kannne

How To Make The Bread Darker?

Rate this topic

I use a gluten free flour blend that is high in fiber, but it is very white. So when I make bread people think it is loaf. I make lots of bread every week for 5 families because they don

I use a gluten free flour blend that is high in fiber, but it is very white. So when I make bread people think it is loaf. I make lots of bread every week for 5 families because they don

Thanks for answer.

I now it is a stupid question and I don't care but the people I bake to do care.

CIMG2067.jpg

Thanks for answer.

I now it is a stupid question and I don't care but the people I bake to do care.

It's not a stupid question at all. It's just that the word "loaf" refers to the shape of the bread, not the color so I thought maybe you intended to use another word but I couldn't imagine what it could be. It was the wording that was confusing to me, not the subject. It's understandable that people can have feelings about things being a certain color, texture etc.

Thanks for answer.

CIMG2067.jpg

I think that bread looks beautiful! Pass me a piece ;)

I think that bread looks beautiful! Pass me a piece ;)

I agree, I think it looks great! I will take a piece and the recipe.

I don't use any recipe.. I just mix what I have until I get the right texture ;)

About the spelling: In norwegian we say "loff" to a white bread and "kneip" to a darker bread. So thats why I thought that Loaf must be the same as loff.

What do you call a white bread in english?

About the spelling: In norwegian we say "loff" to a white bread and "kneip" to a darker bread. So thats why I thought that Loaf must be the same as loff.

Now, I understand.

I just call it "white bread" :lol: and a darker bread "whole grain bread".

Please don't feel that I was picking on your English. My own husband is a non-native speaker. I just wanted to understand so that I could offer the best help.

I agree with others, your bread looks very good!

Now, I understand.

I just call it "white bread" :lol: and a darker bread "whole grain bread".

Please don't feel that I was picking on your English. My own husband is a non-native speaker. I just wanted to understand so that I could offer the best help.

I agree with others, your bread looks very good!

No problem :)

I just want to learn ;)

Thanks for answer.

CIMG2067.jpg

Your bread looks beautiful!I have seen in some whole grain breads cocoa powder as an ingredientm maybe you can try.

I do know what people mean by liking a dark bread, I do as well. I make a Flax Bread that looks dark like whole wheat bread, and has that texture as well. Perhaps if you add 1/4 cup flax seed meal, you will get the results you want. If you would like the recipe I could give post.

I don't use any recipe.. I just mix what I have until I get the right texture ;)

Well, tell us what you're mixing! That bread looks amazing.

Well, tell us what you're mixing! That bread looks amazing.

White rice flour, maize starch, husk, lupin flour, pofiber, xanthangum, maize flour ++

White rice flour, maize starch, husk, lupin flour, pofiber, xanthangum, maize flour ++

To darken the bread add Buckwheat flour or dark teff + Black Strap Molasses instead of sugar.

Presume the 'Husk' is Psyllium husk for added fibre.

Best Regards,

David

To darken the bread add Buckwheat flour or dark teff + Black Strap Molasses instead of sugar.

Presume the 'Husk' is Psyllium husk for added fibre.

Best Regards,

David

I have tried several things the last weeks. I have tried adding teff flour but then the bread did not look good.

I have told them :)

I have decided not to change my "original" recipe but I have created a new recipe using cocoa and millet. They really like it. I will take some pictures tomorrow.

I need to make 12 bread :)

DSC00423.jpg

Normal bread:

IMG_2148.jpg

With cocoa and millet:

IMG_2132.jpg

IMG_2136.jpg

I think it looks good. I hope I one day can eat them!

I have made maybe 200 bread of this type but I have never tasted them because I need to do SCD ;)

Bette Hagman uses a Rye flavor powder to make gluten free rye bread. That might help.

It doesn't seem to be commonly available though. She lists her supplier as Authentic Foods in California but I don't know if it is sold anywhere else.

The color of buckwheat flour depends greatly on how it is milled. Most brands in the USA are very light in color, often off-white to beige in shade, or similar to white rice flour. Brown teff could be a good choice, though the flavor may be another matter to consider, depending upon how dark you want the bread to be. Add some caraway seed and it can be reminiscent of "rye" bread. Brown rice flour is another, but personally I've found rice flours to be gritty compared to all other gluten-free flours. Nut meal such as almond will not only darken the bread, but add a nutty, more hardy flavor.

<EDIT>

Didn't see your latest posts. Looks like your customers didn't want as dark a bread as a "whole grain" or rustic type of bread. You may therefore want to try ivory teff, as it has a light brown/tan color. It also imparts a nice aroma IMO. Amaranth also gives a nice flavor and aroma, and helps more with browning in the oven.

Some additional ideas I thought of:

1) Try dark roast carob powder instead of cocoa, as it is not bitter.

2) Try mesquite flour, which has a wonderful aroma and flavor. It has a color and flavor similar to mocha, cocoa and cinnamon combined.

3) Some bean flours can add a nice color. Black bean flour is one of the darkest I am aware of, though I've not tried it. Bean flours can also provide a nice texture, plus greater nutritional value than most other flours.