kenlove

Food Should Taste Good Chips

Rate this topic

Daughter brought me a bag of tortilla chips from a company named food should taste good.

the bag proudly proclaims them as gluten free and certified as such by

"The gluten free certfication organization"

The ingredients inlude oat fiber -- I cannot handle oats without getting dh or the big D.

ANyone else have experience with these chips or company?

thanks

ken

Not that company, but several others...I have to read everything since I am also oat and soy "intolerant". Even if it is a brand I am get all the time I still read ingredients!

I eat the chips occasionally BUT I don't eat the ones with oat fiber. Some of us tolerate gluten free oats but some of us don't. I am one who avoids oats. I eat the Black Olive and when I can find them the Chocolate ones.

I've tried the olive ones, sweet potato, buffalo, and multigrain...with no bad effects. Love the olive ones...

Interesting that these companies can loudly proclaim gluten free then stick a ton of oat fiber in things without any qualifications on the labels.

DO you know

why would they certify something with oat without some sort of label explanation?

Interesting that these companies can loudly proclaim gluten free then stick a ton of oat fiber in things without any qualifications on the labels.

DO you know

why would they certify something with oat without some sort of label explanation?

Oats are considered to be gluten free. It is the processing that so heavily contaminates most oats that makes them something to avoid. Certified gluten free oats are grown and processed in a way that CC is prevented. That said there are some of us who will react to even for sure certified gluten-free oats. No way of knowing if you are one of those.

I ate a lot of the cinnamon flavored ones for New Year's Eve and reacted poorly to them.

And before you go, oh, how do you know ? I know, because I ate most of the bag that evening, and nothing else weird or different at all that day. And I had club soda/tonic water with a lime twist that evening. Sorry to be so boring!

The ingredients are Stone Ground Corn, High Oleic Sunflower and/or Safflower Oil, Evaporated Cane Juice, Cinnamon, Corn Bran, Sea Salt

I thought I was okay with these ingredients. I eat corn, sunflower seeds if they are plain, cinnamon, and salt by itself. Safflower Oil ?

That was the 2nd time I'd reacted to a commercially made gluten free chip (the other time was to one from a brand I eat the rice cakes from all the time, which also surprised me. Nothing on the label could be readily identified as the culprit. My spouse was so proud of himself for picking these out at the store for me. I had him eat the rest of them.

I've given up on those fried commercial types of gluten chips and am sticking to a plain baked rice cracker for now or something that I make.

Maybe my bag was oat contaminated. That would explain a lot.

I was bummed, because they tasted good.

I may try these things since i can handle the bobs gluten free oats but have tried other things

that said gluten free but had oat bran and I was very very sorry.

Guess it depends on how much of chance I feel like taking -- if any.

I guess have little faith in labeling and certification processes since I have to deal with things that are often market USDA organic and are not.

Oats are considered to be gluten free. It is the processing that so heavily contaminates most oats that makes them something to avoid. Certified gluten free oats are grown and processed in a way that CC is prevented. That said there are some of us who will react to even for sure certified gluten-free oats. No way of knowing if you are one of those.

I may try these things since i can handle the bobs gluten free oats but have tried other things

that said gluten free but had oat bran and I was very very sorry.

Guess it depends on how much of chance I feel like taking -- if any.

I guess have little faith in labeling and certification processes since I have to deal with things that are often market USDA organic and are not.

I have had the sweet potato chips several times with no problems. I do have a problem with oats and I did not know the whole grain variety had oats until after I ate them and got really sick.. I will stick with the sweet potato chips!

Thanks -- i decided against trying... just not worth the pain for a moment of pleasure when I can get that from a zillion other things

I have had the sweet potato chips several times with no problems. I do have a problem with oats and I did not know the whole grain variety had oats until after I ate them and got really sick.. I will stick with the sweet potato chips!