GarAndTeed

Off Insect Repellent?

Rate this topic

Question: I seem to recall reading that Off is NOT gluten-free. I'm brutally allergic to mosquitos (stupid things!:angry:), and I LOVE taking walks in the field next to my house, as well as having fires in my back yard fire bowl at night. Being outside & walking is critical to my mental well-being, and I've tried other insect repellents in the past-- none work (in fact, I typically use the Deep Woods Off, which has the highest DEET concentration). I'm pretty compulsive about washing it away when I come inside, as I don't want any chemicals to get on my feline "kids".

Is there any way it might still be safe to use Off? Or does anyone have any suggestions for a good insect repellent that works?

Thanks for any feedback!!!

Have you tried using something like this:

http://www.mosquitorepellent.com/compact-appliance.asp

I couldn't find the one I have used, it was smaller but quite effective. You could carry it or something similiar with you. The one I had used a noise that I couldn't hear to repel them.

Hiya:

I've got a friend with a small farm who swears by rosemary oil to keep the mosquitos away - it seems to work for black flies too. She's got to be out there in her fields from late Spring to early Autumn.

I found this article out there.

Maybe it will help?

http://www.ehow.com/how_2164039_use-rosemary-oil-as-insect.html

~Allison

I called the manufacturer that makes Off just this year (around Feb.) and they told me off has gluten in it. I have used badger anti-bug balm. The ingredient list is citronella oil, cedar oil, lemongrass oil, rosemary oil, geranium oil, organic extra virgin olive oil, beeswax and castor oil. It works but you have to apply it more often. I am also going to try Burt's Bees outdoor all natural herbal insect repellent this year. I need to verify the gluten status on it so if anyone knows, thanks. The mosquitos are really bad in our back yard so we are going to contract with Orkin to treat our back yard this year.

I got this response from Cutter:

Thank you for contacting United Industries regarding our Cutter Repellents. Ingredients considered potentially hazardous are listed on the product label and on the MSDS. The unlisted ingredients are generally regarded as safe by the United States EPA. Unlisted ingredients are considered proprietary and are not generally disclosed. We do formulate our products with allergy sensitivities in mind. Cutter Repellents do not contain the following:

My mom makes her own insect repellent with diluted vinegar. You'll smell like a pickle, but the bugs will not come near you at all!

I have also used Listerine. Mix it with a bit of water and spray it on your skin. It's worked for me, and it smells tons better than vinegar.