homefront

Hidden Gluten Or Other Allergy?

Rate this topic

Hi, I am a mom of a 10-year-old with celiac. She was diagnosed not quite a year ago. She has done extremely well on the gluten-free diet until lately. Her dad and I are divorced, so I can't watch everything that goes into her mouth. But lately, she started having stomach-aches off and on again. We went back through EVERYTHING and found some hidden sources of gluten and eliminated them. But last night, her dad gave her a homemade gluten-free chocolate cake. She got sick. He sent me the list of ingredients below. Could there be hidden gluten or should we be looking for another allergy? Any ideas? We could really use the help!

Bob Mills gluten-free flour

sugar

ground cinnamon

vanilla

2 eggs

buttermilk

powdered sugar

cocoa

baking soda

butter

water

milk

Hi, I am a mom of a 10-year-old with celiac. She was diagnosed not quite a year ago. She has done extremely well on the gluten-free diet until lately. Her dad and I are divorced, so I can't watch everything that goes into her mouth. But lately, she started having stomach-aches off and on again. We went back through EVERYTHING and found some hidden sources of gluten and eliminated them. But last night, her dad gave her a homemade gluten-free chocolate cake. She got sick. He sent me the list of ingredients below. Could there be hidden gluten or should we be looking for another allergy? Any ideas? We could really use the help!

Bob Mills gluten-free flour

sugar

ground cinnamon

vanilla

2 eggs

buttermilk

powdered sugar

cocoa

baking soda

butter

water

milk

I used to be an avid baker and double dipped my measuring spoons, other utensils and measuring cups in multiple dry ingredients before washing them so my baking spices-nutmeg, cinnamon etc., and my powdered sugar, baking soda etc. everything I used for baking was potentially contaminated so I started over with fresh. Also, handheld mixers often have vents in them that visibly collect flour and can't be washed out. Best not to use for gluten-free. Stand mixers can usually be washed down well. Baking pans are another possible source of CC. Those pans that had seems in them also had gluten residue-visible, that couldn't be removed. I gave those away and any non-stick pans as well. The safest way would be for him to use disposable pans or ones just for her baked goods. Also, I haven't seen it in a long time but I remember seeing some buttermilk a long time back that had wheat listed on the label. I still use it regularly and the brands I've been picking up have been OK but it doesn't hurt to check the label.

Thank you! Those are great suggestions. I know he cooks/bakes a lot and probably does cross contaminate. I'll pass it along!

In addition to CC in the kitchen, there's another possibility: Bob's Red Mill itself. I know that I react terribly to Bob's Red Mill--as do others on the board. The brand has CC issues, and it's one reason why I avoid it when I can.

I also have problems with Bob's. I think that in my case it is because I am sensitive to avenin in oats and Bob's processes their gluten free oats in their gluten free facility.

I also had to throw out all my baking supplies because of double dipping. It took me a few times of getting sick to figure that out.

I hope she feels better soon.

I also have problems with Bob's. I think that in my case it is because I am sensitive to avenin in oats and Bob's processes their gluten free oats in their gluten free facility.

I also had to throw out all my baking supplies because of double dipping. It took me a few times of getting sick to figure that out.

I hope she feels better soon.

I'll have to look into this too. I've been using alot of Bob's stuff so maybe it is contributing to the problem since I'm sensitive to gluten free oats too.