This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac And Obsessive Compulsive Disorder/anxiety

lakegirl410

lakegirl410 Rookie

Hi!

I'm not sure how long I've been suffering from Celiac Disease, but I've had stomach issues since high school. I also have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder/Anxiety/Depression. That's been going on since I was about three. I was wondering if there is any type of link. I know OCD/Anxiety/Depression is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain, but it seems to me that my stomach issues got much worse at the same time that I had an emotional meltdown and had to be put on SSRIs. This was around the time I graduated from college and was forced to look for a "real" job in the "real" world. (Art History just doesn't pay the bills.) I really don't know if there could be a link, but I was wondering if anybody has any ideas.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

WheatChef Apprentice

There is a very strong link between gluten and at the very least anxiety and depression (would have to ask someone else about the OCD). For me my chronic anxiety went away quite quickly after going gluten free.

Wolicki Enthusiast

'Before going gluten free, as I got sicker and sicker, I was on Xanax 4 times a day. That went away within days :D

glutout Rookie

'Before going gluten free, as I got sicker and sicker, I was on Xanax 4 times a day. That went away within days :D

For 7 years I have been on disability due to anxiety, and neurological problems. I have only gotten worse. Meds nor therapy helped. Recently, I was diagnosed with Celiacs. I do not know if there is a connection. I have seen a lady who says I have had so much malabsorption issues for so long that I am depleted in all the nutrients required for my brain and body to function normally. I don't know how much scientific proof there is for this , but she has me on vitamins and minerals to help. I have tried to take supplements in the past, but they never really helped. She gives me "predigested" vitamins. Everything is powder or liquid that I have to drink because otherwise, I wouldn't absorb or digest them very well. Makes sense, but the results are yet to be seen. It's only been about 2 weeks.

So, I guess there could be a connection because of the other problems contribued BY the Celiac Disease.

MRM Apprentice

i believe gluten has caused my anxiety and depression issues all my life. by week 3 of being gluten free i felt so relaxed and happy. i got glutened last week and i could tell almost immediately because the panic feeling came back very quickly.

fitbunni Newbie

wow i am so glad i read this. i just posted a Q about celiac and bipolar and im thinking they are def. related. im having such a hard time going gluten free tho. im so exhausted trying to uncover all the traps and hidden gluten EVERYWHERE. i just lost my health insurance today, though, so i am sort of happy that i may be able to treat my bpd with diet alone.

StacyA Enthusiast

OCD has more of a hereditary link than general anxiety and depression (there's also a link between OCD and tourette's in families) - in other words, if you have true OCD you were born with it.

Celiac's could probably worsen OCD, but not cause it. SSRI's generally are the best treatment for OCD. Counseling techniques and self-help don't hold a candle to SSRI's for OCD. (Some people have tried St. John's Wort - but I haven't seen it work as well as a prescribed SSRI.)

As for depression and anxiety - see how a gluten-free diet effects those. For some people, anxiety is inherited and for some people anxiety is environmentally caused and for some people it's both. The same for depression.

And fitbunni - I commented on your post about bipolar. True bipolar disorder really can't be treated by a gluten-free diet. But see my reply.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

There seems to be some link between celiac and schizophrenia. I don't know if there is any link to OCD or other disorders. Probably depression is linked. Gluten ataxia is also linked to celiac. It seems to me that celiac can definitely affect the brain. I don't think there is really any doubt about that. There are also people who put their autistic children on a Gluten-free Casein-free diet. If you search on "celiac OCD" or any other condition name you can find lots of info on possible affects.

Schizophrenia / Mental Problems and Celiac Disease

• 2 weeks later...
kimann79 Apprentice

This is an interesting thread. I was diagnosed with OCD after my first child was born. I've had pretty bad anxiety since I was about four, but it spun out of control after having my daughter. I'm not sure if I have "true" OCD, despite what my therapist said, or I just have a bizarre form of severe anxiety. Whatever it was, it was bad.

I've noticed a reduction of anxiety since switching from Synthroid to T3/HC though for my thyroid disease.

I wonder if going gluten free would further reduce my anxiety. That would be fabulous!

BTW, every book I've read on the subject (and I've read a ton!) suggested or plainly stated that behavior therapy and exposure and response techniques were the best course of treatment for OCD. Of course, I'm not a doctor, but I am fairly obsessive when it comes to learning about my health. ;)

Mtndog Collaborator

Hi!

I'm not sure how long I've been suffering from Celiac Disease, but I've had stomach issues since high school. I also have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder/Anxiety/Depression. That's been going on since I was about three.

I am so glad I popped into this thread. Your story sounds like mine- I had stomach/depression/anxiety issues from a very young age. There is definitely a link between celiac and psych issues. I don't have "true" OCD but my GAD (generalized Anxiety Disorder) has manifested as OCD several times.

I have been gluten-free for 5 years and that has gotten MUCH better. I still need to be on meds, but I have Lyme which causes a whole host of psych symptoms. Many people on this board have reported being able to go off or reduce depression/anxiety meds after going gluten-free!

For 7 years I have been on disability due to anxiety, and neurological problems. I have only gotten worse. Meds nor therapy helped. Recently, I was diagnosed with Celiacs.

I hope you feel better soon!

You might be interested in this article- many doctors regard the gut as the second brain Celiac And The Gluten Gut-Brain Connection Seen In Reversible Abnormal SPECT Brain Scans

It says, "SPECT brain imaging of the majority of the few celiac disease patients studied reveals abnormalities that are usually most severe in the frontal areas of the brain. Improvement of these abnormalities are seen on a gluten-free diet. The frontal area of the brain is important in brain function that controls attention, impulse control, organization, and problem solving. Problems in this area of the brain result in short attention span, disorganization, procrastination, short-term memory problems, anxiety and depression."

BTW, every book I've read on the subject (and I've read a ton!) suggested or plainly stated that behavior therapy and exposure and response techniques were the best course of treatment for OCD. Of course, I'm not a doctor, but I am fairly obsessive when it comes to learning about my health. ;)

Yes- behavior therapy is crucial with true OCD but meds can help that process.

passionfruit877 Apprentice

Very interesting. I wanted to say I have much more anxiety when I get glutened as well.

• 4 weeks later...
Looking for answers Contributor

I had OCD back to my earliest childhood memory. It was debilating throughout my childhood and teenage years. I went through therapy, tried meds, neither helped. I read a really good book on the subject that helped me control some of the symptoms througout college and early adulthood so I could eliminate the compulsions, but the obessions continued. Then (THANK GOD) I stopped eating gluten in 2006. Good news, it went away. Today, I'm happy to report that I no longer suffer from it. I would still say that my personality is Type A/somewhat obessive, but the difference is I control what I'm obsessive about. Meaning, I only get obessive about things I ENJOY thinking about and doing - like learnign about health. :) I haven't since had an negative obession or compulsion. I have a feeling you'll find the same releif. Be sure to get on a good multivitamin/multimineral. Remember, our stomachs don't absorb a lot of nutrients, and this often causes or worsens the problem. I take a liquid one twice a day that is similar to blood plasma (AKA isotonic), so it is super easy to absorb, and I take it on an empty stomach.

I somewhat agree with another poster who said it is genetic (my grandmother, mom and brother have OCD too). However, I but if they went gluten free their symptoms who clear up as well.

• 7 years later...
fletcher96 Explorer
On 4/6/2010 at 8:31 PM, StacyA said:

OCD has more of a hereditary link than general anxiety and depression (there's also a link between OCD and tourette's in families) - in other words, if you have true OCD you were born with it.

Celiac's could probably worsen OCD, but not cause it. SSRI's generally are the best treatment for OCD. Counseling techniques and self-help don't hold a candle to SSRI's for OCD. (Some people have tried St. John's Wort - but I haven't seen it work as well as a prescribed SSRI.)

As for depression and anxiety - see how a gluten-free diet effects those. For some people, anxiety is inherited and for some people anxiety is environmentally caused and for some people it's both. The same for depression.

And fitbunni - I commented on your post about bipolar. True bipolar disorder really can't be treated by a gluten-free diet. But see my reply.

I didn't develop severe OCD (yes, severe. I can actually say I was diagnosed) until shortly after my grandma died when I was 12. The OCD was triggered by trauma. Sure, you could have the genes for greater likelihood of having OCD, but you're making it seem like you either 100% develop it or 100% don't. That's like saying you will develop celiac if you were born with the genes. But this isn't true because 30% of the population has the celiac genes.

Plus, OCD is an anxiety disorder. It's a form of anxiety. OCD is a means to keep control just like anorexia. Both can be triggered by upsetting life events, which is what happened to me and lots of other people. I've been living with this cruel mental disorder for 10 years - trust me, I know what I'm talking about. I have been on at least three different types of SSRIs since I was 12. None of them worked. It was a waste of time and money. It was like taking a sugar pill for months on end. The only thing that has ever worked was CBT. But that takes a lot of time and effort for a lot of people, so many give up.

OCD can definitely be environmental. It's an anxiety disorder.

knitty kitty Grand Master
On 3/1/2018 at 5:33 PM, fletcher96 said:

I didn't develop severe OCD (yes, severe. I can actually say I was diagnosed) until shortly after my grandma died when I was 12. The OCD was triggered by trauma. Sure, you could have the genes for greater likelihood of having OCD, but you're making it seem like you either 100% develop it or 100% don't. That's like saying you will develop celiac if you were born with the genes. But this isn't true because 30% of the population has the celiac genes.

Plus, OCD is an anxiety disorder. It's a form of anxiety. OCD is a means to keep control just like anorexia. Both can be triggered by upsetting life events, which is what happened to me and lots of other people. I've been living with this cruel mental disorder for 10 years - trust me, I know what I'm talking about. I have been on at least three different types of SSRIs since I was 12. None of them worked. It was a waste of time and money. It was like taking a sugar pill for months on end. The only thing that has ever worked was CBT. But that takes a lot of time and effort for a lot of people, so many give up.

OCD can definitely be environmental. It's an anxiety disorder.

Again, always check the date.  This is an old thread.  You can start your own new thread.

I have some articles that you might find interesting and helpful.  

Open Original Shared Link

Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause OCD.  

And strange behavior

And other deficiencies

And what wheat and dairy can do to your brain.

Hope these help.

fletcher96 Explorer
10 hours ago, knitty kitty said:

Again, always check the date.  This is an old thread.  You can start your own new thread.

I have some articles that you might find interesting and helpful.  

Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause OCD.  

And strange behavior

And other deficiencies

And what wheat and dairy can do to your brain.

Hope these help.

I got my blood checked, and everything was normal. I'm at a loss of what to do. I'm beginning to think I am really just mentally ill even though I don't think I'm depressed or psychotic, but if the doctors think I am, it must be true! (sarcasm partially intended). I'm interested in what the last two studies have to say, though. It could be just food allergies. My brother gets them, too, especially with tree nuts (anaphylaxis). He sleeps all the time and always has. It's got to be the food. Maybe not gluten but a wheat allergy? Who knows. Thank you.

knitty kitty Grand Master

One more on NCGS, celiac disease, and mood disorders.  

There are lots of articles out there that connect wheat and dairy allergies to mental changes.  Have you done any tests for allergies? 

I believe subclinical vitamin deficiencies may still be present.  The RDA of certain vitamins are set too low.  The level of certain vitamins in the blood isn't an accurate measure of the vitamins inside the tissues where they're  used.  Taking a B-Complex vitamin may help.  The B vitamins are water soluble and any excess will be excreted in urine.  The B vitamins all work better together.  

When you begin a low carb or gluten free diet, you are no longer getting the vitamins that gluten containing flour is required to be enriched with.  Adding a B-Complex vitamin will help ensure you get those missing vitamins while your intestines heal.  

I had a horrible time getting doctors to believe me, so I know how you feel.  I cut out gluten and dairy and nightshades.  I followed the AutoImmune Paleo Protocol and a low histamine diet.  And I began to feel better over the following months.  

http://www.thepatientceliac.com/tag/histamine-intolerance-and-celiac-disease/

Hope this helps!

Archived