farmwife67

New Diagnosed Wheat Farmer?

Rate this topic

I'm wondering will the dust when harvesting wheat be a problem?

Hi. That's a hard call to make since everyone varies with his/her level of gluten sensitivity. Some people can't use shampoo with gluten in it; some people have a severe reaction if they happen to have open loaves of wheat bread in the kitchen; some people can't use cosmetics with added gluten. But, with your situation, it might be a good idea to wear a surgical mask if you are going to be directly involved with harvesting the wheat, and cotton gloves on your hands; esp. to remind you not to touch your hands to your face (to prevent accidental ingestion). I wouldn't want to chance it esp. since your wheat exposure is going to be high during the harvest.

I have heard stories of other people who, simply by living in an area that does a lot of wheat farming have to seal up their house and stay inside during harvest. Many just pack up and leave town during that time.

Hi. That's a hard call to make since everyone varies with his/her level of gluten sensitivity. Some people can't use shampoo with gluten in it; some people have a severe reaction if they happen to have open loaves of wheat bread in the kitchen; some people can't use cosmetics with added gluten. But, with your situation, it might be a good idea to wear a surgical mask if you are going to be directly involved with harvesting the wheat, and cotton gloves on your hands; esp. to remind you not to touch your hands to your face (to prevent accidental ingestion). I wouldn't want to chance it esp. since your wheat exposure is going to be high during the harvest.

The examples you state would not cause a Celiac reaction. You would have to ingest your shampoo into your gut, you cannot be glutened by being in the same room as bread and cosmetics are the same as shampoo....you have to eat them to cause a reaction.

You may have an allergic reaction, which is totally different than a Celiac one.

However, if someone is inhaling and swallowing wheat dust during a harvest, that definitely is a problem. A mask is a must and I would wash my hair carefully after the days work to eliminate dust in the hair....which could be ingested. Getting wheat dust on your clothes could also be a potential issue because some could make it's way into your mouth. I know a Celiac who had to retire from his job as head baker because of all the flour dust floating around in the air. His numbers stayed high and didn't come down until he removed himself from the job. It can be problematic at times but you have to do what you have to do.

The examples you state would not cause a Celiac reaction. You would have to ingest your shampoo into your gut, you cannot be glutened by being in the same room as bread and cosmetics are the same as shampoo....you have to eat them to cause a reaction.

You may have an allergic reaction, which is totally different than a Celiac one.

However, if someone is inhaling and swallowing wheat dust during a harvest, that definitely is a problem. A mask is a must and I would wash my hair carefully after the days work to eliminate dust in the hair....which could be ingested. Getting wheat dust on your clothes could also be a potential issue because some could make it's way into your mouth. I know a Celiac who had to retire from his job as head baker because of all the flour dust floating around in the air. His numbers stayed high and didn't come down until he removed himself from the job. It can be problematic at times but you have to do what you have to do.

Y'know, the statement that shampoo would not cause glutening prompts me to ask everyone a question: Hasn't anyone ever gotten their shampoo in their mouth? Am I the only one who rinses their hair with their mouth open? Otherwise the water runs in my nose, not good. Am I strange?

Y'know, the statement that shampoo would not cause glutening prompts me to ask everyone a question: Hasn't anyone ever gotten their shampoo in their mouth? Am I the only one who rinses their hair with their mouth open? Otherwise the water runs in my nose, not good. Am I strange?

I do normally keep my mouth shut when shampooing my hair but have already gotten water in my mouth so have probably gotten shampoo in my mouth at one time or another. Hey, I already scraped my nose with a razor while shaving my legs because my nose itched. With me, anything is possible.

Hey, I already scraped my nose with a razor while shaving my legs because my nose itched. With me, anything is possible.

Haha! When I read this I pictured myself doing it. I could see that happening to anyone!

No, you are not strange. This is an issue that depends on your personal habits. If you rinse with your mouth open or let the soapy water run down the front of your face, you would have to use gluten-free shampoo/products. I tilt my head back and never let the water with soap run down my face. As long as you don't eat it, it's not a problem.

Thank you for asking this question. I logged to check the exact same thing. My Dad will be harvesting wheat within the week and I usually help with the baling of the straw. Not that I am looking for a reason to get out of helping, but I also know the consequences of ingesting wheat of any kind. I think I will sit out this year's harvest and baling.

No your not, and you could also be glutened by getting it in your nose. You nose drains into your esophagus for one thing for another gluten can cross into your system through the mucous membranes.

Maybe you could get into growing gluten free grains free from cross contamination. There is a real need. Do you have your own harvesting equipment?

Wow, what a cruel irony. I personally wouldn't risk it, but if it is your lifestyle and career you could try it for a while using the surgical mask, washing really well, etc. But if you're anything like the farmers I know that won't be an option :D At the ranch my boss is allergic to sawdust and is supposed to wear a mask when doing stalls or even just being in the barn..good luck with that ever happening haha

I don't think you're strange. I have been in so much pain everyday during the past 8 months trying to find out what's wrong with me. At times the pain was so extreme, I went to the ER. I just found out I have Celiac and to me it is worth changing everything to stop the pain.

Gemini,

I know it's an ongoing debate regarding external products that contain gluten, but I know from PERSONAL experience that I break out in DH big time whenever I use a shampoo or makeup that contains gluten. I don't know of a single study on this subject, so until there has been at least one study with confirmed data, it cannot be stated definitively whether or not topical gluten causes a problem for a person with celiac or DH. Until then, we are only discussing opinions and not science.

Gemini,

I know it's an ongoing debate regarding external products that contain gluten, but I know from PERSONAL experience that I break out in DH big time whenever I use a shampoo or makeup that contains gluten. I don't know of a single study on this subject, so until there has been at least one study with confirmed data, it cannot be stated definitively whether or not topical gluten causes a problem for a person with celiac or DH. Until then, we are only discussing opinions and not science.

I agree completely. The issue, I think, stems from folks who consider gluten to be a mostly GI problem and neglect the fact that it is a systemic autoimmune issue. Hence the 'if you don't eat it it will not cause a reaction' mindset. Gluten does not pass through INTACT skin but it can enter the system through small breaks in the skin and can also enter into the bloodstream through any mucous membrane. For females in particular this can be a real issue with soaps and stuff because we have more mucous membranes in well 'personal' areas and also with makeup the eyes and nose can be entry points. Some do not react as strongly as others and some of us are more sensitive to small amounts. My preference is 'when in doubt, leave it out' and IMHO this is particularly important for those who are newly diagnosed and don't yet know their own sensitivity level.