RideAllWays

Mom Finally Getting Tested!

Rate this topic

My mom and I have had a lot of the same symptoms for years. I was finally diagnosed with Celiac disease a year ago, and the more I learned the more I thought my mom had it. She went off gluten for a little while (not fully, just cut out obvious sources, didn't care about CC) but then gave up and started eating it again. She is also diabetic.

Finally she is getting tested! I hope she starts to feel better like me and we can finally have this in common. I feel like she'll understand me so much better and we can have cooking and food to bond over haha.

My mom and I have had a lot of the same symptoms for years. I was finally diagnosed with Celiac disease a year ago, and the more I learned the more I thought my mom had it. She went off gluten for a little while (not fully, just cut out obvious sources, didn't care about CC) but then gave up and started eating it again. She is also diabetic.

Finally she is getting tested! I hope she starts to feel better like me and we can finally have this in common. I feel like she'll understand me so much better and we can have cooking and food to bond over haha.

That's great. A good step in a good direction. I wish you both the best. As someone with both diabetes and celiac disease, I hope it helps her with the diabetes. It might help her blood sugars if you are able to encourage her to cut down on carbs when she gives up gluten. Sometimes it's easier to make one change as long as you're already making another. You didn't mention if she's T1 or T2 but there's a strong connection between celiac disease and T1-both classic and adult onset-T1.5 or L.A.D.A. As someone with a mom who's obviously very sick from gluten I can appreciate what a cause for celebration your news is.