This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Appetite Changes

sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

I think my appetite is adjusting to be more normal and I hope it stays this way. I'm one of the celiacs who gained weight not lost from it. I was told that celiac will make your appetite to high and make you overeat to compensate for lack of nutrition. I have been so hungry for years. I would eat 3 meals, 2 snacks and still be so hungry two hours after dinner I had to eat or I couldn't sleep.

Now my appetite is so small. I eat half of what I used to have at meals and I'm full. I will eat an orange and a handful of nuts, maybe some gluten free crackers at lunch and then I'm okay for a few hours.

I really hope this sticks because I have a lot of weight to lose and no matter what I did, personal trainers, diets, etc. etc. I couldn't lose for the past few years. The doc said that all this time it was untreated celiac.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KateGrace Newbie

Hey! That's really good news. I read somewhere--maybe? somewhere?--that when you first go gluten-free, your blood sugar drops due to lack of carbs. So then you'll crave lots of other carb sources (i.e. cookies! chocolate! sweets!), and probably overeat on those. Does that ring true?

I've learned from this board to stay away from all those tempting gluten-free foods, at least as a beginner. So whenever I have a sweet tooth, I have no choice but to eat fruit. No weight gain so far, although I'm always standing in the baking aisle, staring at Pamela's chocolate brownie mix, drooling...

Anyway, maybe your body has adjusted to this diet, and realized that you have a new source of carbs, and thus no need to go into sugar-craving mode...just a theory? I probably have no idea what I'm talking about.

:)

DonaldandAlanda Evans Apprentice

I never liked bananas.......now that i'm gluten free I can't stop eating them......like 5-6 a day, maybe my body is telling me I need more potassium.

bittykitty Rookie

I never liked bananas.......now that i'm gluten free I can't stop eating them......like 5-6 a day, maybe my body is telling me I need more potassium.

I gained a ton of weight in the year before I stopped eating gluten,lost it all plus some in the year after.Seems like all I want is fruits,veggies, and seafood these these days..lots of them.

lynnelise Apprentice

I notice that I eat a lot less. When I track my calories I seem to hover around 1400-1500 when before I often went over 2000. Provided I get enough protein I'm not nearly as hungry either. I'm often able to skip snacks where as before I was counting down the minutes to break time!

Hey! That's really good news. I read somewhere--maybe? somewhere?--that when you first go gluten-free, your blood sugar drops due to lack of carbs. So then you'll crave lots of other carb sources (i.e. cookies! chocolate! sweets!), and probably overeat on those. Does that ring true?

I've learned from this board to stay away from all those tempting gluten-free foods, at least as a beginner. So whenever I have a sweet tooth, I have no choice but to eat fruit. No weight gain so far, although I'm always standing in the baking aisle, staring at Pamela's chocolate brownie mix, drooling...

Anyway, maybe your body has adjusted to this diet, and realized that you have a new source of carbs, and thus no need to go into sugar-craving mode...just a theory? I probably have no idea what I'm talking about.

:)

I'm still pretty high carb on the gluten free diet. I eat rice pasta, rice, corn tortillas, corn chips. I finally found a gluten free bread I can tolerate. I also make pancakes and keep them in the fridge to microwave for the week. Plus all the carbs in fruits and veggies. I would say my carb intake is the same as it was before.

For a sweet tooth I make Betty Crocker gluten free chocolate chip cookies or I eat some chocolate. The Betty Crocker has no tapioca, something I can't tolerate right now.

I'm just not so hungry all the time. I have been hungry for years no matter what I ate. I would do weight watchers and my points would be all gone and I was starving. My body couldn't get enough food to make up for the nutritional deficiencies I guess.

I would try not to be low carb if you are healing. You don't want to go into ketosis, which is hard on the kidneys and liver. That's the last thing you need. Find carbs that you can eat so your diet is balanced.

I notice that I eat a lot less. When I track my calories I seem to hover around 1400-1500 when before I often went over 2000. Provided I get enough protein I'm not nearly as hungry either. I'm often able to skip snacks where as before I was counting down the minutes to break time!

yeah, I was tracking my calories on a website and eating like 2200 a day and I was still hungry! I know I'm nowhere near that now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Yoshi Newbie

I used to think it was sugar that triggered my appetite. If I made a pan of brownies, I could eat just about the whole pan without even batting an eye. Once I started on them, I couldn't stop. Now, I know it was the gluten. Just like you, my appetite has changed since going gluten-free. I'm satisfied with smaller amounts of food. I can make gluten-free brownies and only eat one and be satisfied. I'm also a diabetic. It used to be such a struggle to eat low carb and still be hungry or unsatisfied and have my blood sugar still be hard to control. I don't count carbs anymore. I eat rice, corn tortillas, corn chips, tortilla chips and potatoes. I make gluten-free bread in my breadmaker, though it's one of the things I eat sparingly. Not only has my blood sugar started to stablize, I've started losing weight -- slowly, but still losing.

KateGrace Newbie
The Betty Crocker has no tapioca, something I can't tolerate right now.

Same here, no tapioca for me. I'll try Betty Crocker. I actually made Pamela's brownies today, but wasn't too crazy about them...like Yoshi said, I think it's because I'm used to eating the whole pan!!!

I've heard before that people often crave the foods that they're allergic to.

In fact, my favorite change since going gluten-free, psychologically speaking, is my lack of cravings. I used to fight them, hate them, etc. Now they're just gone.

MagpieWrites Rookie

If it helps, you're not the only one who has found this out. When I first went gluten free, people kept warning me that I was going to gain a lot of weight until I figured it out (most put it like the "freshman 15) and got healthy enough to start exercising routinely again. (Between stomach issues and fibro, I had hit a bad patch and packed on some weight, mainly because I was either in bed or the bathroom - but still hungry ALL THE TIME!)

I was diagnosed in June.

I'm 65-70 pounds lighter. And while some of that was another illness (Stay away from brown recluse spiders!), and some is I've started running... most of it goes into the range of "Hey - I'm eating REAL food!" I'm not really dieting at all - but no more processed food, no HFCS, and if I want crap (cookies, candy, etc) well, knowing I'm going to be in the kitchen for 3 hours cranking it out tends to slow down the urges. Still there - but I don't listen as often.

My mom giggles herself sick when she comes to visit. After years of despairing my tastes would ever grow up - I'm chomping on broccoli like it's candy bars. Oranges? My new favorite food. And I really DO have to think it's going gluten free, because it isn't just me. My husband doesn't have celiac or any intolerances - but he went gluten-free at home with me. He still eats what he wants if he goes to a restaurant, or grabs a sandwich if I don't pack his lunch... but he has lost 30+ with gluten-free food at home being the only change. (And trust me - we're eating. Just, well. Good for us now.)

The Glutenator Contributor

I can completely agree with what you are experiencing. Before I went gluten-free I was absolutely always hungry and was eating all of the time. After the initial withdrawal period going gluten-free, my appetite was hugely reduced. I still try to eat 3 meals and 2 snacks a day, but have to remind myself to do it often and feel like I am eating when not really hungry. It is a completely new sensation to be satisfied after a meal and not dying for a snack an hour later. As for treats, I am fairly new to being gluten-free (diagnosed with celiac 2 months ago) and have found that incorporating some has made the transition easier. Chocolate is a good idea, and I am a huge fan of Glutenfreeda's chocolate chip cookies, which come as dough pucks, and Kinnikinnick donuts warmed up. Both of these make an excellent dessert with some ice cream. I haven't really reduced my carbs either and tried to keep my diet balanced, but with gluten-free substitutions for what I was eating before. Hope this helps!

juppygirl Newbie

I am fed up of being constantly hungry.... I have piled weight on .. have decided to monitor my food again, but its scary.. :huh:

Black Sheep Apprentice

yeah, I was tracking my calories on a website and eating like 2200 a day and I was still hungry! I know I'm nowhere near that now.

What site was that, if it's o.k. to ask? The reason I'm asking is, I've noticed a lot of people here were talking about spark people, so I went there and signed up and oh, my...... :blink: I dunno....when you have to watch a video demonstration just to navigate a page.....I'm NOT computer-savvy, and that whole place is confusing. I don't want some website's diet plan, I don't want a "diet" per se, nor do I want a website's exercise plan. I guess you could say I don't want to be told what to do! :lol: I just want to track what I'm eating, and how my body reacts to each thing I eat.

Any recommendations?

serenajane Apprentice

Same here, no tapioca for me. I'll try Betty Crocker. I actually made Pamela's brownies today, but wasn't too crazy about them...like Yoshi said, I think it's because I'm used to eating the whole pan!!!

I've heard before that people often crave the foods that they're allergic to.

In fact, my favorite change since going gluten-free, psychologically speaking, is my lack of cravings. I used to fight them, hate them, etc. Now they're just gone.

hey there just to add the betty crocker brownies are wonderful my husband cooked some for me for our sons birthday party so I could have a sweet treat to. They were no different than regular brownies. I have tried a few others and they were gritty.

try them you'll like them....

sa1937 Community Regular

Speaking of Betty Crocker gluten free brownies...I made some for lunch yesterday and added extra chocolate chips and a small pack of pecan chips and my son and daughter-in-law loved them. They do not have celiac and could not tell they were gluten free.

I haven't tasted them yet as I made them for lunch yesterday after we got home from my having an endo/biopsy. Didn't think I should push it by having chocolate so I'll try them today.

Shannonlass Apprentice

I am fed up of being constantly hungry.... I have piled weight on .. have decided to monitor my food again, but its scary.. :huh:

I have put up weight too. Not a crazy amount but enough to make me a little unhappy.I had giardia, a water parasite which basically gave me diarrhea/loose bowels for 2 months. In those 2 months I lost almost a stone which doesn't sound like much but it looked like a LOT more. When I got my celiac diagnosis I had put back on some of the weight.

I have just started a healthy eating regime since yesterday. I'm tired of eating lots of junk food to compensate for not being able to eat my normal gluten-laden snacks. Hopefully I will go back to my happy weight soon. :)

What site was that, if it's o.k. to ask? The reason I'm asking is, I've noticed a lot of people here were talking about spark people, so I went there and signed up and oh, my...... :blink: I dunno....when you have to watch a video demonstration just to navigate a page.....I'm NOT computer-savvy, and that whole place is confusing. I don't want some website's diet plan, I don't want a "diet" per se, nor do I want a website's exercise plan. I guess you could say I don't want to be told what to do! :lol: I just want to track what I'm eating, and how my body reacts to each thing I eat.

Any recommendations?

I swear by the Bodybugg but it's expensive. YOu wear the thing on your arm and it tracks the actual calories you burn with 95% accuracy, plus cardio and steps taken. YOu put your food in the calorie tracker and it lets you know how many calories in compared with what you burned.

Black Sheep Apprentice

That sounds pretty cool! I think I'll have to hold off on it though, until I can have more tests done and get all that paid for. :P I'm having a problem with the calorie thing, because how do you know how many calories are in a slice of made-from-scratch g.f. bread, or pizza? Hmmm....I think if I ever happen to be in a city where there's a store that sells different brands of g.f. bread, I'll have to compare their ingredients to the breads I bake. Then if I find one that contains similar ingredients, I suppose I could use the info on the wrapper for a guesstimated calorie count. Or, come to think of it, anything you make at home from scratch, not just bread. So, is that what you do? For instance, if you make chicken soup, do you use the same calorie count that you find on the nutrition label of a similar store-bought soup?

Bobbijo6681 Apprentice

That sounds pretty cool! I think I'll have to hold off on it though, until I can have more tests done and get all that paid for. :P I'm having a problem with the calorie thing, because how do you know how many calories are in a slice of made-from-scratch g.f. bread, or pizza? Hmmm....I think if I ever happen to be in a city where there's a store that sells different brands of g.f. bread, I'll have to compare their ingredients to the breads I bake. Then if I find one that contains similar ingredients, I suppose I could use the info on the wrapper for a guesstimated calorie count. Or, come to think of it, anything you make at home from scratch, not just bread. So, is that what you do? For instance, if you make chicken soup, do you use the same calorie count that you find on the nutrition label of a similar store-bought soup?

That might get you close to a count, but I would guess that what you are making at home is probably much lower in calories than something store bought. They add so much to it to preserve the taste and to make it's shelf life longer, and that has to add something....at least that is my 2cents.

ciavyn Contributor

Two additional comments:

1. To count calories, check out livestrong.com MY Daily Plate. I love it for tracking calories and it contains most things that are there. I used it before gluten-free and after.

2. Pamela's brownies suck. I make homemade brownies that are amazing, and way better than anything i ever had gluten free. Highly recommend.

I must have missed the losing weight bus. I still manage to pack in calories even being gluten-free. :sigh: Thankfully I'm active enough that I don't suffer too many consequences, but I think my main issue is sugar. Ah, that the darn stuff didn't exist.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Speaking of Betty Crocker gluten free brownies...I made some for lunch yesterday and added extra chocolate chips and a small pack of pecan chips and my son and daughter-in-law loved them. They do not have celiac and could not tell they were gluten free.

I haven't tasted them yet as I made them for lunch yesterday after we got home from my having an endo/biopsy. Didn't think I should push it by having chocolate so I'll try them today.

You came home from having an endo/biopsy and made BROWNIES?!?!? What, are you superwoman?

And I think the Pamela's suck too, they just squish in your mouth, no chew at all. Pretty much any brownie recipe off this website or allrecipes is better.

sa1937 Community Regular

Hell no! blink.gif I did not come home from the endo and make brownies. I actually made them the evening before. But I really didn't feel that badly afterwards except that I thought I would explode! lol I basically just took it easy that day and had more chicken rice soup and a banana before resuming a normal diet on Sat. I didn't want to push it...

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Forgot to say, I was an underweight, overeating sick girl and once I got better, I ate half the food and weighed forty pounds more. Went from being 105lbs (I'm 5'8") to 145 after getting better. Thank God. Women used to say to me, 'I wish I could be skinny like you and eat whatever I want!' My response was always, Hey, I haven't slept through the night for a YEAR because I have to get up to eat something in the middle of the night, being skinny is NOT worth it. So my appetite went way down after I fully healed, and I gained weight. It's much better this way.

cleanfreak73 Newbie

Yes..the B. Crocker brownies are good, the cake not so great BUT,I was at my daughter's house yesterday, it was her birthday party the day before so she made the B. Crocker one for her and whoever else wanted to try it (some people act like it's poison or something!) anyway the day after the party we were both like"oh well, the brownies are good" so I said wait, I'm gonna try a piece heated.....well it was actually pretty good! We both thought well, you have to heat up the bread for it to be halfway decent, why not the cake? She said it was kind of like the "molten lava" cake they have at some restaurant (I forget which). I wouldn't go THAT far but it was BETTER! ;)

Black Sheep Apprentice

Two additional comments:

1. To count calories, check out livestrong.com MY Daily Plate. I love it for tracking calories and it contains most things that are there. I used it before gluten-free and after.

2. Pamela's brownies suck. I make homemade brownies that are amazing, and way better than anything i ever had gluten free. Highly recommend.

Thanks for the tips! I'll check out livestrong, and avoid Pamela's brownies. ;)

Archived