BethM55

Question About Brown Rice?

Rate this topic

The Living Without site lists brown rice as possibly containing gluten, on their "quick start" information page for eating gluten free. How can this be? A typo, maybe? I thought all rice varieties are safe? (white, brown, Basmati, jasmine, etc) :(

I thought all rice varieties are safe? (white, brown, Basmati, jasmine, etc) :(

That is my understanding as well. I don't know what they are concerned about.

I just looked at that. The list of potential problem foods is written in a very odd way - as if the person's first language isn't English. The other parts I read seem OK. I usually don't trust websites & emails that are "off" that way but I think "Living Without" is a reputable site. Very odd! I know flavored rice mixes might have gluten in them but not the plain stuff.

Just sent a letter to the editor. If I get a reply, I'll post it here.

I agree, Living Without is a reputable site. I sent an email to the editor to ask about this, so if I get a reply I will post it.

It could be that they are concerned about cross contamination. I resently found that many companies that package rice and rice products also process and package other grains, meaning often gluten containing grains. I realized that I need to make sure I purchase rice from a gluten free facility.

Honestly, the more I find out the more complicated this seems.