tiredofbeingsickandtired

Lord's Supper-Communion- Questions

Rate this topic

This will be my first Lord's Supper (Baptist) since being diagnosed. I've also been diagnosed with an allergy to milk and sulfites (sulfites are kind of scary since they affect my breathing so drastically). I keep benadryl with me in case I come into contact with sulfites.

A friend suggested taking benadryl 20 mins before drinking the grape juice and seeing if that will help lessen my reaction. Has anyone else dealt with this? then that leaves the bread, I know there are some people that see it as such a tiny piece that there should be no way I could get that sick. I guess I just don't want to risk getting sick at all.

Why would you risk it at all? Especially when you're talking about reactions that affect your breathing and having to carry Benedryl?? I don't know... but I'm thinking your god would understand your very SERIOUS issues and not expect you to put yourself in danger!!

Why would you risk it at all? Especially when you're talking about reactions that affect your breathing and having to carry Benedryl?? I don't know... but I'm thinking your god would understand your very SERIOUS issues and not expect you to put yourself in danger!!

I agree. Have you talked to your Pastor to see if perhaps you can bring in a bit of gluten free bread for them to bless and perhaps even a small glass of a juice that you can safely drink? I know the Catholic religion requires there to be wheat in the host but I don't know if other faiths are the same. If you can't arrange for safe alternatives I think God will understand.

I made an arrangement with my church that I would bake the bread(gluten-free) and provide it for everyone. One loaf gets cut into fairly small pieces so is sufficient for everyone. We have used the Glutino crackers too and they get broken up into bits, so again, one package is enough for our church. I also initially chose not to drink grape juice due to diabetes and approached the pastor with that. He agreed to provide both juice and wine-wine in the center of the serving plate and juice cups filling the outer portions of the plate. The logistics, but not the reasons, were explained to the congregation before serving. Prior to my dx with diabetes, I just skipped the bread and had the juice. I know God understands, after all he's the one who's led me on the path to health that I'm on today, even though the doctors haven't quite caught up. ;) I mean that quite seriously.

I don't normally go to church but daughter wanted to go so I took her. As luck would have it, they were doing communion. As a diabetic, I shouldn't have juice. Gluten is not an issue for me but I do have additional allergies so didn't know if the bread would be safe. What I did was take the tiniest sip of the juice, then pretended to eat the bread but just wadded it up in my fingers and threw it away later.

I am not an overly religous person so to do that didn't really bother me at all. If I were to go to church on a regular basis, I would talk to the minister and see if I could get some sort of substitute that would work for me. Perhaps if you can't have juice, then colored water? And gluten free bread or cracker. The church I used to go to used broken Saltines most of the time, saving real bread for only special occasions.

I bring my own bread and skip the juice because we do communion by dipping, so it's all contaminated. Maundy Thursday I forgot my bread (oops!), but the juice was in separate cups, so at least I got that. I figure if I've got one or the other, I'm good. :)

The ritual of communion is symbolic. If you feel you need to participate in the ritual to feel spiritually whole, then I suggest you talk to your pastor about alternatives. Otherwise, know in your heart and deep meditation during the communion that you to are participating, that you are accepting the bread and the blood, visualize yourself taking part, pray deeply and lovingly throughout the process as it is intended. God already knows and understands, now it's for you to be open to it.

The ritual of communion is symbolic. If you feel you need to participate in the ritual to feel spiritually whole, then I suggest you talk to your pastor about alternatives. Otherwise, know in your heart and deep meditation during the communion that you to are participating, that you are accepting the bread and the blood, visualize yourself taking part, pray deeply and lovingly throughout the process as it is intended. God already knows and understands, now it's for you to be open to it.

I was so busy working that I didn't get to buy or make anything to take with me. I decided to take someone else's place in the nursery so he would be able to participate with his family. It turned out to be an amazing blessing for me, the time with the kids was so sweet...I know God knows my heart so there is peace about it all now.

I take my own little piece of gluten-free bread when we're having the Lord's Supper (also Baptist). When I go forward to take the bread and juice, I open my hand so the pastor sees the bread. It always brings a smile and no explanation seems necessary. The juice is served in tiny disposable cups so that's not a problem.

This will be my first Lord's Supper (Baptist) since being diagnosed. I've also been diagnosed with an allergy to milk and sulfites (sulfites are kind of scary since they affect my breathing so drastically). I keep benadryl with me in case I come into contact with sulfites.

A friend suggested taking benadryl 20 mins before drinking the grape juice and seeing if that will help lessen my reaction. Has anyone else dealt with this? then that leaves the bread, I know there are some people that see it as such a tiny piece that there should be no way I could get that sick. I guess I just don't want to risk getting sick at all.

WE asked our pastor if we could bring in gluten-free communion wafers and he was fine with that. Is there a grape juice you can drink if so maybe ask i you can bring in both items before communion.