This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Lentils In Madison, Wi?

Jess

Jess Apprentice

Hi.

After looking at all sorts of lentils, organic and non-organic, I've pretty much given up on finding gluten-free lentils. With some brands, it is so obvious, that I was literally able to spot whole grains of wheat. I read that lentils are pretty much bound to always be cross-contaminated, since they are grown together with wheat. Is that true? Are there any non-cross-contaminated, officially safe lentils? Canned once would be okay as well, as long as they don't have too many other ingredients added (tomato paste, broth etc.). I live in Madison, WI, does anyone know any sources for my city?

Thank you so much in advance.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I found a post here that recommends Rancho Gordo. They are supposed to grow only beans. I haven't tried them yet.

Jess Apprentice

I found a post here that recommends Rancho Gordo. They are supposed to grow only beans. I haven't tried them yet.

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any lentils on their website. It would also be more convenient, if I could get them at a physical store, although chances for that being the case seem pretty low.

Still, thanks a lot.

Gemini Experienced

Hi.

After looking at all sorts of lentils, organic and non-organic, I've pretty much given up on finding gluten-free lentils. With some brands, it is so obvious, that I was literally able to spot whole grains of wheat. I read that lentils are pretty much bound to always be cross-contaminated, since they are grown together with wheat. Is that true? Are there any non-cross-contaminated, officially safe lentils? Canned once would be okay as well, as long as they don't have too many other ingredients added (tomato paste, broth etc.). I live in Madison, WI, does anyone know any sources for my city?

I am not sure where you have gotten your information but lentils, on their own, are gluten free and there has never been any issue with cross contamination.

I include lentils quite often in my diet and never, ever have had any troubles with them. I am as sensitive a Celiac as they come and if there were a problem with lentils, I would be hospitalized by now. Oats have a problem with CC but not lentils.

Jess Apprentice

I am not sure where you have gotten your information but lentils, on their own, are gluten free and there has never been any issue with cross contamination.

I include lentils quite often in my diet and never, ever have had any troubles with them. I am as sensitive a Celiac as they come and if there were a problem with lentils, I would be hospitalized by now. Oats have a problem with CC but not lentils.

Maybe I just picked the wrong brands. As I already wrote, all the packages that I looked at clearly stated that there was a chance of cross-contamination and the one package that I bought, just to "give it a try" clearly had wheat kernels in it. Until I actually saw with my very own eyes how obvious the contamination was, at least with that one brand, I was hoping that cross-contamination of lentils was only an issue in Germany.

Here are two links that deal with the same issue:

Open Original Shared Link

Since your lentils seem to be safe, what brands do you buy?

Gemini Experienced

Maybe I just picked the wrong brands. As I already wrote, all the packages that I looked at clearly stated that there was a chance of cross-contamination and the one package that I bought, just to "give it a try" clearly had wheat kernels in it. Until I actually saw with my very own eyes how obvious the contamination was, at least with that one brand, I was hoping that cross-contamination of lentils was only an issue in Germany.

Here are two links that deal with the same issue:

Open Original Shared Link

Since your lentils seem to be safe, what brands do you buy?

The statement regarding CC is a liability exercise only. Unless a manufacturer has a dedicated facility, there will always be the statement to cover their butts but it doesn't mean there is CC with that particular product.

I don't look at brand names but shop at Whole Foods market. I have bought canned lentils and the dried versions for making soup and never had a problem with CC. Lentils are a natural food and the odds of there being a problem for Celiacs is so low, I don't worry about it. Unless a producer of lentils knows for sure there may be CC from other source or food they produce and sell, and clearly states this on their package, lentils should be safe. I rinse and inspect any dried lentils I buy and use and, so far, no problems with anything weird like that. Is there a Whole Foods near to you? I've had great luck with all their food products relating to gluten-free.

sunnybabi1986 Contributor

Since Wal-Mart recently put "May contain traces of wheat" on their lentils, I started buying the store brand of lentils at my local grocery stores. I'm not sure what you have in Wisconsin, but we have several stores that carry Best Choice lentils, which are gluten free according to Open Original Shared Link.

If your stores carry another generic brand, just contact the manufacturer.

Good luck!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I have also found what looked like wheat in lentils and I have been glutened by lentils. I still like them though, so now I sort and wash them before eating.

Jess Apprentice

Hi.

Thank you all for your responses. The next Whole Foods market is a bit further away, but if I ever happen to be in the same part of town, I will definitely have a look at their lentils. I'll also see if I can find the Best Choice lentils.

• 1 year later...
MrsVJW Newbie

I know down in not-so-far-away Chicago, one of the problems is that a lot of the ethnic food companies sell dried lentils - all processed in the same facilities as wheat flour and whole wheat grains - and they are so cheap, the stores don't really carry other, more expesive brands.

Archived