This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Simple (And I Mean Simple) Gluten-Free Packed Lunches

flutterby

flutterby Apprentice

Hi All:

Does anyone have any tips for simple gluten-free packed lunches? I live in central america, which means I can't get any kind of gluten free breads, cookies, health bards, snacks, etc. A lot of canned tuna has a warning that it is processed on things that also process wheat, and besides that it is expensive. But I've been getting sick a lot, which makes me think that even though I'm ordering "safe" things there's a lot of contamination in the eateries where I go for lunch (rice usually has boullion, they use the same tongs to touch the breaded chicken as they do they other chicken), so basically ... I need to start taking my lunch!!!!

• Fresh Veggies
  • Corn Chips
  • Plain Yougurt
  • Salads
  • ... what else? (or any kinds of salads you've found that work well other than just lettuce and veggies ...)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

buffettbride Enthusiast

Can you get your own corn flour/masa and make corn tortillas?

tmbarke Apprentice

Hi All:

Does anyone have any tips for simple gluten-free packed lunches? I live in central america, which means I can't get any kind of gluten free breads, cookies, health bards, snacks, etc. A lot of canned tuna has a warning that it is processed on things that also process wheat, and besides that it is expensive. But I've been getting sick a lot, which makes me think that even though I'm ordering "safe" things there's a lot of contamination in the eateries where I go for lunch (rice usually has boullion, they use the same tongs to touch the breaded chicken as they do they other chicken), so basically ... I need to start taking my lunch!!!!

• Fresh Veggies
  • Corn Chips
  • Plain Yougurt
  • Salads
  • ... what else? (or any kinds of salads you've found that work well other than just lettuce and veggies ...)

I love my grilled chicken caesar salads! I use Lachoy soy sauce with lime juice, oil and herbs to marinade chicken breasts......romaine lettuce, tomatoes, grn onion, cukes, and shredded Kraft cheese with Bolthouse, Lighthouse or Marzetti ranch and caesar dressings (found in the produce section and gluten-free)

Heat the chicken at work and add to the salad! oh it's soooo good!

I also like Taco salad! gluten-free corn chips - hamburger with gluten-free seasoning mix - home made salsa and gluten-free french dressing with lettuce, tomato, onion and black olives....sour cream works too!

I also make my own soups.......chicken and wild rice (herb-ox bouillon is safe and so is watkins soup base 'chicken') add veggies and it's a great meal!

I love my left over pasta and sauce to heat up at work too - gluten-free pasta and I use Classico Pasta sauces with hamburger and moz! I love th alfredo sauce with Pesto added to really herb up the flavor!...add chicken to the alfredo with some steamed zucchini, summer squash, carrots (thin) and add mushrooms!

Anything you eat at home can be lunch for you........unless you don't have a fridge and nuker at work.

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

lunch meat

hard boiled eggs

leftovers in a thermos

cheese

pudding

Nor-TX Enthusiast

Because I can't eat most fresh veggies and most fresh fruits, I take a potato a bake it at work. I cut up a mango and mix it with canned fruit. I also try to cook enough at dinner, so that there are leftovers. For instance tonite I am cooking a piece of salmon and a baked potato. I will cut each in half before I take it to the table and that will give me lunch tomorrow. I also keep a bag of cooked, cleaned frozen shrimp. When I am feeling poorly, I just take a handful of shrimp and put it into a baggie and bring it to work. By lunch time they are defrosted and everyone is always telling me I bring such yummy foods!

ciavyn Contributor

I take sweet potatoes, corn chips, cheese, salad, carrots, fruit...let's see. Two eggs, with a very soft cheese -- like laughing cow wedges, stir the eggs and microwave in a mug for two minutes. Then mix 1t yogurt, 1t dijonaise (dijon mustard mixed with mayo -- we can buy it by name in the US) and a squirt of lemon juice...heaven. You can really play with egg mugs -- add salsa, different cheeses, avocado, etc. Deli meat, grilled chicken, left over pasta meal. Sometimes I do crock pot meals and portion them out. I make my own soup...

Darn210 Enthusiast

Make a batch of chicken salad or ham salad or egg salad . . . doesn't have to be fancy, all I put in mine are hard boiled egg, chicken, a little mayo and a little spicy mustard. Then use a safe brand of corn tortilla chip to scoop it up like it's a dip.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Reba32 Rookie

easy "ploughman's lunch"

sliced deli meats

sliced cheese

pickles

roll a slice of meat and cheese around the pickle, enjoy :D

Add any veggies or fruits to fill in the corners.

Mack the Knife Explorer

Gluten free dips on rice or corn cakes

Avocado on rice or corn cakes (lovely with a bit of cracked pepper and lemon juice)

grilled polenta slices (mix in some sundried tomatoes, olives, zucchini and parmesan cheese while cooking).

irish daveyboy Community Regular

Hi All:

Does anyone have any tips for simple gluten-free packed lunches? I live in central america, which means I can't get any kind of gluten free breads, cookies, health bards, snacks, etc....... so basically ... I need to start taking my lunch!!!!

Hi,

I have recipe blog called The Coeliac Lunchbox,

you might get some ideas there,

search engines may not pick it up yet

so go to my profile for a link

Best Regards,

David

DinaB Apprentice

The main thing that works for our family at home is to make a larger dinner portion and bring left-overs for lunch the next day. However, if you are not used to cooking then try these:

- Roasted turkey chopped with peppers in a rice wrapper

- Yogurts

- Fruit

- Corn Pasta

- Hormel gluten-free Products (Pepperoni) and cheese with crackers

- Roasted Veggies over Rice

- Chile over a baked potatoe

I hope some of these work for you.

missy'smom Collaborator

You can use a low-carb dieter's trick and use a lettuce leaf to wrap your sandwich fixings in. I've done it with fish tacos and burger patties too. Choose a large piece of leafy lettuve and wrap like a burrito or fold in half like a tortilla with tacos. When packing for lunch, pack the lettuce leaves and sandwich fillings separately and assemble at lunchtime.

Leftover rice-any variety-long-grain white, brown, wild or combination, is great as a salad with any kind of oil and vinegar or citrus juice, seasonings and/ or herbs for the dressing. Add in nuts and/or fresh or dried fruits, chopped small. Things like salsa, beans, corn can be added too. Bits of meat like chicken can be added. Works great with quinoa as well. Many flavor options.

GFLindsey Explorer

Here are some of my lunch staples:

-Banana with peanut butter (I keep a jar in my desk)

-Corn tortillas with gluten-free deli meat, cheese, etc. Just like a sandwich!

-Hard-boiled egg

-Almonds, trail mix, raisins, or other dried fruits

-Yoplait yogurt (the gluten-free ones of course!)

-Tortilla chips with hummus

-Sweet potato or yam with a little brown sugar (I use Domino's) and butter

-Fresh veggie strips and mini carrots

-Fresh fruit

-Left-overs - normally chicken, rice, beans, etc. Anything left from th enight before that reheats well in the microwave

Those are pretty much the staples that I rotate between. Typing this made me so hungry!

flutterby Apprentice

lunch meat

hard boiled eggs

leftovers in a thermos

cheese

pudding

I've been afraid to eat lunch meat beause of possible gluten ... doesn't a lot of it contain it? I'll have to check down here to see if I can get any responses from the companies about whether it has gluten or not. Sadly they're not always responsive. Thanks!

flutterby Apprentice

Goodness!!! Thank you so much for all of these lovely suggestions!!! For the first time in a long time I'm not terrified of going to the grociery store :) My main problem is protein, but I think hardboiled eggs will work well for now until I can figure out something else.

wildwood Apprentice

I've been afraid to eat lunch meat beause of possible gluten ... doesn't a lot of it contain it? I'll have to check down here to see if I can get any responses from the companies about whether it has gluten or not. Sadly they're not always responsive. Thanks!

My daughter enjoys Hormel Naturals cold cuts. This brand does not contain nitrates which is good because my daughter reacts to nitrates in much the same way as she does to gluten. She has had no problem with this brand and since it comes prepackaged we do not have to worry about cross contamination. They go on sale quite often and you can also find coupons for this brand from time to time.

GFLindsey Explorer

I shop at Giant Eagle and Aldi. The Giant Eagle brand deli meats are mostly gluten free. The labels have big gluten-free logo on the corner to make it easy to tell. Today at Aldi, I found Fit and Active ham that was gluten free and a Mesquite Turkey also labeled gluten free very clearly. Delicious :) Don't be afraid to eat lunch meats -- especially the pre-packaged kind. Many of them are very clearly labeled so just be sure to read them carefully!

annemarie246 Newbie

Lunches that have worked for me:

Homemade hummus with rice crackers or carrots

Quinoa greek salad

Tuna and avocado salad (can't do any dairy at the moment)

Dinner leftovers

Almond butter with celery or on rice cakes

tamales

I try to find time on the weekend to make some things to take for lunch as eating out is nearly impossible.

Reba32 Rookie

not all of the Hormel Naturals are gluten free, but the ones that are, are labeled as such. I think the roasted chicken, and the sandwich size salami is *not* gluten free. I usually buy the smoked ham, roasted turkey, and the pepperoni slices. They are gluten free.

Just read the labels. Need to get into the habit anyway.

Archived