This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Aldi's

hermitgirl

hermitgirl Contributor

An Aldi's grocery store opened not to far from me. Other than the obvious like produce, has anyone had any experience with them? What about their labeling policies? Just trying to figure out if I should even stop there for anything other than produce. Reading some of the labels appeared safe, but not sure as if their labeling policy is upfront about gluten as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

An Aldi's grocery store opened not to far from me. Other than the obvious like produce, has anyone had any experience with them? What about their labeling policies? Just trying to figure out if I should even stop there for anything other than produce. Reading some of the labels appeared safe, but not sure as if their labeling policy is upfront about gluten as well.

Thanks!!!!

I know I went there once when they opened near me. I read the package of every piece of meat in the place and they all had 'natural flavorings'. All of them. Even the beef. So I haven't been back. I tend to buy natural/organics anyway and they didn't have any of that.

irish daveyboy Community Regular

Thanks!!!!

Lot's of the products they sell (here in Ireland anyway) state Gluten Free on their Labelling.

Their Gluten Free Statement meets the latest world criteria (except Australia) of < 20PPM.

My advice is read the labels.

Gluten Free goods.

some chocolate bars

some candies

some soups

salami, frankfurters and cold cuts.

bacon joints and rashers

some yoghurts

some ready meals

some frozen meals

some tinned goods

the list is too long.

Best Regards,

David

hermitgirl Contributor

Lot's of the products they sell (here in Ireland anyway) state Gluten Free on their Labelling.

Their Gluten Free Statement meets the latest world criteria (except Australia) of < 20PPM.

My advice is read the labels.

Gluten Free goods.

some chocolate bars

some candies

some soups

salami, frankfurters and cold cuts.

bacon joints and rashers

some yoghurts

some ready meals

some frozen meals

some tinned goods

the list is too long.

Best Regards,

David

Thank you David.

When I looked at the packaging of several items, not a single one had the words gluten free that I looked at. This included a variety of nuts, nut mixes, as well as items like rice cakes, cereals, meats and such. I have not been able to find any info,other than a couple of their soymilk products are supposedly labeled gluten free, but the store I was in had none, and as they make a point here in the United States to avoid customer contact.

sunnybabi1986 Contributor

I don't know if all Aldi's are doing this, but in our local Aldi's ad I saw Envirokidz Gluten free cereal for 2.49/box (WOW!) and Amy's frozen gluten free meals on sale. I didn't even know they carried those brands! Nice to see, I have to go check it out at my local store. Envirokidz cereal is $4 a box at other stores, 2.49 is a super deal!

MagpieWrites Rookie

For the most part, I shop at Aldi's for the basics - Milk, butter, eggs, and quite a bit of my fresh veggies and haven't had any problems. (Added bonus? The major grocery store around here sells milk for 2.89-4.99 a gallon. Aldi's is usually $1.89 per gallon!)

I stay away from most convenience items anyway - but for things like canned tomatoes and bags of oranges, can't beat their prices. It's a real help in keeping my grocery budget down when I have to buy more expensive items like xanthan gum at the health food store!

lpellegr Collaborator

I've had mixed results from our local Aldi. I haven't seen anything labeled gluten-free (maybe they don't do it in the US), and there's little information about whether things are made on lines or in facilities with gluten. Some products have been fine, and others gave me a reaction (pistachios? deli ham? Really?). They have no consumer contact info on their website, so there's no one to call. I'd say stick to the non-processed items like produce and eggs.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

I've been in one, but we don't have them here. The one I was in was in PA. I didn't buy too much. A few cans of soda pop, a few cans of vegetables and some stuffed animals. I was told they had some good kids videos too. MIL used to shop there but mostly for non food items.

Archived