nickpnh

Helping People With Allergies

Rate this topic

Would this help you  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Would you benefit from any of these services?

• Personal shopper
    • Personalized meal catering
    • Personalized dessert/special occasion catering
    • Reduced cost support to meet diet requirements
    • Personalized diet research
  2. 2. Would you pay for any of these services?

• Personal shopper
    • Personalized meal catering
    • Personalized dessert/special occasion catering
    • Personalized diet research

I am trying to figure out how to make my journey with multiple food allergies including gluten with my 3.5 year old meaningful for others.

I have often wondered how people afford to support the dietary restrictions we've faced. The sheer cost in money and time required to meet a dairy, soy, legume (beans, peas), beef and gluten allergic child has been enormous. I would love to start a non-profit to assist families but I need to continue to support our needs.

Does something like this exist? What is the missing link that would make your life happier and easier?

I and many others here live with all of those same restrictions plus more. I choose to focus on what I CAN have and then ask myself "What can I do with these?" I also make it a point to try new things that I previously didn't eat but am not allergic to or fit within my dietary guidelines, just so that I can have more variety. If you stick with simple meals, fresh ingredients it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg. There are many things you can do with inexpensive ingredients that are simple, don't take any time and are kid friendly. I think our kids are better off if we don't try to replace everything. Being able to think outside the box and adapt will serve them later on. I think too that if we come at it with the perspective that they are deprived and try to fill that percieved need, it rubs off on them and that's not a positive thing. Again, focus on the CAN have. Goldfish crackers are out but hey we can have watermelon! Yes, they are not the same but who says watermelon is less enjoyable!

Hope that helps. If you need specific ideas for meals and treats or need other support don't hesitate to ask. People here can offer great ideas for saving $ too.

I tried to answer your poll but since the only thing I checked was the part about reduced cost it wouldn't let me. For myself I have learned more here than I did with a nutritionist or anyone else.

The cost can seem to be high but in the long run with buying less processed foods my grocery bills have actually gone down a bit.