farmwife67

Need A Brand Of Good Flour Tortilla Shells And Hot Dog Buns

Rate this topic

My kids won't eat hotdogs without buns and I'm determined to keep house gluten-free. Sometimes you just have to have hot dogs when you need a quick meal. Any suggestions?

Lonewolf posted this Soft Flat Bread recipe that is excellent. Of course it doesn't look like a bun but makes up for it with taste.

I know you said no bunless dogs, but that's how we do them. To add variety, I slice them at an angle and pan fry. Then add just a dash of catsup or BBQ sauce at the end. Kiddo loves them this way in his lunch box. I also used to cut them like octopus and fish shapes. There are tutorials on the net on how to do it and it's not hard and can be done in batches in advance. Can be frozen. Just pan fry or boil. I've also make up a batch of corn muffin mix and pored it into the muffin tins. Cut a dog into lengths to match the height of the muffin tin and placed one standing up in the middle of the muffins and baked-corn dog muffins. Great for the lunchbox. Well, there are some more HD ideas. What about beenie weenie? Baked beans and franks?

I know you said no bunless dogs, but that's how we do them. To add variety, I slice them at an angle and pan fry. Then add just a dash of catsup or BBQ sauce at the end. Kiddo loves them this way in his lunch box. I also used to cut them like octopus and fish shapes. There are tutorials on the net on how to do it and it's not hard and can be done in batches in advance. Can be frozen. Just pan fry or boil. I've also make up a batch of corn muffin mix and pored it into the muffin tins. Cut a dog into lengths to match the height of the muffin tin and placed one standing up in the middle of the muffins and baked-corn dog muffins. Great for the lunchbox. Well, there are some more HD ideas. What about beenie weenie? Baked beans and franks?

The kids I'm speaking of are 17 and want dogs in a bun...lol I don't think they would like octopus or fish...lol

I should have told you this

The kids I'm speaking of are 17 and want dogs in a bun...lol I don't think they would like octopus or fish...lol

I should have told you this

:lol: Definitely not age appropriate. Corn tortillas? I know some who bake their HD buns in disposable alluminum foil baked potato tins ordered off the internet, or take the english muffin rings and stretch them out to an oval shape and pour their bread dough recipe in and bake.

With burgers we wrap in a lettuce leaf but I wouldn't enjoy a dog that way. I just eat bunless with some grainy mustard for dipping and a side of sauteed onions.

:lol: Definitely not age appropriate. Corn tortillas? I know some who bake their HD buns in disposable alluminum foil baked potato tins ordered off the internet, or take the english muffin rings and stretch them out to an oval shape and pour their bread dough recipe in and bake.

With burgers we wrap in a lettuce leaf but I wouldn't enjoy a dog that way. I just eat bunless with some grainy mustard for dipping and a side of sauteed onions.

Thanks I was really hoping to find someone that knew of a good brand of hot dog buns. That is the only thing I haven't been able to make taste the way they want it. (they don't like corn tortillas, I was looking for a good flour type tortilla too)

Good hot dog buns: the grainless baker

"flour" tortillas- French Meadow bakery. Most Whole Foods and Mothers Markets have them. They're white and yummy.

No luck yet on the hot dog buns. Kinnickinnick makes great hamburger buns. maybe they make hot dog buns, too/

Kinnickinnick makes great hamburger buns. maybe they make hot dog buns, too/

They do make them and they are good, too.

There's a thread in the 'products' section about burger/dog buns, and there are more suggestions there. I personally like using Bob's Red Mill pizza crust mix, making it into bun shapes. It makes better bread than pizza crust, in my opinion. The bread stays soft for days, so it can be packed for lunch sandwiches too.

I second Grandma Ferndon's if you can get them. The best gluten-free buns I've had. I'd bet your kids would love them.

Sidenote--her cinnamon rolls are to die for.