sandiz

Frustrated And Mad At Doctors!

Rate this topic

Went to the doctor the other day for ct scan results for lower right abdominal pain. Nothing was wrong he said. Had mentioned to him about this site and was wondering about the itchy bumps I have been getting. I asked him if it was gluten coming out in my system, he laughed at me and said that was not possible. Gluten passes thru your system it doesn't stay there, he also said don't believe everything I read.

Talk about bad "bed side" manners. He offered no answers. I felt so pissed off when I left. Have searched and there are no doctors in my area that deal with this. Doctors are very scarse so have no where to turn.

No wonder people turn to sites like this with no help or support from there doctors.

Feeling frustrated and mad!!!

I am sorry you live in an underserved medical area :( It is true that the most common reaction celiacs receive from the medical profession is skepticism and put-downs. Doctors should believe more of what they read!! Then they would be more educated. The trouble is that most of them do not read their own medical journals and keep up to date. Any doctor who graduated before 1995 is probably under-educated about celiac. However, fortunately not all doctors believe that they are God, their patients idiots or headcases, or sometimes both!

Do you have a state Celiac Society who could recommend a doctor within driving distance of where you live? It would be well worth the trip!

I am sorry you live in an underserved medical area :( It is true that the most common reaction celiacs receive from the medical profession is skepticism and put-downs. Doctors should believe more of what they read!! Then they would be more educated. The trouble is that most of them do not read their own medical journals and keep up to date. Any doctor who graduated before 1995 is probably under-educated about celiac. However, fortunately not all doctors believe that they are God, their patients idiots or headcases, or sometimes both!

Do you have a state Celiac Society who could recommend a doctor within driving distance of where you live? It would be well worth the trip!

I live on Vancouver Island, BC, Canada and the closest doctor is in the next province hundreds of miles away. Thank you.

I live on Vancouver Island, BC, Canada and the closest doctor is in the next province hundreds of miles away. Thank you.

How about a ferry trip to Vancouver? :D

T'is is a pleasant voyage if I recall, from Nanaimo, if the sea is right :)

How about a ferry trip to Vancouver? :D

T'is is a pleasant voyage if I recall, from Nanaimo, if the sea is right :)

Is there a doctor in Vancouver that deals with gluten? I know there is a support group in Nanaimo, which is half hour from me. It is hard to get to things because of work and days off. Not to mention the fact that I can't afford to take time off work.

Is there a doctor in Vancouver that deals with gluten? I know there is a support group in Nanaimo, which is half hour from me. It is hard to get to things because of work and days off. Not to mention the fact that I can't afford to take time off work.

I would think the Nanaimo support group would probably have some good information for you - worth a try anyway! They might meet in the evenings even.

Do you have access to a dermatologist? The itchy bumps could be DH and a diagnosis of DH is a diagnosis of celiac. It isn't the gluten coming out through the skin, your doctor was correct about that. It is an antibody reaction in the skin. A dermatologist can do a biopsy of the sking next to the lesions to find it.