Black Sheep

Could These Symptoms Be From Gluten, Or Food Allergies?

Rate this topic

My kids are grown, so I hope you don't mind if I ask a question here on behalf of a young couple I know with a sick 2 year old.

She's been sick a lot lately, and a couple of nights ago they had to rush her to the ER because she was having rapid, labored breathing, and "tummy troubles," as the mom put it (not sure then, exactly what kind of "tummy troubles"). They gave her a chest x-ray, breathing treatment, and sent her home with Prednisolone, not knowing what's wrong with her. They said it might be the beginning of asthma, but just don't know.

So I'm wondering if a gluten intolerance/celiac disease, or food allergies, could cause something like this. Anyone have any ideas?

Btw, sorry if I'm being redundant if this has been asked/discussed before, but I'm new here and am still trying to figure the search engine. :blink:

My kids are grown, so I hope you don't mind if I ask a question here on behalf of a young couple I know with a sick 2 year old.

She's been sick a lot lately, and a couple of nights ago they had to rush her to the ER because she was having rapid, labored breathing, and "tummy troubles," as the mom put it (not sure then, exactly what kind of "tummy troubles"). They gave her a chest x-ray, breathing treatment, and sent her home with Prednisolone, not knowing what's wrong with her. They said it might be the beginning of asthma, but just don't know.

So I'm wondering if a gluten intolerance/celiac disease, or food allergies, could cause something like this. Anyone have any ideas?

Btw, sorry if I'm being redundant if this has been asked/discussed before, but I'm new here and am still trying to figure the search engine. :blink:

If her "tummy troubles" caused excessive bloating that could create pressure on the lungs and make breathing difficult. Without knowing more, it's difficult to say.

I really don't know the answer to that but I can tell you what's happened with my 4-year-old son. He was sick a lot too, seemed to get every cold and bug out there. A lot of the time he would get extremely sick from just a regular virus. He also had reflux, sleep apnea, rashes, congestion, massive attentional issues and a speech delay. Over this winter whenever he got sick he would get this awful, lingering cough that would get so bad that it would make him vomit sometimes. In Feb the dr said it may be the beginning of asthma. He's in the process of being tested for food allergies. The blood work came back negative so the next step is skin testing.

I took both my boys off gluten, then dairy after I was diagnosed with Celiac. I had been beginning to suspect gluten in my son for a little while. It was amazing how much he turned around. His problems are all but gone. We go back to his GI in a few weeks to discuss everything. We know it was gluten and dairy that were causing all these problems. I'm continuing on with the food allergy testing to be sure he's not allergic to one of those as well or has any others.

Hope your friend finds her answers soon and her daughter starts feeling better!