KarenFe

Using Better Batter

Rate this topic

I have spent a year now playing with different flour combinations and am ready to simplify. We have gone through a few bags of Better Batter in the last year and I just ordered several more bags. The other day I made a gluten-filled banana bread recipe and this evening I made the same recipe with the BB flour. Taste wise it was just fine, but I would like to perfect the texture. Tonight's gluten-free banana bread was a bit mushier than the gluten version. What can I do to help the gluten-free version not be quite so mushy? Add more flour? More eggs? Less eggs? Less yogurt? Less liquid? I'd really like to make BB work for most of my cooking and baking needs.

Thanks!

Karen

Perhaps you could locate several gluten-free banana bread recipes and compare the ingredients to the recipe you are using. Mushy sounds like too much liquid, or perhaps the bread was not completely cooked. I'd try another recipe, using the flours that are recommended for this type of bread.

I have had the exact same problem with banana bread. I'm not sure what the answer is, though. Maybe less banana actually...

Using smaller pans might help too. Try the same recipe with a muffin pan and see if the results are the same. I use the smaller size bread pans, 5 1/2 x 3, for my sweet breads.

Using smaller pans might help too. Try the same recipe with a muffin pan and see if the results are the same. I use the smaller size bread pans, 5 1/2 x 3, for my sweet breads.

Good idea Purple. Another way to experiment is to just make one muffin, and put the rest of the batter in a smaller pan as you suggested, then compare the two for texture. Of course, the muffin would bake in a shorter period of time than the bread.

I've baked with it alot (I had a 25# bag). It was good for most everything except pancakes. Couldn't get a pancake to turn out to save my soul. Cakes and stuff like banana bread turned out GREAT! Very light and tasted good. I now use my own blend, but wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. I did notice with cookies that I had to add some unflavored geletin or an extra egg otherwise the cookies would crumble.