• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

do a google search for burpdog biscuits. She makes gluten-free dog treats that are supposed to be really good. I have never gotten any but they are popular around here. We feed our dog Nurto it was the only food that didn't make her sick. I think it has wheat in it but not much and I have never had a reaction to it before.

A cheap way is make your own food. Buy some chicken pieces and put them in a crock pot for 24 hours with some water. They will cook and the bones will become mushy. Just mash it with a fork and make sure you have all the bones broken up so your dog doesn't choke. Then had some veggis like a bag of mix veggies and some rice. We put some in the fridge and some in the freezer. If you put them in muffin trays then you have little frozen servings that works great. This really is cheaper than buying food and dogs love it. Of course JRT are little dogs I am guessing they don't eat as much as my greyhound :rolleyes:

I may try switching my cat food, after this thread. I have been using Science Diet Light/Hairball as my one cat, who is most of the time a constant barfer, doesn't barf hardly at all on this one. She does on Iams, she does on Science Diet sensitive stomach, and when I tried making food for her, using recipes I found on the web - using mackerel, chicken liver, etc, she got so sick she couldn't eat at all and couldn't walk, either.

I actually wondered if it was a gluten thing recently but can't see any gluten in the Science Diet formula or the Iams.

The clouds from the food and the dust that gathers is what worries me, plus cuddling with my cats after they eat - I can smell the food and always worry about getting it on me so that is my concern.

I'm afraid to admit my dogs just get Pedigree! I'll look into something new, though...

Thanks for the info.

Stephanie

I have a dog and a cat and the cat's wet food is loaded with gluten. Her dry food isn't though. So, what I do is I have a purple sponge that is designated for cleaning their bowls and a section of the counter which is designated for fixing their food. I always wash my hands after feeding them and after giving them treats. I'm lucky that my dog is not a licker, but I still have a bowl that I wash his face in after he eats (he has a beard, he's a schnauzer), so no glutenous doggie food remains on him.

You will love having a dog! I couldn't live without one, and yes my cat is wonderful too. :D

Hi,

I switched dog foods to the brand Sensible Choice Adult Chicken formula. I believe that their ingredients did not contain wheat. I wanted a better food for my dog but I also was tired of wearing gloves when scooping out the food and I did not want any gluten in my kitchen.

I had to switch the doggie treats for the same reason. I used cheese and liver treats but they became way to expensive. So the cream cheese was the best solution, and he loved it!

I did panic when I took him to PetsMart and the sales clerk slipped him a cookie. Because I was so sure that it had wheat in it. Luckily, he wouldn't eat it but for those of you with lickers...I understand your concern.

I am happy to hear you will not be eating the dogfood. I did not know what you were talking about either! Most warehouse clubs like BJ's have really inexpensive disposable gloves that can be worn when scooping you dog's food into his bowl. I always wash my hands after putting out the dogfood because it skeeves me not to, but you never know when an emergency might arise between the dogdish and the sink. Some of the brands listed are very expensive so I hope you are able to find something your dog likes that is not too bad. If you continue giving him gluten-free food, I do hope he likes it because then you may have to start searching again.

I did want to bring up that if you brush your dog's teeth and tongue you will not have to worry about gluten from him. Yes, some people do brush their dog's teeth and tongues! There are special brushes and toothpastes, but some people use human paste too.

I had dogs when I was younger, but didn't know about celiac disease then. One thing I realized, though, is that with small dogs, if money isn't the biggest of issues, you may be able to feed them "real" food instead of store bought dog food. I'm not how the nutrition requirements vary from humans to dogs, but a vet might be able to help you on that path. My poodles, when I was young, probably had half of their diet as food that we would eat (but the stuff that was appropriate for them - baked chicken or grilled beef, vegetables (one of them loved broccoli?!), a bit of fruit (the reason one of them was named Kiwi), some rice or corn and the like). (Ok, ok, we did feed them a bit of chocolate chip cookies when they were out of the oven - well, my dad did. I know that's a big no-no.)

Those other foods do seem more expensive on the surface, but gluten aside they are SO much better for your dog. You feed a lot less too. If I was giving my dogs something crappy like Iams I would be feeding them each 1/3 more food per day, and if I was giving them something gawdawful like Beneful I would be feeding them twice what I do and their health would suffer. It's worth every penny to me to see my dogs in top condition.