Mj_Toronto

Gluten Free Pasta

Rate this topic

hi there,

i came here to ask a question about gluten free pasta...i've been eating rizopia brown rice pasta for many years now, but i'd like to try something different

i was wondering if anyone knows a good online store with good prices on a variety of diferent kinds of gluten free pastas..i would really like to try some potatoe based pasta but someone told me you can only buy it in the US..

from the places i've found..all the websites, the prices for gluten free pasta are rediculously high...

i've been buying 454g bags of rice pasta on average of $2.30...most places that i've checked out charge that for half the size (227g bag)

so any help would be great

thanks

There are some oriental noodles that are gluten free. Still rice based, but a different taste. I've got a package here, the brand is Young & Young Trading Co Ltd, its a Canadian company. They are Rice Vermicelle noodles. Real Canadian Super Store has corn based noodles. The colour is a little off-putting, they are like neon orange but when i read the ingredients they were just corn. I haven't tried them, and they are not at all RCSS locations. I think they have some other different types of gluten-free pasta at some of them too.

For online, have you tried http://www.glutenfreemall.com/catalog/pastas-noodles-c-29.html ?

thanks for the replies

to be honest the problem with me is that i have a food malabsorption issue rather than a celiac.although a few years ago i was tested because i thought i might be one

anyway the rice vermacelli noodles sound good i'll try that next..i've considered the corn based, i heard they are thicker and not as delicate as the other types but i will give that a go also..there is a superstore close to me so that works out

i was at my health food store the othe day and the guy said that i most likely will not find any potatoe based pasta here in canada

i will keep searching for websites with the best prices

thanks again

Personally I prefer the corn pasta although it is pricey. I buy Mrs Leepers corn pasta at Atlantic Superstore which is the same as Loblaws I think.

I'm a fan of Schar corn and rice pasta (mixed) and Tinkyada Rice pasta. Those are my favorites so far. Let me know how you make out on the vermicelli. The last time I made it, it got gooey, but I find bigger, thicker pasta shapes -- penne, rigatoni, etc -- turn out just fine.

I'm a fan of Schar corn and rice pasta (mixed) and Tinkyada Rice pasta. Those are my favorites so far. Let me know how you make out on the vermicelli. The last time I made it, it got gooey, but I find bigger, thicker pasta shapes -- penne, rigatoni, etc -- turn out just fine.

I also think Schar's rice and corn blend is great. The texture is just like (I remember) traditional pasta and it tastes good too.

If you can order from Amazon, they carry a pasta I only just found - bionaturae Organic Gluten free pasta. It's made with rice, potato, and soy flour. I've not had good luck with any of the other pasta's I've tried, so I was leery of trying another, ESPECIALLY as expensive as they are to test out.

I'm really glad I found this brand - and even happier to find it cheaper online! It doesn't have to be rinsed like so many of the rice pastas, and has a nice chew.

Another option that is becoming a fast favorite in my home - soba noodles. The 100% buckwheat kinds are really wonderful - taste a bit like a nice nutty whole wheat spaghetti.

I'm glad to hear that Schar's rice/corn pasta is great. I just picked up a package today.

thanks again

i'm wondering though how often people here really consume pasta because i'm seeing such high prices..if someone is preparing pasta for like a picnic or party or something then i can understand ..but for regular consumption i can't imagine paying over $3.50 for a 10oz package..the fact that the celiac crowd can enjoy pasta is wonderful but still i don't know maybe i'm a cheapo

i'll be trying out the rice vermacelli today..looking foreward to at some point trying the corn pasta sounds interesting

as always i will keep looking and post if i find any great deals

:)

You are very right about the cost being a huge factor - before celiac, pasta was a go to meal staple. I likely made it 3-4 times a week (different ways of course) before! It was cheap, filling, and easy to get made quickly (My husband and I made a terrible mistake with our friends. We were the first to buy a house and always have food on hand. I fed a lot of random dropper-byers and pasta made it possible!)

But now? When some brands hit $5 for less than a pound?

I might have pasta 2x a MONTH. And only if it's just my husband and I. Now that I've found a cheaper source for soba noodles, I might have it a little more often (a 14oz package of soba will make dinner for the two of us, and enough leftovers for his lunch and my own for several days).

The one thing that might change it to a little more often and not just a once in a while treat will be if I can get a pasta recipe I'm working on put together to my satisfaction. Than... maybe move it to once a week. But otherwise? At the cost, I'm too cheap to blow such a large chunk of my weekly grocery budget on a single bag of pasta!

thanks again

i'm wondering though how often people here really consume pasta because i'm seeing such high prices..if someone is preparing pasta for like a picnic or party or something then i can understand ..but for regular consumption i can't imagine paying over $3.50 for a 10oz package..the fact that the celiac crowd can enjoy pasta is wonderful but still i don't know maybe i'm a cheapo

i'll be trying out the rice vermacelli today..looking foreward to at some point trying the corn pasta sounds interesting

as always i will keep looking and post if i find any great deals

:)

I pay $7.50 per 18 oz. box of Le Veneziane pasta and just would never go back to rice/potato based pasta's. There is that much of a difference! My husband, the gluten eater in my household, absolutely loves that brand and it's well worth the price. However, I only eat pasta about 2-3 times per month but it's more because I feel better eating less carbs. If you want to control your weight, for those of you with a problem, cutting way back on carbs is the only way that keeps it off. I am blessed that I can afford these prices also...that makes a huge difference. My feeling has always been you buy the expensive stuff, if at all possible, if that's what keeps you happy and following the diet. Celiacs really deserve good food also!

I buy the Sam's Mills corn-based pasta from Amazon. It is by far the most economical gluten-free pasta on the market. I also use rice pasta from Trader Joe's but I have found that I can't get the spaghetti to cook up right at all; I stick to the spirals and macaroni-type shapes.

I'm always watching for sales on Amazon and buy enough to last me several months until the next sale. :)

I have heard that Big Lots carries Sam's Mills corn pasta sometimes, too, but I've never seen it at my local store.

I agree with Magpie 100%. I just tried Bionaturae pasta (found it marked down at a store, out of date but still good!) and I'm in love. I've been buying Ancient Harvest Quinoa Pasta from Amazon. Pretty good deal at $2.00/box but you can buy it from the manufacturer in bulk for MUCH less.

Anyway, this Bionaturae pasta is even better! It holds together perfectly and has a great texture. It's expensive at $3.50/bag on Amazon, but I'll just use it for myself once a week or so. The rest of the fam gets quinoa pasta, they aren't picky :)

We used to eat pasta 3-5 times a week before going gluten free, but we eat it about once a week now. Much cheaper.

Oh, by the way, just made a garlic butter sauce with lemon juice, oregano, parsley, Smart Balance, minced garlic, pepper, and parmesan cheese with the pasta. AMAZING!! My son just ate 3 bowls. And he's only 2 1/2 :) If only the pasta were cheaper!