Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

farmwife67

Feel Like I Could Jump Out Of My Skin And Bite Everyone's Head Off

I've been eating gluten-free for about a month and the last week, I feel like I could jump out of my skin. I am mad at everyone and just want to be left alone. Has this happened to anyone else after eating gluten-free. The only time I was ever like this before was a day or two before my period. What's happening????

Lori

Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA: 33 Units (active dietary gluten sensitivity)

Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA: 11 Units (auto immune reaction to the human enzyme tissue transglutaminase secondary to dietary gluten sensitivity)

Serologic Equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1 (subtype 2,5)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It's called gluten withdrawal. I was exactly like that after I quit smoking :lol:

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009

(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009

Legume free March 2010

Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

It's called gluten withdrawal. I was exactly like that after I quit smoking :lol:

How long does it last?

Lori

Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA: 33 Units (active dietary gluten sensitivity)

Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA: 11 Units (auto immune reaction to the human enzyme tissue transglutaminase secondary to dietary gluten sensitivity)

Serologic Equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1 (subtype 2,5)

I've been eating gluten-free for about a month and the last week, I feel like I could jump out of my skin. I am mad at everyone and just want to be left alone. Has this happened to anyone else after eating gluten-free. The only time I was ever like this before was a day or two before my period. What's happening????

Yes, I did. I didn't make the connection till earlier this year, although that was 3 years ago. Although my physical symptoms went away instantly (which was joyous)...within 3 months I hit a low as far as high, high anxiety, depression, a lot of confusion/fog...etc. Was it gluten-withdrawal? I don't know. There were other contributing factors, but the extent of it makes me wonder if it was gluten-withdrawal.

Gluten-free since January, 2007

Depending on how severe your body's reactions to gluten were there could have been hormonal imbalances already in play. As your body continues to go through detox and heal itself up all of those off-kilter systems will be slowly correcting themselves and can cause some changes in behavior as your body attempts to return to baseline.

Receiving a qualified diagnosis of Irritable Bowel Syndrome is as useful as a Psychiatrist giving you a diagnosis of "Doesn't Think Right".

Just for another idea aside from gluten withdrawal?

It could be another food that you're eating more of. I know when my daughter went off gluten, we increased some foods that she hadn't eaten as much of before: corn, rice, etc.... After the first month, she was feeling worse, especially mood-wise.

What we've discovered is that if she gets more of certain foods, her mood nosedives. If she limits her intake or eliminates the foods, her mood improves significantly. Like 'satan possessed child' vs. 'normal, healthy child.'

Since then, I discovered the same thing happens to me with corn. I just wake up in the foulest mood imaginable, and EVERYONE makes me want to just snap. After some research, I came across the fact that if anything is interfering with your digestion, it can interfere with your ability to absorb tryptophan, which means a day or two later, you don't have as much seratonin...which helps you regulate your moods.

So if there are any foods that you are intolerant too, or mildly allergic to, and you are eating them more now on a gluten free diet, that might be affecting you. Not necessarily what your issue is, but it's another option to think about. :-)

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

I turn into what my sweetie calles a snarly witch bi*ch when I get the least amount of soy. There are times I want to tear my clothes off because my skin is driving me crazy and I don't even like being me those times.

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free