foodiegurl

Bob's Red Mill Red Lentils

Rate this topic

I know Bob's Red Mill red lentils are not listed as gluten-free and are made on shared lines, but they do have a strict cleaning policy. However, I have had quite the saga discovering mystery grains in my red lentils, even after they sent me a replacement package. In the end, I sent them the grains, which I thought were barley, ended up being wheat and they have determined it is from harvesting.

I have documented the whole story here, including the response from Bob's Red Mill:

http://www.glutenfreemusings.com/2010/04/red-lentil-saga-part-3.html

I just wanted as many people to be aware of this if you love red lentils and use them like i do.

Good grief. :blink:

Nice job of bean gleaning and getting the manufacturer to notice.

Most any bag of lentils (and other beans/legumes) will tell you to sort through the beans before rinsing and using because of the issue with harvesting. Trying to make sure that not a single stalk of wheat grows in a field that either is rotated with wheat or even just within the rough vicinity of growing wheat is virtually impossible.

Every brand of lentils I have ever bought has had wheat grains in them. I make sure to check them thoroughly and have never had a problem with lentils.