are sick! Treat yourself like you are and only then do you have a chance to get better. I think of it like this. My digestive system is a sick child who will whine at me with the smallest upset. This way I have found I can take care of myself, but it is very very frustrating when I get sick anyway which does happen occasionally.

To try to maintain I have to chew everything til it's paste. If I get constipated it is all over. If I get too hungry it is all over. I cannot eat fruit. I have to really cook vegetables well and then chew them well. Anything hard for my digestive system to handle and it's all over. I cannot take supplements - my stomach revolts no matter what I have tried, even gluten free vitamins. I basically buy only vegetables, rice, meat and never add anything processed at all. Organic dairy is a must(I do well on dairy, thank god) I do not trust anything that says "Natural flavors" (which is added to all regular butter.)

DonaldandAlanda Evans Apprentice

If your still having issues you really should consider something you posted in another thread.

"McDonald's french fries have no more gluten than distilled vinegar or distilled spirits.....all of witch are in question.....all of witch I consume with no issues whatsoever. I've only been on this site a couple of months and have already seen these questions asked more times than I can count. "

Perhaps you are having more issues with stuff like McD's frys than you think you are. Do keep in mind that reactions to gluten can be delayed. If you consume a questionable food item and get sick two days later it can be a gluten reaction. The reason why the reaction can be delayed is because it can take a couple days for the antibodies to build back up. That is why when we challenge something we need to consume it for a week daily before we decide we are fine with it.

If you would have read my post, it states that I caught a non Celiac related cold.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

If you would have read my post, it states that I caught a non Celiac related cold.

Actually I did read your whole original post. If you are still getting small amounts of CC your immune system may be fighting that and not able to handle fighting off things like viruses. I was always sick and caught everything that went around until after I had been gluten free for a bit.

I should have added that but it was early in the day when I replied.

meatslayer Newbie

Every one can catch a cold... not every one has to eat Mickey D'd fries. I'd rather have the cold.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

yep I caught a cold right after I started to feel better and I was so depressed about it. The wonderful part was that before being gluten free every cold turned into a major 4 week ordeal, sinus infections, bronchitis, antibiotics and just a mess. This cold went away in the normal few days and was a normal cold.

Now I have a head cold/sinus infection. But, again it's not progressing into the sever infections that I used to get just 2 days into it.

Archived