elle's mom

Plaster Of Paris Hand Mold Project

Rate this topic

My dd's preschool teacher asked if it would be OK to let her make a hand mold using Plaster of Paris (they're making them for Mother's Day). She showed me the container and I read the ingredients which seemed OK. But I remember hearing that drywall was an issue, that the dust and plaster contained gluten so I wasn't sure if we should let her do it. I could not find anything specifically about "plaster of paris" though. She has never had any of the skin issues when exposed to gluten, so I wasn't sure if maybe it would be OK as long as she washed her hands really well after......what do you guys think?

I let my kids participate in projects. They don't have topical reactions. Stressed the importance of hand washing.

In pre-school I volunteered when I was able and concerned about craft ingredients. Sounds like the teacher is caring and concerned and opened up communication for your dd. :D

Totally different things, plaster of paris and drywall. I'd let my kid do it.

If you still a little nervous you could try putting her hand in a very thin plastic bag first. I think if she or the teacher hold it so that it is tight against her hand, not wrapped but just holding it from above, she could still get a good print.

If you still a little nervous you could try putting her hand in a very thin plastic bag first. I think if she or the teacher hold it so that it is tight against her hand, not wrapped but just holding it from above, she could still get a good print.

Good idea....thanks guys, I do feel a lot better now! :) Can't wait to get that gift for Mother's Day. :D