jello5

Gluten Free Oats?

Rate this topic

Hi All,

I am intolerant to all gluten. I am also sensitive to oats (thats what a naturapathic test showed, though they never seemed to bother me). I know there are "gluten free oats" out there (like Bobs Red Mill and others.) So, is it the actual oat that is gluten or does gluten get into the oats during processing. Very confusing. Would like my oatmeal back but not sure if it would do more harm than good. Any insights?

Hi All,

I am intolerant to all gluten. I am also sensitive to oats (thats what a naturapathic test showed, though they never seemed to bother me). I know there are "gluten free oats" out there (like Bobs Red Mill and others.) So, is it the actual oat that is gluten or does gluten get into the oats during processing. Very confusing. Would like my oatmeal back but not sure if it would do more harm than good. Any insights?

Gluten is the term that they tell us as a celiac patient to avoid as in wheat, rye, and barley. The scientific term for "true" gluten is the storage protein found in all grains. There is a specific one for each grain. Hordein--barley, gliadin/glutenin--wheat, and secalin--rye are the ones that are harmful if you have celiac or gluten intolerence. Mainstream oats are considered to be contaminated by wheat, hence the pure gluten free oats that are grown away from the offending grains, harvested on different equipment and processessed seperatly. Avenin(storage protein)--oats will, in approximatley 10-15% of celiacs, induce the same reaction and damage as those found in wheat, rye and barley (gliadin/glutenin, secalin, and hordein). There are storage proteins "gluten" in safe grains and you may find on a lable "corn gluten". I don't have the names of the proteins of the safe grains.

Also, to add to all the good info Roda gave you, it's best to avoid even gluten-free oats if you are recently diagnosed. They're something to be added cautiously after you've had a chance to heal.

I eat Bob Red Mill's Gluten Free Oats without issue. I cannot define how sensitive I am, but they've worked well for me.

I can't eat oats at all. I've done several experiments with them and have gotten sick every time. I think it's just all about how you react. If you're newly diagnosed, I'd definitely wait a long time before you experiment with gluten free oats, just so your body is healed up a bit. I've been a celiac for 6 1/2 years and I just tested the gluten free oats out on myself starting this past summer. I miss oats but I enjoy spending my time out of the bathroom, so I gave it up :blink:

I forgot to mention that I reacted badly the first time I ate gluten free oats approximately 7 months after going gluten free. That reaction was enough for me to never want to try them again. I was in so much pain I laid in a fetal position for a whole evening and then was constipated for 5 days. It was not pleasant. I'm jelous of those who can eat them. I really miss them. :(

Hi All,