halfrunner

German Puffy Pancake

Rate this topic

DH was getting antsy for some different breakfast ideas, so I pulled this recipe out of one of my Better Homes & Garden cookbooks. It was always a hit before DH went gluten-free, so I played with it over the last few weeks to make it gluten-free for him. It's sooo good.

German Puffy Pancake

2 eggs

1/2 c. milk

1 1/2 tbsp. butter

1/2 c. rice flour

1 tsp. xanthan gum

1/4 tsp. salt

1 1/2 tbsp. potato (or tapioca, or corn) starch

Put butter in a cold cake or pie pan in the oven and turn it on to 400 degrees. While oven is heating, beat eggs & add milk. Combine dry ingredients in a separate container, mixing well, then set aside.

Once oven is preheated, mix the dry ingredients in to the wet, and remove pan from oven. Use a pastry brush to butter the sides, then add in the pancake batter.

Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown, puffy, and delicious. Serve immediately.

Topping suggestions: nutella, fruit, jam, powdered sugar, nut butter, and/or syrup.

I tried something similar to this called German Pancakes. I did use Bob's Red Mill gluten free AP flour for it (no xanthan gum needed).

http://www.bobsredmi...ail.php?rid=108

Very simple recipe and the only change I'd make is to add a dash or two of salt. I dumped all the ingredients in my blender and blended for a very short period of time. I see no reason the recipe wouldn't easily double to make in a 9 x 13" glass baking dish.

The success of this dish is dependent on melting the butter in the baking dish in the oven and then pouring the batter in the hot baking dish. Don't open the oven door and peak until it's done! Now I need to find a recipe for gluten free popovers (very similiar type of batter)

Back in the 70's a friend gave me a recipe called "Hootenanys"...basically the same type of puffed pancake recipe and my kids loved it...I think they still make it today.

German Puffy Pancake

2 eggs

1/2 c. milk

1 1/2 tbsp. butter

1/2 c. rice flour

1 tsp. xanthan gum

1/4 tsp. salt

Mmmm, that sounds so good! O.k., a couple of questions: How does the pancake get "puffy" without any leavening? Not that it really matters, I suppose...just curious on that one.

My other question is a bit more important--do you know if potato, tapioca, and corn starches are all interchangeable, in any recipe that calls for one or the other? This would be a good thing to know, for people with allergies to one or more of these....like I may end up being for all I know, as my doc wants to test me for food allergies! :huh:

I can't even consider the possibility of being allergic to all three, oh please God no..... :ph34r:

DH was getting antsy for some different breakfast ideas, so I pulled this recipe out of one of my Better Homes & Garden cookbooks. It was always a hit before DH went gluten-free, so I played with it over the last few weeks to make it gluten-free for him. It's sooo good.

German Puffy Pancake

2 eggs

1/2 c. milk

1 1/2 tbsp. butter

1/2 c. rice flour

1 tsp. xanthan gum

1/4 tsp. salt

Put butter in a cold cake or pie pan in the oven and turn it on to 400 degrees. While oven is heating, beat eggs & add milk. Combine dry ingredients in a separate container, mixing well, then set aside.

Once oven is preheated, mix the dry ingredients in to the wet, and remove pan from oven. Use a pastry brush to butter the sides, then add in the pancake batter.

Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown, puffy, and delicious. Serve immediately.

Topping suggestions: nutella, fruit, jam, powdered sugar, nut butter, and/or syrup.

Yum!! I'm making this the next time we want pancakes :D

My other question is a bit more important--do you know if potato, tapioca, and corn starches are all interchangeable, in any recipe that calls for one or the other?

Yes they are. I can't do tapioca, so I always substitute either potato or cornstarch--or a combination of both.