shepgs

Brown Rice Flour

Rate this topic

So many of the recipes I see call for brown rice flour (or regular rice flour). I would rather avoid this if possible. I once saw a chart that compared different gluten-free flours and was amazed at how many more carbs the brown rice flour had over the others. I know, any of the flours will be carb heavy but cutting where I can would be good, I'd think.

If I choose to use sorghum in recipes that call for brown rice flour, will the texture be different. I guess I'm asking if there is something special to baking with brown rice flour or is it used so often due to availability?

Thanks!

I have substituted sorghum for brown rice flour successfully. We get two different types of sorghum here, the "sweet white" sorghum or the less refined (looks more like brown rice flour) sorghum, which does have a slightly rougher texture and adds a darker coloring to the baked goods.

I use sorghum in place of brown rice flour all the time. Go for it.

If you're wanting to cut carbs you could try making stuff with nut flours or coconut flour. I enjoy these alot. I just made a biscotti out of almond flour. It was good. I make banana bread with the coconut flour alot too.