farmwife67

Feel Like I Could Jump Out Of My Skin And Bite Everyone's Head Off

Rate this topic

I've been eating gluten-free for about a month and the last week, I feel like I could jump out of my skin. I am mad at everyone and just want to be left alone. Has this happened to anyone else after eating gluten-free. The only time I was ever like this before was a day or two before my period. What's happening????

It's called gluten withdrawal. I was exactly like that after I quit smoking :lol:

It's called gluten withdrawal. I was exactly like that after I quit smoking :lol:

How long does it last?

I've been eating gluten-free for about a month and the last week, I feel like I could jump out of my skin. I am mad at everyone and just want to be left alone. Has this happened to anyone else after eating gluten-free. The only time I was ever like this before was a day or two before my period. What's happening????

Yes, I did. I didn't make the connection till earlier this year, although that was 3 years ago. Although my physical symptoms went away instantly (which was joyous)...within 3 months I hit a low as far as high, high anxiety, depression, a lot of confusion/fog...etc. Was it gluten-withdrawal? I don't know. There were other contributing factors, but the extent of it makes me wonder if it was gluten-withdrawal.

Depending on how severe your body's reactions to gluten were there could have been hormonal imbalances already in play. As your body continues to go through detox and heal itself up all of those off-kilter systems will be slowly correcting themselves and can cause some changes in behavior as your body attempts to return to baseline.

Just for another idea aside from gluten withdrawal?

It could be another food that you're eating more of. I know when my daughter went off gluten, we increased some foods that she hadn't eaten as much of before: corn, rice, etc.... After the first month, she was feeling worse, especially mood-wise.

What we've discovered is that if she gets more of certain foods, her mood nosedives. If she limits her intake or eliminates the foods, her mood improves significantly. Like 'satan possessed child' vs. 'normal, healthy child.'

Since then, I discovered the same thing happens to me with corn. I just wake up in the foulest mood imaginable, and EVERYONE makes me want to just snap. After some research, I came across the fact that if anything is interfering with your digestion, it can interfere with your ability to absorb tryptophan, which means a day or two later, you don't have as much seratonin...which helps you regulate your moods.

So if there are any foods that you are intolerant too, or mildly allergic to, and you are eating them more now on a gluten free diet, that might be affecting you. Not necessarily what your issue is, but it's another option to think about. :-)

I turn into what my sweetie calles a snarly witch bi*ch when I get the least amount of soy. There are times I want to tear my clothes off because my skin is driving me crazy and I don't even like being me those times.